Home My YFS

Currie Star Colts crowned Pilmar Smith cup winners

Edinburgh City FC 1

Hepburn 70+2

Currie Star Colts 1

Slawson 3
  • Final Result: Edinburgh City 1-1 Currie Star Colts (AET, Currie win 3-1 on penalties)
  • Friday, 27 March 2015
  • Saughton Enclosure
  • Under 14´s
  • Pilmar Smith Cup
Currie Star Colts were taken all the way by Edinburgh City in the Pilmar Smith Cup on a cold night at Saughton enclosure with Currie Star Colts coming out on top 3-1 after a penalty shoot out after the game finish 1-1 after aet.
The first chance of the game came Currie Star Colts way two minutes into the half when Cengiz should have put his team in front but headed wide. A minute later Currie Star Colts did hit the front when Jamie Slawson put the ball past Ben Methven in the Edinburgh City goal from eight yards out.
Edinburgh City came close through Alexander Thomson but his delightful lob over Treschman in the Currie Star Colts goal just went wide of the far post and then Niven had a good chance to level but like his team mate previous he put his effort wide. Brandon McCutcheon then saw his 20 yard effort sneak past Curries left hand post.
Thomson was next to create for Edinburgh City when he played a ball through for Craig Liddle but there was just to much on it which allowed Treschman time to come out and collect.
A penalty claim for Edinburgh City was turned down by referee Brian Wilson after Thomson drove into the box from the right and went down after a challenge from Cameron Lawrie on 29 minutes.
Curries Luis Paul Wood thought he was away after he latched onto a through ball but Edinburgh City's Callum Scott and Anthony White combined to stop his progress towards goal.
At the other end of the field Stuart Angus McKenzie produced a great tackle to halt Callum Jardine on the edge of Currie's 18 yard box. McCutcheon then finished off the first half with a 25 yard drive but it did not trouble Treschman in the Currie goal.
  • Half Time:
  • Edinburgh City FC
  • 0-1
  • Currie Star Colts
Into the second half and both teams started at a good tempo. Currie Star Colts created the better chances with Wood coming close after a snap shot then goal scorer Slawson tried his luck but failed to hit the target.
Currie won a corner on the right and Fraser Sayers whipped in the ball which was met by Slawson but he failed to hit the target.
Edinburgh City thought they had levelled the game on the 64th minute when Hepburn slotted home but the off side flag ended his celebration prematurely.
Wood latched onto a through ball for Currie a minute later but from 20 yards out he fired wide of the right post.
With time running out for Edinburgh City it looked like Currie Star Colts were going to see out the final minutes of the game with their one goal lead in tact.
Into two minutes of added on time the game was turned on its head when Hepburn lobbed the out rushing Treschman with the last kick of the ball in regulation time to take the match to extra time.
  • Full Time:
  • Edinburgh City FC
  • 1-1
  • Currie Star Colts
Currie Star Colts had the better of the extra time period but could not find the goal to prevent this cup final going to the dreaded penalty shoot out partly due to some Edinburgh City resolute defending.

Edinburgh City took the early advantage when they scored their first penalty and saw Currie Star Colts first spot kick saved. But the score was levelled when Edinburgh City saw their second spot kick saved and Currie Star Colts converted.

The advantage swung heavily into Currie Star Colts favour when Edinburgh City saw their second penalty of the night saved and Currie Star Colts blasted home from their next attempt. Edinburgh City saw the cup slipping from their grasp as another saved penalty meant if Currie Star Colts scored with their next spot kick they would be crowned champions.

Currie Star Colts made no mistake as Sayers slotted home to decisive spot kick to win the cup.

Youth Football Scotland: Website Photos &emdash;

Final Result: Final Result: Edinburgh City 1-1 Currie Star Colts (AET, Currie win 3-1 on penalties)


Edinburgh City FC
Currie Star Colts
1. Ben Methven
2. Lee Alexander
3. Craig Liddle
4. Callum Scott
5. Nathan Graham-Donn
6. Lucas Denholm
7. Jaden Steele
8. Jack Johnson
10. Oliver Niven
11. Leon Hepburn
15. Callum Jardine
16. Jack Morrison
17. Euan Harley
19. Alexander Thomson
20. Anthony White
23. Brandon McCutcheon
1. Andrew Treschman
2. Blair McDonald
3. Stuart Angus McKenzie
4. Joshua Mathew Nicholls
5. Teo Anter Cengiz
6. Cameron Lawrie
8. Luis Paul Wood
9. Rory Butler O'Brien
10. Fraser Sayers
11. Finlay Stewart
12. Oliver Couts
14. Iyad Al-Qasem
15. Camron Littlejohn
16. Calum Shand
18. Jamie Slawson
19. Dylan Smith
Star Player
Edinburgh City FC
Currie Star Colts
Brandon McCutcheon - A good technical player who worked hard in midfield and created a lot for his team on the night.
Teo Anter Cengiz - A rock at the back for Currie.
Magic Moment
Edinburgh City FC
Currie Star Colts
Leon Hepburns equaliser to take the match into extra time in added on time of regulation play.
Andrew Treschman three penalty saves to help his team win the cup.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments