Home My YFS

Fraserburgh reach final four after Capital triumph over Tynecastle

Tynecastle FC 1

Voy 60'

Fraserburgh Link Up 4

Fraser 37', Own Goal 42', Roger 79', Simpson 83'
  • Saturday, 06 February 2016
  • Meggetland 3G
  • Under 17´s
  • Scottish Youth FA Cup - Quarter Final
Jack Whitlam

Jack Whitlam | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Fraserburgh Link Up embarked on their long journey north following a 4-1 win over Tynecastle FC which sees them into the semi-final of the Scottish Youth FA Cup.
Before a ball was even kicked, this match had been dubbed ‘tie of the round’ and it was not difficult to see why with both teams enjoying success in their respective leagues. Having beaten Tynecastle FC in the same round two years prior to today’s meeting, Fraserburgh will have been forgiven for being cautiously optimistic.
However, Fraserburgh manager, Colin Simpson, was under no illusions that this would be a tough game and said he would have been happy to walk away with a 1-0 win. He will have been delighted, therefore, that Fraserburgh came out of the game as convincing winners.
The tone was set for the game when the first tackle came within the first 10 seconds with Tynecastle’s Jordan Smith being brought down 30 yards from goal. The resulting free kick came to nothing but it was clear the game was going to a competitive affair.
Despite their long journey south, Fraserburgh started the better of the two teams, forcing two corners inside the first ten minutes. However, they failed to make their early pressure pay by not testing the Tynecastle keeper. The early exchanges were scrappy; both teams tried to get the ball forward quickly in search of the all important first goal but cancelled each other out.
Fraserburgh’s left winger, Sean Douglas, seemed to be their main attacking outlet. He provided a constant threat down the left hand side but Tynecastle’s right back, Ben Voy, prevented Douglas from creating any clear cut chances.
Tyncastle’s first real chance of note didn’t come until the 29th minute. Jordan Smith picked the ball up on the right wing and produced a cross which was flicked on by Cal Thayers and found its way to Cameron Scott at the back post. Scott’s shot was smothered by Fraserburgh keeper, Sean Smith, but this chance signalled that Tynecastle were growing into the game.
Moments later Jordan Smith dragged a shot wide as the game really began to open up. With both teams looking to get the ball from back to front as quickly as possible the game became end to end.
The opening goal came from a quick break from the visitors eight minutes before half time. Following a cleared Tynecastle freekick, Fraserburgh counter attacked with the break spearheaded by Bailey Simpson. Evan Dyka managed to get a shot away, only for it to canon off the post but Blair Fraser latched onto the loose ball and fired it into the net to make it 1-0 to Fraserburgh.
With three minutes to half time, Fraserburgh scored to put themselves two ahead, the goal coming from another counter attack. Douglas, picking up the ball 40 yards out, drove towards the heart of the Tynecastle defence. With nobody in the box, Douglas fired across goal. The fierce cross/shot found its way into the Tynecastle goal following an unlucky deflection. Despite putting his team in a more comfortable position, Douglas looked less comfortable as he limped off the pitch clutching his calf following the goal.
With only minutes left, Tynecastle desperately attacked, looking for a goal that would put them only a goal behind at the half time interval. Cameron Scott came closest after the ball dropped to him on the edge of the area but he fired his volley just over the bar.
As the score suggests, Fraserburgh had the edge in the first half but in truth didn’t look the better team by much. The game was broken by niggly fouls and neither team managed to complete a string of passes. Fraserburgh had the all-important goals though and Tynecastle had the work to do in the second half to book a place in the semi-final.
  • Half Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 0-2
  • Fraserburgh Link Up
Lining up to start to second half early, Tynecastle meant business and with attacking changes made, they went in search of a goal that would get them back in the game.
Ben Voy had a shot cleared off the line and Jordan Smith forced a save from the keeper in the opening 12 minutes. It was on the 15th minute that Tynecastle’s pressure paid off.
Tynecastle were awarded a freekick on the half way line and the coaches signalled the players to get into the box. Cameron Liddle took the freekick which Fraserburgh failed to clear. An initial shot was saved by the keeper but with an open goal in front of him, Ben Voy fired the rebound into the back of the net.
Tynecastle, given a confidence boost following the goal, went in search of an equaliser, but Fraserburgh still looked a threat on the break and with Douglas back on the pitch, Tynecastle were wary of his presence.
Multiple half chances were spurned by Tynecastle or saved by the fantastic goalkeeper Sean Smith but on 28 minutes Tynecastle thought they had got the equaliser. Liddell played the ball into the box and Voy headed across goal for Daniel McBay to finish into an open goal. With the ball in the back of the net and the Tynecastle players celebrating, the referee blew for offside, picking out Voy as the one in the offside position.
As the game drew closer to the end, it became tense. Players were tiring and tempers were fraying. On 75 minutes, Douglas went in late on Sam Rutherford who stamped on the player and received a caution whilst Douglas went unpunished. Moments later, Kane McCrory, of Fraserburgh, was booked for a late challenge.
With ten minutes left, the next goal was vital. Jordan Smith went is search for it as he drove through the centre of the pitch from inside his own half, only to be fouled on the edge of the area. The resulting freekick came to nothing, but Fraserburgh countered through Douglas. With the onrushing keeper Lewis Gray bearing down on him, Douglas squared the ball to Scott Roger who fired home to put Fraserburgh two goals ahead once again. Cue jubilation and relief from the visitors.
Ten minutes left and two goals behind, Tynecastle still pressed forward but all hope was gone three minutes later as Fraserburgh scored a fourth. Nathan Stuart produced a cross which was flicked over the head of Gray by Bailey Simpson. The final stages were played without significant incident bar some good goalkeeping by Sean Smith.
Four goals flattered the visitors and didn’t reflect the closeness of the game, but Fraserburgh were deserved winners. The football on show wasn’t spectacular but the two teams were well matched and cancelled each other out.
Fraserburgh will be pleased by an assured away performance in which they went ahead first and defended manfully whereas Tynecastle will be disappointed with the goals they conceded, all coming from positions in which they had the ball in the opposition half.  With no out and out striker, having had one suspended and another injured, Tynecastle struggled to hold up the ball in the attacking third and were slow to get players to support.
Whilst Fraserburgh will not doubt celebrate all the way home as they look forward to their semi-final, Tynecastle will turn their attention to league as they go in search of the title.
  • Full Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 1-4
  • Fraserburgh Link Up


