Home My YFS

Dalkeith Miners defeat Gala Fairydean Rovers in goal-filled thriller

Dalkeith Miners FC 6

Rutherford 5' Mitchell 10' Wyllie 60' Hamilton 67' Cottrell 80' Cassidy 80+3'

Gala Fairydean Rovers FC 4

Henderson 42' Hutton 45' 68' Halls 70'
  • Sunday, 16 August 2015
  • Cowden Park
  • Under 16´s
  • South East Region Youth Football League
Gregor Kerr

Gregor Kerr | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

We have all been starved of football for months now, but the wait was finally over as Gala Fairydean Rovers and Dalkeith Miners kicked off their season in the South East Region YFL. Dalkeith kicked off the match facing the sloping end, and they used it to effect in the early stages.

It only took a minute for the first chance to be created, as Dalkeith’s Kieran Williamson went close with a low effort which trickled to the left of the goal. Only a minute later Williamson was in the thick of the action again, as his shot was deflected behind for a corner, which ultimately came to nothing.

The deadlock was broken in the fifth minute by Dalkeith. Matthew Beattie picked up the ball, surged at the defence, and slipped in Morgan Rutherford who calmly stroked the ball into the bottom right corner. With eight minutes played, Dalkeith looked in control. Williamson drilled a low cross into the box and Rutherford came close to grabbing his second, but was denied by Tyler Grainger in goals.

It was only a matter of five minutes before the second goal was scored by Dalkeith. Beattie was again the creator, as he lofted a ball over the top which Euan Mitchell hit first time with an audacious chip from just outside the box. He was right to attempt it, as the ball nestled into the back of the net and gifted Dalkeith a two-goal cushion. Gala had a big task ahead of them, although they were right up for it, as Warren Hutton’s persistence won a corner in the twenty-third minute, which he then came close to scoring from but his header was just wide of the post.

Gala came very close to reducing the deficit in the 32nd minute. Andrew Callow fizzed a low ball across the six-yard box, Ben Swan was first to connect as his effort smacked off the bar and into the keeper’s hands. Tyler Grainger in the Dalkeith goal was again tested, as he parried away Swan’s low effort at his near post in the 36th minute. Just before half time Dalkeith nearly extended their lead, Beattie had a dig from outside the box and the ball bounced in front of goalkeeper Jordan Cherrie, who adjusted well to prevent a third goal.

  • Half Time:
  • Dalkeith Miners FC
  • 2-2
  • Gala Fairydean Rovers FC

Gala kicked off the second half facing down the slope this time, and they came close to scoring a quick goal in the 42nd minute. From a free kick, Swan drew a fantastic save from Grainger, who forced the ball away from the bottom right corner.

Only two minutes later Gala pulled a goal back, a ball across the box led to a goal mouth scramble, Nathan Henderson stuck his leg out last and forced the ball into the net, game on.

Three minutes later and Gala were level, Swan delivered the ball from the right-hand side touchline, Hutton stuck his head out and levelled the scores. The comeback was complete only seven minutes into the second half.

Then, Rutherford, who opened the scoring earlier, raced down the wing and dug out a cross which fell to the feet of Fraser Jackson, his right-footed effort flew narrowly wide of the post.

The 60th minute saw the next goal in this enthralling encounter, and it came for Dalkeith. Connor Hamilton shot across goal, Grainger was able to save his effort, but Reece Wyllie was ready on the spot, and he converted an easy chance to gift his side a 3-2 lead.

Within seven minutes they restored their two-goal cushion, a cross from the right wing was deep and evaded everyone inside the box. Everyone except for Hamilton, who brought the ball down, and showed great composure by placing his shot into the far post, 4-2 to Dalkeith with 12 minutes remaining, any comeback looked a major doubt.

Those doubts were squashed immediately thanks to a sensational goal from Hutton, straight from kickoff the number nine picked up the ball, eased his way past two players, and took aim from 25 yards out - a speculative, but superb effort which soared into the top right corner and Gala were right back in the game.

Not even a minute had passed by before they scored again, as Brendan Jack broke from midfield and won his side a corner, which he then put on a plate for Halls, who nestled his header into the bottom corner. Two goals in as many minutes for Gala, who had once again came from two goals down to level the score line.

The goals were flooding in at that point, and in the 80th minute Dalkeith looked like they had won the game with a late effort. A long free kick was taken from the halfway line, causing havoc in the box. Ryan Cottrell was the coolest man in Cowden Park as he stroked the ball into the back of the net, causing wild celebrations from the Dalkeith players.

Three minutes into injury time and their win was sealed, Liam Cassidy latched onto a through ball, rounded the goalkeeper, and slammed his shot into the roof of the net. Promising signs from both sides, but it proved to be Dalkeith’s day after an exhausting and exhilarating afternoon at Cowden Park.

  • Full Time:
  • Dalkeith Miners FC
  • 6-4
  • Gala Fairydean Rovers FC


Dalkeith Miners FC
Gala Fairydean Rovers FC
1. Jordan Cherrie
2. Ethan Singh
3. Robert Cole
4. Matthew Scotland
5. Melvin Muturi
6. Matthew Beattie
7. Keiran Williamson
8. Ryan Cottrell
9. Connor Hamilton
10. Fraser Jackson
11. Robbie Yuill
12. Morgan Rutherford
14. Reece Wyllie
15. Euan Mitchell
16. Aiden Gillespie
17. Aaron Abrahams
18. Liam Cassidy
1. Tyler Grainger
2. Michael Jamieson
3. Ross Hutchison
4. Alastair Robinson
5. Brendan Jack
6. Ross Caverhill
7. Joe Fairgrieve
8. Andrew Callow
9. Warren Hutton
10. Nathan Henderson
11. Ben Swan
12. Ben Mitchell
13. Gary Goodfellow
14. Kerr Halls
15. Tom Darling
16. Cameron Dagleish
Star Player
Dalkeith Miners FC
Gala Fairydean Rovers FC
Matthew Beattie - The Dalkeith captain ran the midfield with his passing and reading of the game.
Warren Hutton - The striker caused the Dalkeith defence problems all day with his direct running and clinical finishing.
Magic Moment
Dalkeith Miners FC
Gala Fairydean Rovers FC
Connor Hamilton's goal showed composure, vision and class.
Warren Hutton's wonder goal to make the scores 4-3 was sensational.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments