Home My YFS

Kelso's pace too much for Selkirk

Selkirk FC 1

McLean 9'

Kelso FC 9

Angus 2' Gillie 12' 25' 44' 56' Fleming 26' 38' Robertson 58' de Bolle 60' 68' Crombie 65'
  • Sunday, 04 October 2015
  • Yarrow Park, Selkirk
  • Under 17´s
  • SBJFA League
Blair Meikle

Blair Meikle | YFS Scottish Borders Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]and.co.uk

The goals started coming early in this fixture, and they did not stop. Both teams grabbed a goal inside the first ten minutes, but then they dried up for Selkirk and Kelso ran away with it.
On the balance of play you would not have said there was ten goals of a difference between the sides. But the speed of Kelso’s forward play was frightening at times and they got their rewards. Greg Gillie in particular was on fine form, helping himself to four goals and being heavily involved in several of the others.
It took only two minutes for the deadlock to be broken. Kelso defender Ryan Angus was the man to do it, smashing home a half volley after the ball had broken to him from a corner.
Scott Nisbet then made an impressive double save to keep Selkirk in it, although the referee had called offside from the second attempt anyway.
After nine minutes, the home side were level. They were awarded a free kick about 25 yards out and Cameron McLean expertly bent it round the wall and into the corner.
Selkirk could actually have gone in front when a chipped pass played in Matthew Francis. His low effort was saved by the right foot of Bailey Todd. This was made worse when the visitors went straight up the other end and scored. Gillie got his first of the day, bursting through to edge Kelso in front.
The trio of Gillie, James de Bolle and Ross Mackay were looking really in the mood now. The willingness of all three to run at and commit defenders was the catalyst of chance after chance.
Keiran Fleming hit the post after being set up by de Bolle, Gillie had a header saved after a great volleyed cross by Kai Robertson and de Bolle hit the byline again only for Robertson’s shot to be cleared off the line.
Selkirk’s main outlet was Henry Antcliffe, the left winger’s trickery giving Kelso’s Angus something to think about.
Antcliffe earned McLean another chance to score from a dead ball when he was brought down just outside the box. Another good effort was saved by Todd.
But Kelso sneaked further ahead on 25 minutes. Gillie had just had a shot saved after good work by Jamie Cockburn, and he then knicked it off a defender just outside the box before driving in and dispatching it low into the net.
And it was four only a minute later. Fleming managed to avoid the woodwork this time with a powerful strike from the edge of the area.
Selkirk attempted to turn the tide and Kyle Adamson had a strike saved before Francis nearly capitalised on a spill by Kelso keeper Todd. He seemed to be caught in two minds between going alone or trying a cut back, and couldn’t apply either.
Ruthless Kelso again scored immediately after a Selkirk chance. Gillie outstripped the defence before crossing for Fleming to score.
  • Half Time:
  • Selkirk FC
  • 1-5
  • Kelso FC
The goals kept coming in the second half and it was 6-1 four minutes in. De Bolle and Robertson combined down the right to set up Gillie for his hat trick.
Any team would struggle to cope with the pace of Kelso’s front men and they continued to attack with real intent.
De Bolle in particular was creating opportunities from the right wing with his direct running.
The seventh came on 56 minutes. Gillie got on the scoresheet again, this time with a header from Fleming’s cross.
Two further goals were to follow within the next six minutes. Cockburn’s defence splitting pass played in Robertson who took it round Nisbett and tucked it away. Then on the hour mark, de Bolle cut in from the right and got the goal he deserved.
In a game featuring eleven goals, to score the goal of the game is really quite an achievement. And that honour fell upon James Crombie. Mackay played a big part in it, a quite spectacular outside of the foot pass finding Crombie one on one with the keeper. A delicate lob from the substitute was to follow, leaving Nisbett with no chance.
The final goal was scored twelve minutes from time by de Bolle. He was on the end of a goalmouth scramble after Crombie and Gillie had both done well to keep the ball alive.
The final score line was harsh on Selkirk, who were very much in the game until midway through the first half. Kelso took their chances at that point to streak ahead and then showed no let up. 
  • Full Time:
  • Selkirk FC
  • 1-9
  • Kelso FC


Selkirk FC
Kelso FC
1. Scott Nisbett
2. Henry Antcliffe
3. Joseph Milligan
4. Matthew Gentleman
5. Cameron McLean
6. Sam Borthwick
7. Matthew Francis
8. Scott Clark
9. Tom Elliot
11. Luke McInally
12. Declan Williamson
13. Gregor Grahame
14. Kyle Adamson
15. Dominic Burke
17. Travis Atherton
18. Fraser Easson
1. Bailey Todd
2. Ryan Angus
3. Joe Robertson
4. Cameron Reid
5. Finlay Hogg
6. James De Bolle
7. Keiran Fleming
8. Jamie Cockburn
9. Ross Mackay
10. Greg Gillie
11. Kai Robertson
15. James Crombie
16. Gordon Fleming
19. Joe Purves
Star Player
Selkirk FC
Kelso FC
Matthew Francis - Put in a big shift up front in the first half, before being moved to midfield. Worked hard and led the line well, always looking to create something.
Greg Gillie - All of Kelso's attacking players were on fire but Gillie's goals just separates him from the rest. Like his colleagues, he is frighteningly quick and was a constant threat.
Magic Moment
Selkirk FC
Kelso FC
Cameron McLean's free kick was expertly executed and gave his side brief hope.
The combination of Ross Mackay's outside of the foot pass and James Crombie's exquisite lob made for a quite beautiful goal.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments