Home My YFS

Ross High battle back to snatch trophy in extra time

Royal High School 1

Francey 43

Ross High School 2

Anderson 56, Henderson 72
  • Saturday, 02 June 2018
  • Meggetland
  • Under 13´s
  • Edinburgh Secondary Schools FA Cup

Ross high battled back from behind to triumph over Royal High in extra time and lift the Edinburgh Secondary Schools FA cup at Meggetland.

In the initial phases, the game was played at a high tempo and both sides were looking to create chances with Athan Barry going close for Royal High, and soon after Tyler Pryde almost latched onto a ball over the top.

Esosa Osemwegie had a crack from distance but he cut across the ball and sliced off target, and Lennon Garrick had a couple of attempts from wide right; the first was blocked and the second dribbled of target.

Barry nicked the ball from the toes of a defender but couldn’t pull the trigger in time as Lennon Rafferty raced back to put him off. Soon after, the Tranent side began to build their own spell of pressure.

Mackenzie Scott had a few chances, the latter of which he lashed over the crossbar from the edge of the area. Pryde managed to get in behind on 25 minutes but Jack Roy was down well to turn behind.

As Ross continuted to turn the screw, the next chance fell to Callum Anderson, but he couldn’t connect to Pryde’s cross from close range.

The final chance of the half fell to Barry, who was slipped in by Gregor Fordyce, but the attacker couldn’t prod the ball beyond the onrushing goalkeeper, as the sides went into the break, goalless.

  • Half Time:
  • Royal High School
  • 0-0
  • Ross High School

The game’s high tempo continued after the interval, and Pryde was again keen to do the running; however his early cutback was blocked before it could reach another blue shirt.

A big chance fell the way of Harry Gray a couple of minutes later. The ball sat up niclely for him but he seemed to take too long to think about it and in the end, his effort was straight at Roy from close range.

The breakthrough eventually came on 43 minutes as Barry was dispossed by Niall King. However the ball fell nicely across to Josh Francey on the edge of the area, and despite being off balance, he managed to guide the ball into the far corner to open the scoring.

Ross knew they had to push forward now - and they did. Liam Henderson won a header and strode into midfield before unleashing a half volley; although well off target.

Pryde hit a freekick into the wall and proceeded to lash the rebound over the crossbar, before the winger saw another couple of efforts saved a few minutes later. Scott rounded just after, but was tackled before he could sqaure to a teammate.

Ross had been on the front foot and the equaliser came with four minutes left of the 60. The ball came over from the left wing and sat up nicely for Anderson, who hit the ball sweetly as it crashed off the underside of the crossbar and, according to the referees assistant, over the line.

Royal High were shellshocked and it was Ross who continued to push, looking for a winner. Scott and Pryde both had half chances, but the crucial moment was when a penalty was awarded for a foul on the left of the box.

Up stepped Pryde, and even though the penalty was low and hard, Roy managed to scramble down to his right to save. A dramatic conclusion to the second half, but in the end the game would need to be settled in extra time.

  • Full Time:
  • Royal High School
  • 1-1
  • Ross High School
Royal High seemed to have found a second wind at the start of extra time, and Fordyce was key to this. He found Barry with a freekick, although the attacker couldn’t convert, before going close himself with a long freekick.

At the end of the first period, Cameron Black went close for Ross, with a curling effort that Roy had to turn behind.

The pivotal moment came just two minutes into the second period, when Henderson stood over a freekick, inside his own half. The distance didn’t put the big centre half off as he put his foot through the ball; and it was the bounce that fooled the keeper – who wasn’t to know that the ball was going to bounce right through without an attacker making contact.

In the end, that was all there was between the sides. Royal High pushed for an equaliser to force penalties but it wasn’t to be. They had to suffer as Ross High came from behind to lift the Edinburgh Secondary Schools FA Cup.


Royal High School
Ross High School
1. Jack Roy
2. Esosa Osemwegie
3. Ru Manning
5. Athan Barry
6. Louis Aris
7. Ben Mcaspurn
8. Josh Francey
9. Gregor Fordyce
10. Reece Standen
11. Mikey Leslie
12. Cammy Robb
14. Leo Murray
16. Jamie Elliot
17. Lennon Garrick
20. Aaron Steel
1. Adam Gillie
1. Cameron Bell
4. Liam Henderson
16. Elliot Barrie
25. Niall King
30. Josh Inglis
36. Mackenzie Scott
41. Callum Anderson
43. Cameron Black
46. Harry Gray
47. Jonathan Mainds
56. Ross Montgomery
57. Cameron Thomas
60. Lennon Rafferty
61. Lewis Inglis
87. Tyler Pryde
Star Player
Royal High School
Ross High School
Athan Barry was the star man for Royal High. He was always keen to get on the ball and make things happen, especially in the first half and early second half, where he was instrumental to Royal High's dominance.
Tyler Pryde was a standout for Ross High. His work rate was outstanding and he backed that up with quality in the final third of the pitch; unfortunate not to score himself.
Magic Moment
Royal High School
Ross High School
Jack Roy’s penalty save was excellent for Royal High, just minutes before the end of the second half. He scampered over to his right to push Pryde’s penalty away and force extra time for his side.
Both goals were quite special for Ross High, but Henderson’s late, dramatic winner has to take it. He had no right to think about going for goal, but that didn’t put him off – and a brilliant way to cap off a classy performance.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments