Home My YFS

Wright brace helps Currie see off resilient Edinburgh South test

Edinburgh South Cobras 2

Blair 14, Cowdy 16

Currie FC Colts 3

Wright 9, 23, Smith 46
  • Sunday, 04 February 2018
  • Double Hedges playing fields
  • Under 13´s
  • SERYFA Division 4
An inventive half volley from Ben Smith proved to be the winner for Currie as they edged out Edinburgh South by a goal, in a dogged battle at Double Hedges. 
The visitors raced into an early lead on nine minutes as Fergus Wright pounced, but only to find themselves trialling a further seven minutes later. 
Well-worked goals either side of half time from Wright and Smith sealed the deal for Currie, who as a result, will move level on points with Edinburgh South, with a further three games in hand. 
Terry Innes stung the palms of Sonny Boyle early on with a low drive from outside the area and the Edinburgh South keeper could only parry behind at the expense of a corner. 
From the resulting kick, the ball found a way through to the back post via Finn McKay, and when it fell to the feet of Wright there was only one thing on his mind as he deftly lifted to ball over the helpless Boyle to open the scoring. 
It was only a matter of five minutes until the home side were back on level terms, all thanks to Aidan Blair’s curling free kick, which bent away from goalkeeper Fraser Mooney, who was left clutching at thin air. 
Moments later and the score line had been turned on its head. The ball fell kindly to midfield runner Charlie Cowdy, who set himself with the first touch before firing low and hard across Mooney with the second, to put Edinburgh South in control for the first time in the match. 
Wright struck his second of the day on 23 minutes as he collected the ball on the left wing, before stepping inside his man and calmly rolling the ball underneath Boyle and into the far corner, to equal the score at two. 
It was Edinburgh South who were in the ascendancy in the lead up to the interval. Callum Gilchrist and Ailsa Boyle both put efforts straight at Mooney in goal, before Ciaran Leslie blazed wide from long distance. 
The final chance also fell the way of the home side, as a powerful low cross was parried out by Mooney to Cowdy, who surely would’ve scored if it wasn’t for a fantastic last ditch challenge from Josh Baird, as the sides went in tied at the break. 
  • Half Time:
  • Edinburgh South Cobras
  • 2-2
  • Currie FC Colts
Gilchrist was denied at the start of the second period by defender Andrew Syme, who raced back to dispossess the attacker before he could pull the trigger. 
Currie found themselves back in front 11 minutes after the restart, courtesy of Smith. Jay Tillbrook fired an inviting low ball into the danger area but Smith still had plenty to do as his left foot connected sweetly on the swivel to convert the half volley.  
Thomas Blair tested Mooney with a long range effort before Mooney came out to sweep the ball clear from the feet of Lewis Brockie. 
For the most part, the rest of the second half was a close-fought battle in the middle of the park with neither side really creating a lot of high quality chances, until the final few minutes, where Edinburgh South threw everything forward in an attempt to salvage a point. 
They were almost caught out in doing so, as Aryan Kamal weaved his way past a couple of defenders and rolled in McKay, who was called offside after striking straight at Boyle anyway. 
As the clock reached the final minute, as Blair, who had already proven his capability from a dead ball situation, swung in a dangerous free kick from wide left, however there would be no takers as Mooney held on gratefully. 
Multiple good chances followed soon after, but some heroic defending from Syme kept the lead intact, although the move was ended by a foul on the edge of the area, which once again, Blair would step up for. 
This time it was the top of the crossbar that came to the rescue for Currie as ball bounced behind for a goal kick, which the visitors were nearly caught out from, but the final whistle would sound too soon for Edinburgh South, giving Currie a hard earned, but probably justified victory. 
  • Full Time:
  • Edinburgh South Cobras
  • 2-3
  • Currie FC Colts


Edinburgh South Cobras
Currie FC Colts
1. Sonny Boyle
2. Thomas Blair
3. Antoni Yavuz
4. Ciaran Leslie
5. Jakub Franeczek
6. Kevin Biju Varghese
7. Jonathon Watton
8. Charlie Cowdy
9. Ailsa Boyle
10. Aidan Blair
11. Harrison Casey
12. Ben Cannon
13. Callum Gilchristv 14. Archie Wilson
15. Lewis Brokcie
16. Declan Martin
17. Jubaer Alam
18. Aidan Barr
19. Daniel Duncan
20. Macaulay Gillies
1. Fraser Mooney
4. Josh Baird
8. Frankie Innes
9. Finn McKay
10. Andrew Syme
11. Campbell Jackson
14. Aryan Kamal
16. Ben Smith
20. Taylor Craig
21. Jack Dignan
22. Fergus Wright
24. Jay Tillbrook
25. Terry Innes
26. Andrew Robertson
28. Rudy Robb
Star Player
Edinburgh South Cobras
Currie FC Colts
Aidan Blair was the key for Edinburgh South, not only was he a threat all game long from set pieces and came very close to a second goal, as well as an equaliser for his side, but also provided some good deliveries and width from open play.
Despite multiple good outfield performances for the visitors, goalkeeper Fraser Mooney was the standout. The shot stopper made numerous top quality saves on the day which meant his side were always in with a shout.
Magic Moment
Edinburgh South Cobras
Currie FC Colts
Aidan Blair's first half free kick was a standout moment for Edinburgh South as the number ten immaculately bent the ball away from Mooney and into the top left corner.
Ben Smith's early second half strike, that proved to be the winner, was the highlight for Currie. It was a pinpoint cross Tillbrook and the strike was even better on the turn, to beat Boyle at the near post.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments