Home My YFS

Hutchie Vale progress against Bonnyrigg in topsy-turvy cup tie

Bonnyrigg Rose Colts 3

Scott 51, Scobbie 70, Scott 72

Hutchison Vale 4

McLean 8, Gordon 48, Hunter 50, Rafferty 59
  • Sunday, 22 January 2017
  • Lasswade High School
  • Under 15´s
  • Colin Campbell Sports D1 League Cup
Gregor Kerr

Gregor Kerr | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Lasswade High School played host in this Colin Campbell Sports Division 1 League Cup affair one a freezing winter’s day, as Hutchison Vale managed to see off a late Bonnyrigg Rose fightback in a fiery affair.

Bonnyrigg made a promising start to the game, seeing most of the ball in the opening five minutes and pinning Vale back into their own, despite being unable to really create anything of note in this early spell.

Despite their start, the first goalkeeper to be forced into a save was Rose’s Mackenzie Watson after seven minutes. However, he never looked in much trouble from Fletcher Hendry’s shot, which was easily collected. The same player tested the goalkeeper’s palms just a minute later, as he struck a solid volley after being teed up by Brandon Hunter, although it was the same outcome as before and the score remained goalless. 

With eight minutes on the clock Hutchie’s pressure paid dividends, when they took the lead through Luke McLean. Although it was Hunter who looked likely to score from his great free-kick, it was McLean who tapped in the rebound from close range, despite Watson’s best efforts to keep it out.

Vale looked to be in control after the goal, pinning Bonnyrigg back and restricting them to creating very little. When Rose did create a chance on 20 minutes, Cameron Quinn had a decent effort after a corner was worked to him, but the shot was rising ever since it left his boot and didn’t harm Beveridge’s goal.

It was the goalscorer Mclean who came close to doubling his side’s lead on the half-hour mark, when he managed to guide a header towards the far corner after a good ball in, but the goalkeeper dived low and got enough power to parry it away from goal.

Bonnyrigg weren’t just lying down without a fight though, and their best effort on goal came just before the half-time whistle. A throw-in was worked into Ryan Hodge, who let fly from 20 yards with his shot looking destined for the top corner.

Beveridge produced a stunning save to claw away the ball and tip it onto the bar and over. An enormous save in a crucial period of the cup-tie.

  • Half Time:
  • Bonnyrigg Rose Colts
  • 0-1
  • Hutchison Vale

Despite the first-half containing just the solitary goal, the second saw a barrage of them. The first of them came for Hutchison Vale, who doubled their advantage with 47 minutes on the clock. When James Gordon found himself in the box, he may have had several defenders on his tail, but he saw them all off with some composed footwork and finished high into the net.

The distance between the two sides grew greater only three minutes later, this time it came more through luck than invention. Hunter took a shot from considerable distance, and although it initially looked a comfortable save for Watson, a big deflection from a Rose defender left him helpless and Hutchie had a three-goal lead after 50 minutes.

Whilst it would have been easy for Bonnyrigg to let their heads drop, they sparked new life into this cup-tie straight from the restart. A quickly taken kick off lead to a ball out wide, and the early cross found William Scott who finished emphatically; a massive goal which gave Rose something to cling on to for the rest of the game.

Sadly for them, however, the comeback was short-lived, as Vale restored their three-goal advantage in the 57th minute. A menacing ball in wasn’t cleared properly, and Kieron Rafferty was the first to pounce with a clinical volley from inside the box, taking his side’s tally to four for the day. Hutchie were running away with the tie and looked well out of sight with that goal.

With fifteen minutes left and the clock ticking down, Rose looked dead and buried, and Vale were passing the ball about with ease; Rafferty coming close again after his pace helped him beyond the backline, but on this occasion he failed to find the target.

With just ten minutes remaining there was a potential comeback on the cards. When James Scobbie tapped in the rebound from Aaran Laidlaw’s missed penalty, the deficit was reduced to just two, and hope remained for Bonnyrigg.

Clearly inspired by that goal, Rose snatched another goal quickly after. After Vale lost the ball from a free-kick, their opponents burst down the opposite end, and Mclean was slid in on goal.

At such a crucial moment in the game, he should real composure, slotting the ball under the goalkeeper. After a frantic few minutes, there was just a mere goal between the two sides.

However, that was as close as the comeback came. Hutchie were able to play down the clock in the final stages, and grab three vital points for the group stage of this competition.

  • Full Time:
  • Bonnyrigg Rose Colts
  • 3-4
  • Hutchison Vale


Bonnyrigg Rose Colts
Hutchison Vale
1. Mackenzie Watson
2. Callum Glen
3. Lawrie Wilson
4. Harry Maguire
5. Blair Angus
6. Jacob Donaldson
7. Cameron Quinn
8. Nicholas Rietvelt
9. Arran Laidlaw
10. William Scott
11. James Scobbie
12. Ryan Hodge
14. Chris McCallum
16. Ross Lynch
18. Linden Koya
19. Zak Gourlay
1. Dean Beveridge
3. Ben Reilly
4. Jonny Gordon
5. Jamie Crawford
6. Niall Tonner
8. Brandon Hunter
9. Kieron Rafferty
10. Luke McLean
11. Fletcher Hendry
12. James Gordon
13. Murray Wheeler
14. Jamie Robinson
15. Liam Boal
16. Blair Houston
17. Brodie McNab
Star Player
Bonnyrigg Rose Colts
Hutchison Vale
William Scott looked like Bonnyrigg's most dangerous player during the game, and his goal capped off a solid performance.
James Gordon was a real creative outlet for Hutchie during the game and his goal showed composure and class.
Magic Moment
Bonnyrigg Rose Colts
Hutchison Vale
Bonnyrigg's first goal was fantastically worked and finished, and gave them hope.
Hutchie's second goal at the start of the second half helped them establish their dominance at the time, a sign of things to shortly follow.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments