Print this page

Airdrie seal cup final place with great win over Edinburgh City

Written by  Jamie Burns
This was a game full of emotion from both teams. Tension between the two was running high as this was a highly anticipated semi-final clash between two great teams.
Unfortunately for Edinburgh City they were the team on the losing end today. Airdrie proved difficult to break down and it showed as they came out as the victors today in a comprehensive win. This now means that Airdrie will progress into the final to play against a ruthless Musselburgh Windsor side.
Edinburgh City will surely bounce back from this and take it as a learning curve, they will surely improve and come back a better, stronger and hungrier team.
The match started off as a scrappy game as both teams found their way into the game but eventually some great, free flowing football developed as both teams grew in confidence.
Edinburgh City showed at times to be a better footballing side but crucially they didn’t capitalise on opportunities, allowing Airdrie the opportunity to take their chances and really punish their capital opponents.
Edinburgh City started off great playing the ball about and with some great over the top through balls, although nothing materialised from this.
It was Airdrie who drew blood first, a great ball was floated in and it was one of the Airdrie players who got there first and scored from the inviting ball in.
This only gave Airdrie confidence as they looked to add to their lead. To Edinburgh City’s credit their heads did not drop until Airdrie put in another cross which was not dealt with and as a result Airdrie doubled their lead with a good finish from five yards out.
Edinburgh City had been playing very well up until now, although in the first half number 17, Aaron Mackay was a revelation. He was winning 50/50s all over the pitch and supporting his attack but also doing the dirty side of the game putting in tackles for the teams benefit.
The first half ended 2-0 to Airdrie, although it could be argued it was against the run of play.
Edinburgh City made a tactical move to begin the second half.
Three new substitutions went on to try and target this game differently as their original game plan hadn’t worked out.
Edinburgh City had struggled in the physical battle and they were being bullied in certain aspects.
Airdrie were up for this game as much as their capital rivals
The three new substitutions offered something different and Edinburgh City were now looking more likely to get a goal.
Substitution Ryan Borthwick had a great shot saved for City, a cross was floated in which he attacked well but his glancing header was just over the bar, leaving number 1, Tony Sharkey with nothing to do in Airdrie’s goal.
The game progressed casually at 2-0 for Airdrie and they had another corner in which is attacked powerfully by number 4, Sean Mullen, who saw all his efforts come to fruition as he grabbed himself a goal from a header to put Airdrie 3-0 up, with the game surely over now.
This was the third set piece goal Edinburgh city had conceded, something that their coaches will not have been happy with.
Airdrie kept on coming and not long after it was 4-0.
This goal was somewhat debatable as it looked to be offside from the spectators view but the referee saw nothing and gave it.
Edinburgh City kept on battling till the final whistle and got their reward as forward Sam Walker went on a great solo run to slot home with a tidy finish.
This is nothing but a consolation goal at this point but it’s still good to see that Sam still had the self-belief to score such a good goal.
The game trickled to an end and Airdrie walked out 4-1 winners against a good Edinburgh City side.
Best of luck to Airdrie in their big final but commiserations to Edinburgh City as they deserved a result today.

Related items

Login to post comments