Tynecastle FC
Fraserburgh Link Up
1. Lewis Gray
2. Keiron Reynolds
3. Ben Voy
5. Scott Hay
6. Cameron Liddell
7. Daniel McBay
9. Clark O’Connor
10. Thomas Purves
11. Callum Rutherford
14. Cameron Scott
15. Jordan Smith
16. Cal Thayers
19. Cameron Wells
20. Ross Alexander Connolly
1. Sean Smith
4. Bruce Mair
5. Nathan Stuart
6. Scott Roger
7. Blair Fraser
9. Bailey Simpson
10. Kane McCrory
11. Drew Masson
12. Murray Dawson
14. Jack Simpson
15. Jordan Mowatt
16. Evan Dyka
17. Marc Watt
18. Liam Norris
19. Finlay Smith
22. Sean Douglas
Star Player
Tynecastle FC
Fraserburgh Link Up
Star player for Tynecastle goes to Jordan Smith for his tenacious attitude throughout the game. Jordan was involved in the majority of all of Tynecastle’s attacks, often spearheading counter attacks. Special mention also goes to his teammate Ben Voy who defended well throughout the game and got forward well too.
Star Player for Fraserburgh goes to the goalkeeper Sean Smith. Sean pulled out some fantastic saves when his team required him to step up and keep them ahead. The entire defence played well to keep out Tynecastle and were well marshalled by the two centre backs.
Magic Moment
Tynecastle FC
Fraserburgh Link Up
The game lacked a stand out moment with both teams keen to stifle each other's attacks.
The game lacked a stand out moment with both teams keen to stifle each other's attacks.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments