Print this page

City stun Fairydean with stellar display in the borders

Written by  Edinburgh City FC 2000

Fixture: Gala Fairydean Rovers v Edinburgh City U16
Competition: Jackie Faichney Memorial Cup - 3rd Round
Venue: Netherdale 3G, Galashiels
Date: Sunday 15th November 2015
After having 2 weeks without a game, Edinburgh City travelled to the Borders as they met Gala Fairydean Rovers in the 3rd round of the Jackie Faichney Memorial Cup. Despite the torrential rain, the game survived thanks to the excellent 3G playing surface. Before kick off a minute’s silence was held following the tragic events in Paris which was impeccably observed by teams.
The opening stages of the game was very even with neither side able to find any real openings. Robbie Telfer’s free kick was saved by the Gala goalkeeper before the same player’s corner evaded both Ryan Foggo and Ross Loudon inside the 6 yard box just minutes later.
City were just beginning to settle and getting to grips with the game when the home side took the lead. Goalkeeper Arron Webster cleared a back pass which unfortunately landed at the feet of the Gala midfielder. His shot from the edge of the area took a wicked deflection off of Foggo, sending the helpless Webster completely the wrong way.
City's reaction to going behind was excellent and equalised almost immediately. Alistair Hogg had a half chance but couldn’t get his shot on target. Wallace Jennings then chased down the loose ball and forced the Gala defence in to an error. Jennings cross found Hogg in the penalty area, and his shot could only be parried by the goalkeeper and it crossed the line to give City a deserved equaliser, despite the best efforts of the Gala defender on the line.

Half Time: Gala Fairydean Rovers 1-1 Edinburgh City

The second half performance from City was superb from start to finish, and they took the lead for the first time in the match only 2 minutes into the second period. A lovely through ball from Foggo was controlled first time by Hogg, and with a sublime touch on the edge of the area and he swivelled and shot on the half volley finding the top corner. An excellent finish from the young striker.
City were seeing more of the ball but Gala were far from out of this and only an excellent save from Webster kept City in the game when the Gala striker looked certain to score. The visitors were looking for the third goal and it duly arrived as midfield maestro Jamie Black combined well with Chris Bennett who then found captain Aidan Lawson in the centre. Lawson picked out Patterson Marfo with a pin point pass, and the big striker turned superbly and finished with a low drive into the bottom corner.
Although City were 3-1 up Gala it was Webster again that prevented Gala from making it a very interesting final 10 minutes. A free kick just outside the area looked destined for the back of the net, but somehow Webster managed to get fingertips to the ball and tipping it on to the cross bar in the process, before Deans cleared to safety.
City secured their place in the next round when Telfer picked up a loose ball on the edge of the box, spotted the goalkeeper off his line, and delightfully chipped the goalkeeper to put City 4-1 up and complete a superb result, considering Gala are in the division above.
Full Time: Gala Fairydean Rovers 1-4 Edinburgh City

Related items

Login to post comments