Home My YFS

United see off City in an all Edinburgh cup tie

Edinburgh City FC 3

Rae 21', Dag 59', Kelly 77'

Edinburgh United FC 5

McDaid 18', Lee 26', 33', 74', Watson 51'
  • Saturday, 23 January 2016
  • Forrester High School 3G
  • Under 17´s
  • Tom Wilson Memorial Cup
Jack Whitlam

Jack Whitlam | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Edinburgh United progress to the second round of the Tom Wilson Memorial Cup after beating Edinburgh City 5-3 on a windy Saturday afternoon. With both teams languishing in the bottom half of the league, today’s cup match was an opportunity for a win to see them kick on in second half of the season.
The home side, Edinburgh City, had the wind against them in the first half and it showed in the opening exchanges as they struggled to get out of their own half.
The first significant chance of the game came in the 7th minute. A long punt across field found Ryan O’donnell who sprinted to the byline before producing a cross which found Euan Watson. Despite a fantastic cross, Watson could only direct his header wide.
In the following 10 minutes both teams found most success in the wide areas. Mohamed Dukuray, produced a cross after beating his marker, only for the cross to be collected by the City goalkeeper. At the other end of the pitch, Sean Ehsani unlocked the United defence twice with two through balls which both led to unsuccessful crosses.
The first goal went to Edinburgh United in the 18th minute following a good set piece, the first of six set pieces which led to goals during the game. Watson’s corner was whipped high into the penalty area and met by towering skipper, Liam McDaid, who headed it into the back of the net.
Edinburgh United’s lead lasted only 3 minutes however. Following an unsuccessful attack from City down the left wing, the ball bounced into the path of Ethan Rae, 25 yards from goal. On the half-volley, Rae struck the ball towards goal with real power and found the top right hand corner, lobbing the keeper, to make the score level.
The remainder of the half played out with neither side dominating possession, but United proving to be the dominant attacking force. Despite being unable to find the back of the net from open play, United’s persistence in attack was fruitful as they were awarded two penalties, one in the 26th minute and the second in the 33rd.
The first penalty came after excellent individual play by Dukuray who drove across field looking for a pass and eventually played a one-two with Lewis Adjodani and found himself in the box. With his back to goal, Dukuray performed a majestic Cruyff turn, drawing a foul from a City defender. The second penalty came when striker, Mark Mooney, drew a foul from the keeper after drawing him away from goal. Both penalties were converted calmly into the bottom right corner by Euan Lee.
A minute before half time, Russell Drummond’s corner was flicked towards goal. However, a diving save from United keeper, Thomas McArthur, prevented City going in at half time only one goal behind. Having won the midfield battle and providing a constant attacking threat, Edinburgh United deservedly went in ahead at half time 3-1.
  • Half Time:
  • Edinburgh City FC
  • 1-3
  • Edinburgh United FC
In the first five minutes of the second half it seemed as though Edinburgh City might get back into the game. With the wind behind them, City put pressure on the United backline. However, Watson picked the ball up on the right wing, skipped through the City defence and slid the ball under the keeper to make it 4-1.
Following the goal, neither team provided a significant threat and United appeared happy to see the game out.
Edinburgh City, however, scored a fluke corner with 59 minutes played. Aided by the wind, Murat Dag whipped in the corner which swung in towards the keeper who could only parry it into his own goal.
The goal didn’t change United’s game plan though as they continued to try and see the game out. The United defence kept the ball with composure, occasionally passing the ball into midfield maestro, Euan Lee, who consistently found teammates in space. United turned their possession into an attacking opportunity when Adjodani’s pass to Dukuray opened up City’s defence and Dukuray forced a spectacular save from Robbie Urquhart.
On 74 minutes, Lee completed his hatrick of penalties. Substitute Danny Peden, won the penalty following a kick by Sam Thompson and Lee converted the spot kick.
With the game at 5-2, United continued to see out the rest of the second half. The game would have remained at that score but for another set piece goal. Dag whipped in a freekick from the right wing which found its way to the back post. The United keeper was unable to collect and, following a scramble, Daniel Kelly put the ball in the back of the net with a cheeky back heel which nutmegged a United defender on its way in and sealed the victory for the visitors.
United’s solid tactical shape was to be admired, with their defence, midfield and attack performing their duties well. United, playing in red, resembled the Manchester United of old, at times, with their constant attacking threat. Despite their dominance in spells, United will have been disappointed to concede their second two goals but nothing could be done about Ethan Rae’s wonder strike.
Edinburgh City lacked confidence after they went two goals down but did well to score three goals. Had these goals come at different times, it may have been a different game but United took a deserved victory on this occasion. United will face Tynecastle FC in the second round.
  • Full Time:
  • Edinburgh City FC
  • 3-5
  • Edinburgh United FC


Edinburgh City FC
Edinburgh United FC
1. Robbie Urquhart
2. David Gibson
3. Jamie Donoghue
4. Sean Ehsani
5. Daniel Paterson
6. Daniel Doherty
7. Sam Thompson
8. Russell Drummond
11. Daniel Kelly
14. Murat Dag
15. Finlay Wells
17. Ethan Rae
19. Leo MacNeil
1. Thomas McArthur
2. Ewan Curle
3. Joseph Beaton
4. Dylan Wight
5. Liam McDaid
6. Ryan O’Donnell
7. Mark Mooney
8. Euan Lee
9. Lewis Adjodani
10. Mohamed Dukuray
11. Euan Watson
14. Danny Peden
17. Jordan Drysdale
19. Ammad Iqbal
Star Player
Edinburgh City FC
Edinburgh United FC
Ethan Rae. Star player for Edinburgh City must go to Rae for his spectacular first half strike (see magic moment for description of goal). Not only was Rae’s goal, he worked manfully to try stifle United’s dominance of midfield.
Euan Lee. Star player for Edinburgh United could have gone to a number of players however, on this occasion I think Lee deserves significant recognition. Lee worked tirelessly in midfield and did a lot of work that often goes unnoticed on a football pitch. His composure on the ball was fantastic as was his awareness of players around him. He never hurriedly gave the ball away, keeping until he could pick the right pass. On top of this commanding performance, he also scored a hat-trick.
Magic Moment
Edinburgh City FC
Edinburgh United FC
Magic moment, not just for the home side, but of the game goes to Ethan Rae’s goal on 21 minutes. A contender for goal of the season, Rae scored a goal which would not look out of place on match of the day. When the ball fell to him 25 yards from goal it was hit sweetly and rifled into the top corner away from the keepers reach.
Magic moment for the away side goes to Mohamed Dukuray’s Cruyff turn which won United a penalty. After fantastic work to keep the ball and to find a way into the penalty area it still looked like Dukuray's had a lot of work to do with his back to goal. However, his turn, which Johan himself would have been proud of, coaxed the defender into bringing him down. It’s almost a shame the defender brought Dukuray to the ground as had he scored it would have been a great individual goal.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments