Home My YFS

Last gasp extra time winner sees Leith defeat City

Edinburgh City Blacks 0

Leith Athletic 1

McKay 100+3
  • Edinburgh City Blacks 0-1 Leith Athletic (AET)
  • Friday, 01 June 2018
  • Ainslie Park
  • Under 15´s
  • Federation of Hearts Supporters Cup

Strathy McKay's wondergoal, moments before the final whistle, was all there was to separate Leith Athletic and Edinburgh City, and see the former lift the Federation of Hearts Supporters cup.

The game started out at a high tempo: Leith looking to play out through City’s high press; and although quality chances were at a premium, there were plenty willing to try their luck from range.

That is, after James Farrell glanced a header a few inches wide of the far post from a corner in the opening minute. Charlie Craig blazed over on the half volley before Leith’s Ethan Wynne had a pop on the counter; but a deflection took the sting out of the strike.

And that’s just to name a few chances that went begging.

Leith began to turn the screw and and Rory Hunter went near with his head: diverting Thomas Ramage’s tempting cross goalward – but it narrowly evaded the far post.

He would soon have a second chance as Wynne raced forward on the counter. The ball fell to Hunter’s feet but Jonathan Steel was quick to block his effort.

More wayward efforts and crunching challenges were to follow and these were becoming somewhat reccurring themes as the half developed.

Cameron Stewart and Euan Howie of Leith both saw efforts rise over the crossbar from the edge of the area before Strathy McKay dragged a shot past the near post from the right.

In the midst of this, another half-chance fell the way of Hunter – but from close range he could only head wide.

The last action of the half was to be provided by a corner that evaded Leith Goalkeeper. There was a scramble for the ball, with a city player on the deck as Leith ushered the ball to safety. They weren’t to know the referee had already blown for a freekick on their favour – as the sides went in goalless at the break.

  • Half Time:
  • Edinburgh City Blacks
  • 0-0
  • Leith Athletic

The first half was very much Leith’s but after the interval things began to change. City were keen to get the second half off to a good start and Liam Collins was very much at the centre of it – going close more than once.

McKay saw a freekick clear the crossbar before Lewis Owens had to step in to deny Grant Herbert on the break. Unfortunately for him, the one time Herbert did make it in behind the Leith backline, he was ajudged offside.

About 20 minutes into the second period, Leith begain to build some momentum again. Wynne dragged a shot just off target, and a minute later he was chasing Ramage’s cross, but just couldn’t get on the end of it.

After more kicking each other and shooting from distamce, Ryan Campbell was the next to have a go on his left foot, but much like the every other effort: it was comfortable for the keeper, Jamie Rae.

Leith’s goalkeeper Jamie Smith had a slight scare as he held on to the ball slightly too long; but managed to scramble the ball away before the onrushing Ben Henderson could pounce.

Campbell had gotten to the byline for Leith in the final few minutes but there were no takers for his pullback. City raced up the other end, but Henderson just couldn’t pick out Collins in the middle.

The final chance fell to City, as again, Farrell found space from a corner and nodded goalwards; however Leith skipper Wynne was there to clear off the line - and an extra 20 minutes would be needed to separate the sides.

  • Full Time:
  • Edinburgh City Blacks
  • 0-0
  • Leith Athletic
Extra time was a hard fought spectacle. Hunter shot straight from kickoff for Leith, and although on target, Rae was alert to it before McKay then lashed over from the edge.

Euan Howie went as close as anyone as he created a yard of space for himself and curled the ball goalwards, only to see it cannon back off against the crossbar.

McKay saw a freekick deflected behind for a corner before, a few minutes later he stepped up to provide a quite brilliant winning goal, in the third minute of added time in extra time nonetheless.

He kept the ball alive and shifted onto his left foot before he fired into the top left corner, well out of Rae’s reach to ensure Leith would lift the Federation of Hearts Supporters cup – although they were made to work for it by a dogged City side.

Final Result: Edinburgh City Blacks 0-1 Leith Athletic (AET)


Edinburgh City Blacks
Leith Athletic
1. Jamie Rae
2. Ben Lovell
3. Euan Gillespie
4. Charlie Craig
6. Jonathan Steel
7. Ben Henderson
8. Liam Duffy
9. Max Clark
10. Grant Herbert
11. Jack Mathieson
14. Alex Lamb
17. James Farrell
18. Gavin Mason
24. Sean Maxwell
25. Jack Swan
35. Liam Collins
1. Jamie Smith
2. Ryan Campbell
3. Daniel Turner
4. Cameron Stewart
5. Euan Howie
6. Ben McGinnis
7. Ethan Wynne
8. Lewis Owens
9. Ben Murray
10. John Ward
11. Rhys McMurdo
12. Strathy McKay
15. Thomas Ramage
16. Rory Hunter
18. Owen West
21. Jack Leslie
22. Jason Meikle
Star Player
Edinburgh City Blacks
Leith Athletic
Liam Collins was a standout for Edinburgh City Blacks. In a game void of quality for large periods: his work rate was key for City in the game and Collins was always involved in the attack; and unfortunate not to find himself on the scoresheet.
Ethan Wynne was the key player for Leith Athletic. His energy in the midfield was crucial to Leith's victory and the skipper certainly lead by example. He had plenty of efforts on goal over the course of the evening and was keen to involve his team mates wherever possible.
Magic Moment
Edinburgh City Blacks
Leith Athletic
Although a sturdy team performance from City, there was no piece of individual quality that could get them over the line.
One of the few sparks of quality in the game of course was the winner by Strathy McKay. He moved the ball over to his left side before rifling the ball beyond the keeper, who was left with no chance.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments