Home My YFS

Peebles U14's hold firm to defeat Fernieside FC

Fernieside FC 0

Peebles FC 2

Carrie 15, Ryalls 53
  • Sunday, 26 April 2015
  • Drum Park
  • Under 14´s
  • South East Region Youth Football League Division 2
Louis Moorehead

Louis Moorehead | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Peebles put in a solid defensive performance to claim a 2-0 victory away at Fernieside FC, with a goal either side of half time proving enough to give them the three points. Jules Carrie tapped home from close range in the first half, before Joe Ryalls pounced on a loose clearance to hammer the ball in. Fernieside, who sit 24 points behind Peebles in the 2nd Division, were industrious going forward but could not find the required spark needed to break down the Peebles defence.

After a slight delay to kick off the game got underway on a slightly overcast Drum Park.

The opening exchanges were predictably tense, neither team wanting to make a serious mistake early in the game. This resulted in a lot of long clearances from each defence and some frantic pressing in the midfield department.

After the first five minutes though, Peebles started to apply some extended pressure. First, Joe Robertson with a surging drive from midfield, leaving the other midfielders in his wake before some composed defending stopped him on the edge of the box.

Minutes later, Jules Carrie curls a shot onto the Fernieside crossbar after some great build-up play around the box. The rebound fell to Jordan Hogarth, who’s low shot was well saved by the Fernieside keeper Sebastian Lacomme.

This pressure continued, but Fernieside grew into the game well and started to hit the opposition on the break. Daniel Abubakar held the ball up well on the halfway line before engaging on a smart run, laying a smart through ball in the 14th minute to Harry Churchmichle, who ambitiously fired a half volley from outside the box just over the Peebles crossbar.

Just as the games momentum looked to be shifting to Fernieside, Peebles grabbed a goal. In the 15th minute, Carrie tapped home at the far post after a great teasing cross from Hogarth from the left wing that left the defence flat footed; a calm finish that left the keeper with no chance.

After that moment the game started to open up and each team grew in confidence. Abubakar, whose direct running was a threat all game for Fernieside, advanced on the Peebles defence in the 20th minute, beating a defender and shooting just over.

The pressure continued after the goal, Peebles shooting wide on several occasions before Lacomme was tested in the 25th minute, rushing quickly off his line to nullify a one-on-one opportunity. Throughout this period of extended pressure, the Fernieside defence stood strong, Byron Martin in particular putting in some great challenges as well as marshalling his backline.

Ferniesides best chance came in the 28th minute, with only a lick of paint of the post denying them. The build-up play was good - a corner on the right hand side was headed back out by the Peebles defence, only to be quickly floated back into the box. Abubakar rose highest to flick the ball on, it was cleared off the line, just, and the resulting shot from the left of the box hammered off the post.

The pace dropped after that though, each team looking to close out the half quietly without conceding a goal before the break. 

  • Half Time:
  • Fernieside FC
  • 0-1
  • Peebles FC

Straight from kick off, Peebles showed their intent, pressing from the first whistle and forcing a mistake from the Fernieside defence, with Carrie shooting just over.

In the 39th minute, Peebles’ Hogarth forced a fantastic top corner save from Lacomme, after a defence splitting through ball from Joe Robertson set up the opportunity. The following 10 minutes followed suit, with Peebles creating the best chances, but Fernieside help on resolutely and tried to counter when the chance arose.

During this period though, Fernieside keeper Lacomme came to the fore, keeping his time in contention for as long as he could. In the 49th minute he was quickly off his line to deny Tom Kaljee a clear cut chance. Next he got down low to save a smart shot towards his near post, and finally, possibly the best save of the half, he saved a shot from point blank range after a low teasing ball from a Peebles corner.

However he was finally beaten in the 53rd minute, and again it was thanks to some consistent pressing from the Peebles attackers. A comfortable ball into the Fernieside box is controlled by a defender, but after some good pressure from the opposition his clearance is cut out on the edge of the box - a loose ball along the face of goal just by the edge of the area. Without much hesitation, Joe Ryalls pounced on the ball and hammered in high above the keepers reach. An emphatic finish, just as Lacomme was beginning to look unbeatable in the 2nd half.

This sparked a revival for Fernieside though, as they started to attack with much more intensity; Cameron Orr in particular become more and more dangerous on the left flank. In the 63rd minute he beats a player on the left wing and floats a great ball in, which was just headed over by Cameron McKinnon.

Fernieside pressed more and more, winning a corner a minute later. Up stepped Orr, who hit a teasing in-swinging cross from the right hand side; any touch inside the box would have resulted in a goal, but it was just out of reach. The pattern of the game changed from here on in, with Peebles defending deeper and hitting the opposition on the occasional break.

With the match drawing to a close, Fernieside looked determined to earn some pride and get onto the score sheet, Orr again looking most likely to set up a goal with his crossing ability, but Peebles held on and the referee blew his whistle.

While the scoreline may look one-sided, the game itself was very even for long periods. The key difference seemed to be that Peebles often looked more creative going forward, varying their attacking play throughout. 

  • Full Time:
  • Fernieside FC
  • 0-2
  • Peebles FC


Fernieside FC
Peebles FC
1. Sebastian Lacomme
2. Cameron Orr
3. Lewis Henderson
4. James McCallum
5. Dylan Rigby
6. Darren Gallagher
7. Harry Churchmichle
8. Hisam Elbhogdaddy
9. Cameron Mckinnon
10. Jasanth Mathew
11. Jack Cheye
12. Ryan O'Donnell
14. Daniel Abubakar
15. Jack Hartley
16. Euan Reid
17. Byron Martin
1. Felipe Ortega
2. Ross Aitken
3. Joe Robertson
4. Scott Lawson
5. Jacon Findlay
6. Joe Ryalls
7. Jules Carrie
8. Jamie Lawson
9. Tom Kaljee
10. Jack Farrand
11. Dylan Murray
12. Aaron Smith
14. Jordan Hogarth
15. Luke Houten
16. Sam Ho
Star Player
Fernieside FC
Peebles FC
Cameron Orr - While Byron Martin marshalled the defence well, and Lacomme looked composed in goals, Orr always looked the most likely to set up a goal for Fernieside. Several good crosses from the left flank, as well as some good corners and long throws, tested the Peebles defence on several occasions.
Joe Robertson - Controlled the game for Peebles, driving forward with the ball when needed and setting up numerous chances, as well as picking up any loose passes in the midfield. A tidy performance that lay the foundations for his teams victory.
Magic Moment
Fernieside FC
Peebles FC
Hitting the post in the first half was probably the attacking highlight, a result of some quick thinking after an unsuccessful corner.
Peebles started each half brightly, but the opening quarter of the game set the tone, particularly when Carrie curled a shot onto the bar from the edge of the box. The consistent spell of pressure highlighted their closing down, a feature that served them well.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments