Home My YFS

Beechwood secure narrow league cup semi win over Fernieside

Beechwood FC 1

McDiermaid 41'

Fernieside FC 0

  • Tuesday, 04 February 2014
  • Tall Oaks
  • Under 17´s
  • South East Region Cup
This Leage Cup semi-final was played at Tall Oaks on a lovely sunny afternoon, although the grass pitch was poor as the ball continuously bobbled whenever someone tried to make a pass.  
The first half was poor quality from both teams although Beechwood did manage to score just before the break. The second half was not much better. Although Fernieside were the much better team, the Beechwood goalkeeper Calum Willis was very good and helped Beechwood hold onto a narrow 1-0 win.  
In the first half nothing really happened apart from a goal and two substitutions. The first substitution came for Beechwood after nine minutes with Gordon Strachan coming on.
The next substitution came in the 21st minute for Fernieside with Liam McIntosh. The first and only goal came in the 41st minute with lovely play from Harry Devine on the left hand side. Then he played the ball across the face of the goal for Jamie McDermaid who blasted it into the back of the open net from five yards out. The score remained 1-0 to Bechwood going into the break. The Fernieside coach was not looking very happy about that, especially given how Fernieside had been the better team.
  • Half Time:
  • Beechwood FC
  • 1-0
  • Fernieside FC
The second half was all Fernieside, but they could not get a goal. Beechwood made a double substitution in the 46th minute with Charlie Carr and Blair Millward coming on.
The next substitution came for Fernieside with Nathan Hardie leaving the field. Fernieside had a great chance to score, but they hit the bar then McIntosh headed the rebound and Willis made a great save.
There was then a substitution for Beechwood again with Joseph Paterson being replaced by Liam Bailey. Willis made another great save after Juwon Abubakar had a chance from about 23 yards out.
Beechwood then made their last substitution of the with Devine leaving the field, before this semi-final finished with Beechwood's 1-0 victory, sending the hosts into the final to meet Cockenzie Star. 
  • Full Time:
  • Beechwood FC
  • 1-0
  • Fernieside FC


Beechwood FC
Fernieside FC
1. Calum Willis
2. Jamie McIntosh
3. David Bull
4. Finlay Amot
5. Jack Redpath
6. Stewart Rowney
7. Ibn Seaton Ali
8. Gordon Strachan
10. Harry Devine
11. Charlie Carr
12. Jamie McDermaid
15. Blair Millward
16. Alistair Stark
18. Liam Bailey
19. Fraser Rillay
20. Joseph Paterson
1. Alex Johnstone
2. Juwon Abubukar
3. Ronan Clelland
4. Craig Swanston
5. Jordan Thomson
6. Liam McCabe
7. Brodie Duncan
8. Jack Thomson
9. Cameron Douglas
10. Kyle Taylor
11. Lewis Sloan
12. Daniel Combe
14. Nathan Hardie
15. Evan Smith
16. Ewan Wilson
19. Liam McIntosh
Star Player
Beechwood FC
Fernieside FC
Willis - The hosts' goalkeeper made some outstanding saves and kept Beechwood in the game.
Abubakar - The central midfielder covered the most ground for Fernieside and just played very well throughout the game.
Magic Moment
Beechwood FC
Fernieside FC
McDermaid's goal sealed his side's place in the final and a chance at cup glory.
Willis had a number of special moments, making a number of excellent saves.
Club Views
Beechwood FC
Fernieside FC
The Beechwood coach said he "knew what he was coming into and that Fernieside are a physical" and that he was "pleased with his defence and goalkeeper and how they dealt with Fernieside’s attack."
The Fernieside coach said he "was disappointed with the defeat and how his team handled the defeat".
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments