Home My YFS

Dunbar dump Peebles in dramatic Scottish Cup tie

Peebles FC 1

Swan 25

Dunbar United Colts 1

Gallagher 2
  • Peebles FC 1-1 Dunbar United Colts (Dunbar win 5-4 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 25 September 2016
  • Kerfield Park, Peebles
  • Under 15´s
  • Scottish Cup - R2
Blair Meikle

Blair Meikle | YFS Scottish Borders Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Dunbar United Colts advanced to the third round of the Inspiresport Scottish Cup at the expense of a desperately unlucky Peebles team.
Dunbar manager Nick Hall admitted that his side had an off day, but they still managed to take the game to penalties where they secured victory. They have set a target of getting past the regionalised rounds, which they will meet if they win their next tie.
It was actually United who started the strongest and they were 1-0 up inside 2 minutes, and it could have been more.
Maksymillian Dluzak hit the side netting before Fraser Gallagher scored from close range from James Mclean’s ball across the face of goal.
Evan Polak then made saves from Tyrhys Twist and Gallagher before the home team got themselves into the game.
When they did they took over the dominance from their visitor for the remainder of the half.
Aaron Russell and Doug Knox were prominent in an attacking sense – time and again one or both of them were involved going forward.
Knox’s intricate touch and passing were able to cut through the defence and he played in Russell who was thwarted by Sandy Purves.
Knox then got on the end of Russell’s corner to turn it goalward, only for Purves to intervene again.
The forward had a double chance when he nicked the ball off Purves but the keeper stood firm to block. Michael Smith recovered the ball and crossed for Knox and this time the effort was wide.
Russell was having joy down the right and Smith’s pass found him in space but the winger fired over.
An equaliser was inevitable and it was Lewis Swan who grabbed it in spectacular fashion. His half volley from 25 yards soared through the air and left Purves helpless.
Purves produced his best save yet to keep it level at half time, getting a hand to Knox’s pile-driving half volley from the edge of the box.
  • Half Time:
  • Peebles FC
  • 1-1
  • Dunbar United Colts
Knox picked up where he left off in the second period, running on to Swan’s pass to send a strike over the bar.
Peebles must have wondered what they had to do to get another goal, especially when Russell smacked the crossbar.
Sam Archibald got heavily involved from right back in the second half and from one of several lung bursting surges forward he shot just wide, having started deep inside his own half.
Smith got forward from midfield to get on the end of Knox’s clipped pass but Purves was there again.
So many missed opportunities can put pressure on your defence, with the chance of a sucker punch at the other end. Cameron Foggo fired a warning to Peebles when he drifted inside to have a go, but he was off target.
Smith had an attempt cleared off the line after Kyle Erskine’s cross, with the ball ending up in the grateful Purves’ hands.
The visiting keeper then made yet another unbelievable save, again from Smith. Knox provided the cross which was only half cleared and Smith’s shot looked to be heading only for the top corner, until Purves threw himself at it to tip wide.
Dunbar countered again with Kyle Cooledge dragging wide after good play by Ben Pickles.
But unsurprisingly Peebles had the best chance to secure a winner near the end, when the ever productive Smith slipped in Jay Blyth on the left, but Purves made himself big to block meaning extra time was required.
  • Full Time:
  • Peebles FC
  • 1-1
  • Dunbar United Colts
With the players understandably tiring, the extra period was notably different from the breathless 90 minutes which preceded it. Creativity was curtailed and the best chance came from Ben Duncan’s deep cross which Smith got on the end of but could not divert towards goal.

So the match was to be decided on penalties. Both sides missed the first kick and went on to score the other five, forcing sudden death.

Sam Archibald, who had been outstanding, was the unlucky one who had his penalty saved. He was distraught but should not let it overshadow his performance. That left it to Ewan Ford to stroke him and win it for Dunbar.

Final Result: Peebles FC 1-1 Dunbar United Colts (Dunbar win 5-4 on penalties)


Peebles FC
Dunbar United Colts
1. Evan Polak
2. Sam Archibald
3. Jay Blyth
4. Gavin McLachlan
5. Ross Millan
6. Ben Duncan
7. Lewis Swan
8. Jamie Clark
9. Doug Knox
10. Michael Smith
11. Aaron Russell
12. Connor Thorburn
14. Kyle Erskine
15. Rory Darling
16. John Napier
1. Sandy Purves
2. Ewan Ford
3. Maksymillian Dluzak
4. Liam Brunton
5. Fraser Riach-Shaw
6. Andrew Hall
7. Tyrhys Twist
8. Cameron Foggo
9. James Mclean
11. Ben Pickles
14. Liam Smillie
15. Kyle Cooledge
16. Ryan Sutherland
19. Fraser Gallagher
Star Player
Peebles FC
Dunbar United Colts
Doug Knox - His touch, awareness and passing, especially in the first half, were a joy to watch. Would surely have had two or three goals if it were not for Purves being in inspired form between the sticks.
Sandy Purves - Made several really impressive saves to keep his side level. The pick of the bunch was from Michael Smith's shot which looked a certain goal.
Magic Moment
Peebles FC
Dunbar United Colts
Lewis Swan's goal deservedly pulled them level and displayed his technique.
The winning kick in a penalty shoot-out is always a special moment and Ewan Ford's certainly pleased his team-mates.
Club Views
Peebles FC
Dunbar United Colts
Fergus Millan, Peebles FC manager, said: "I suppose it's hard to take. We dominated and had clear cut chances and I suppose if we had wrapped it up earlier then we wouldn't have had to go to penalties which is always a bit of a gamble. But I was very pleased in terms of the performance by the boys, and actually both teams played well. They kept going and it was a terrific game I thought. "We've been beginning to string together two or three good perfomances. The boys have been playing well and enjoying their football and that's the main thing."
Nick Hall, Dunbar United Colts manager, said: "The result was pleasing but I thought we were poor in an attacking sense. Our keeper has, I think, saved us five or six times and I don't really think we put much pressure on their goalkeeper. In the first five minutes, we scored and had another chance and I thought we were cruising and then we became disjointed and we had to make a few changes. We stuck in, but I don't think we were great in an attacking sense. But we're through to the next round so I'm quite happy. "The target in the Scottish Cup is always to get through to round three and passed the regionalised rounds. We did it last year and went through to Dumbarton and lost 1-0, so hopefully this time we get a good draw."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments