Home My YFS

Peebles march into final after edging goal fest with Tranent

Peebles FC 7

MacIver 3, Kitching 9, 40, 55, 57, 66, Pickburn 20

Tranent Colts 5

Montgomery 52, Scott 60, 64, OG 62, Higgins 72
  • Sunday, 19 February 2017
  • Kerfield Park, Peebles
  • Under 13´s
  • Division 1B
Blair Meikle

Blair Meikle | YFS Scottish Borders Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Peebles came out on top of a rip-roaring semi-final, beating Tranent Colts 7-5 to book their place in the final of the Belmont Vauxhall Cup, where they will face Spartans Whites.

Peebles had control at 3-0 at half time and 6-1 after 57 minutes but they lost their grip slightly as Tranent managed to pull it back to 6-4. They clinched it with Keith Kitching’s fifth of the day before Tranent scored again with the last kick, making it an incredible 5 goals scored in the final 13 minutes.

The home side started like a train and opened the scoring after three minutes having already missed two glorious chances.

Fraser Whyte was unfortunate after Rory MacDonald had won the ball and fed him – Jamie Archibald parried his first effort and the ball would not sit nicely for him afterwards.

They came close again when Jordan Sykes’ corner was turned just wide by Kitching.

But the breakthrough was on acquired when Frey MacIver drove down the left flank and what looked like an intended cross ended up in the far corner of the net.

Logan Ritchie could have levelled it up when he beat the keeper but his low effort trickled agonisingly wide.

That was all the more galling for Tranent as they fell further behind on nine minutes. Kitching got off the mark when he collected Lewis Scrimger’s throw in the inside right channel, got into the box and fired a shot across Archibald and in.

Liam Henderson was impressive for Colts and he was almost in after good combination play from Mackenzie Scott and Cameron Sharp but was stopped by an offside call.

It was 3-0 after 20 minutes, Thomas Pickburn finishing well with his left foot after Kitching had slipped him in.

The game opened up and became a real end to end battle, with Tranent desperate to find a lifeline and Peebles still pushing to get another.

Kitching fired wide after a good run forward and at the other end Henderson’s effort from the edge of the box went just wide.

The Tranent push continued in the second half and Henderson remained central to it, a surging run down the left ended with a strike which was held by Oliver Gray.

  • Half Time:
  • Peebles FC
  • 3-0
  • Tranent Colts

Five minutes into the second period Peebles put further daylight between the teams. Kitching scored at the second attempt after getting on the end of Stan Swain’s free kick.

By necessity Tranent’s attacking play got more urgent.

Ross Montgomery managed to round Gray but was too wide and could not get a shot off.

The next opportunity saw Henderson almost pull one back in spectacular fashion. The execution of his overhead kick was superb – the technique was flawless and he managed to generate some amount of power. However, he was denied by an equally impressive save by Gray.

They did have the ball in the net shortly after. Cameron Higgins proved himself to be a danger from set-piece situations and his delivery found its way through to Montgomery who was alert to the situation and neatly touched it past Gray to make it 4-1 with 18 minutes to play.

But just three minutes later Peebles scored a quick fire double to open up a five goal deficit.

The first was a lob over Archibald’s head by Kitching and two minutes later the same player notched again after a lovely eye-of-the-needle pass from Pickburn.

At 6-1 with 13 minutes to play you would be forgiven for assuming the final outcome was a certainty. But, incredibly, Tranent clawed it back to 6-4 to create some doubt.

Scott won a penalty when he was clipped in the box and he got up to fire the kick high into the left corner.

An unfortunate own goal followed by Peebles’ Swain when Scott’s dangerous cross came off the midfield player’s head when he was back helping his defence.

They looked to have given themselves a chance of coming back with six minutes remaining when Montgomery got his second with a clinical finish into the corner.

But Peebles ended their hope with Kitching’s fifth of the day. The goals seemed to be coming at regular two minute intervals and Kitching was there on cue to round the keeper and slot calmly past a covering defender on the line.

There was still time for another and it was the last act of the day. Higgins’ free kick sailed too high got Gray and ended up in the top left corner.



  • Full Time:
  • Peebles FC
  • 7-5
  • Tranent Colts


Peebles FC
Tranent Colts
1. Oliver Gray
2. Mark MacKay
3. Frey MacIver
4. Ben Moore
5. Liam Moffat
6. Lewis Scrimger
7. Stan Swain
8. Keith Kitching
9. Fraser Whyte
10. Thomas Pickburn
11. Rory MacDonald
12. Jordan Sykes
14. Rhys MacDonald
15. Conor King
16. Daniel Paton
17. Evan McConnell
1. Jamie Archibald
2. Lee Jamieson
3. Cameron Higgins
4. Brook Law
5. Adam Halliday
6. Liam Henderson
7. Logan Ritchie
9. Aaron Fleming
11. Mackenzie Scott
13. Ewan Robertson
16. Cameron Sharp
17. Brandon McNamara
19. Ross Montgomery
20. Elliot Barrie
Star Player
Peebles FC
Tranent Colts
Keith Kitching - Scoring five goals in any match at any level is some feat. The captain always leads by example for his team and his goal contribution is superb for a midfielder.
Liam Henderson - A central figure for his side, always looking to drive them on. His passing quality was as high as his work rate.
Magic Moment
Peebles FC
Tranent Colts
The two goals that book-ended the match were equally as magic - Frey MacIver's opener was a dream start and Kitching's clincher made it safe.
Liam Henderson's overhead kick was something you'd expect to see from Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Deserved a goal for his perfect execution which married technique and power.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments