Home My YFS

Currie Star U19's keep good form going against Edinburgh City

Currie Star FC 8

Watt 7' McGovern 53' 87' Ross 54' 66' 71' 88' Quinn 70'

Edinburgh City FC 2

Mitchell 64' 86'
  • Saturday, 10 October 2015
  • Malleny Park
  • Under 19´s
  • Bob Bankier Trophy
Daniel Dormer

Daniel Dormer | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Currie Star were looking to build on their form from the first division against Edinburgh City as the two teams were matched up together in the Bob Bankier Trophy. Edinburgh City have had less league joy, only managing two points after seven games. Another challenge came in the form of their goalkeeper who was starting in goals for them for the first time.
The game kicked of with a very energetic start as Sean Watt made a promising cross into the box from the left wing to the back post where Dominic Kane took the ball on the half-volley only to see his shot go over the bar.
After just seven minutes Currie took the lead as Jackson Barker played it to Kane on the right wing. He then crossed to Watt at the far post who finished his first time shot into the bottom right corner of the net.
Edinburgh started to get into the game and use their possession well. Steven Nicolson hit the ball high in the air towards the Currie box from a volley. A defender headed the ball out, but only as far as David Campbell. He hit a hard strike from the volley but Cameron Heohle managed to save it easily for Currie.
The home side went back onto the attack as Kane made a great drive into the box from the right, beating a few players before his shot was deflected behind for a corner.
Currie's next chance was supplied by full-back Donnie Campbell who made an overlapping run on the right wing. He was given the ball before crossing it in to McGovern who tried an ambitious overhead kick, making good contact with the ball but sending it over the crossbar.
The home side came close again as Ross had the ball outside the box on the right wing. It looked like he tried a cross but the ball ended up hitting the crossbar before being safely cleared.
Nicolson had the next opportunity as Shaun Picken passed the ball to him, whilst making an overlapping run. Nicolson went for the shot that had an outside bend, but it didn't bend enough and the ball ended up going wide.
Picken made the next chance as he whipped the ball into the box from a long range free kick. Josh Dancaster had an attempt of a header, but Heohle managed to catch the ball and ended the play for the half.
  • Half Time:
  • Currie Star FC
  • 1-0
  • Edinburgh City FC
Edinburgh started off the second half brightly as Ross Kneebone made a nice one-two with Campbell who played him through for the shot. Kneeebone tried to find the target, but instead could only fire across goal.
Despite their bright start, it was Currie that doubled their advantage. They managed to break through as McGovern ran onto a great ball from the halfway line and then chipped the keeper from outside the box fantastically.
The home side couldn't stop scoring now it seemed. Some nice passing around the box was followed up as Ross drove further into the box and scored to make it three.
After an hour of play Edinburgh managed to get on the score sheet. Dancaster ran down the middle of the pitch where he was tackled, but managed to win the ball back before playing through to Ross Mitchell. Mitchell then finished into the bottom left corner to bring it back to just a two goal deficit.
Currie Star got a little fortunate for their next goal with Ross taking advantage of an error at the back. He finished into the open net from outside the box to get their three goal advantage back.
Aidan Quinn managed to get himself a goal after dominating in the midfield. The ball was played into the box where Quinn hammered it into the roof of the net to make the score 5-1 with 20 minutes to go.
A minute later and they managed to score again as McGovern played a drilled cross into the box from the left wing where Ross slid to the ball and put it into the back of the net.
Despite the score line, the away side battled on and got another goal with four minutes left of the game. Mitchell ran onto a ball played over the top before beating the keeper and slotting it in.
Unfortunately for Edinburgh, Currie Star had not finished their scoring yet. McGovern got on the end of another cross, finishing into the bottom right corner.
A minute later the scoring was complete for Currie. McGovern turned provider by playing through Ross, who despite having his initial shot saved by Cleeton, got onto the rebound to seal a comprehensive victory.
  • Full Time:
  • Currie Star FC
  • 8-2
  • Edinburgh City FC


Currie Star FC
Edinburgh City FC
1. Callum Thomson
2. Calum Brown
3. Domenico Pacitti
4. Jackson Barker
5. Jack Blaney
6. Liam Hutchison
7. Dominic Kane
8. Calum McDonald
9. Cameron Ross
10. Mark McGovern
11. Sean Watt
12. Nathan Stokes
13. Cameron Heohle
14. Gianmario Falsone
15. Aidan Quinn
17. Donnie Campbell
18. Greg Benson
1. Liam Cleeton
2. Shaun Picken
3. Liam Boath
7. Steven Nicolsen
8. Ryan Ward
9. Ross Mitchell
10. Ross Kneebone
11. Benjamin Gilhooley
12. David Campbell
14. Rory Anderson
16. Mathew Downie
17. Josh Dancaster
Star Player
Currie Star FC
Edinburgh City FC
Dominic Kane - Was very good on the pitch, making lots of explosive plays on the ball and being involved in a lot of attacking movements.
David Campbell - Worked very hard in the midfield, always trying to make moves for Edinburgh to try and get back in the game.
Magic Moment
Currie Star FC
Edinburgh City FC
McGovern's chip in the second was a brilliant goal with a clinical finishers instinct and skill to pull it off for a goal.
David Campbell's piece of skill whilst in his own corner was very ambitious but worthy as it put a lot of smiles on the faces of the players and was a great piece of skill to lighten up the mood for the away side.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments