Home My YFS

Currie Star fight back to knock Edinburgh City out of Peter O'Neill Cup

Edinburgh City 3

Jackson 5, Stewart 14, OG 38

Currie Star 4

Majekodunmi 23, 54, Hunt 65, MacKay 68
  • Sunday, 02 September 2018
  • Forrester High School
  • Under 13´s
  • Peter O'Neill Cup

Edinburgh City were left stunned as Currie Star came from two down to snatch a late winner and to progress to the second round of the Peter O’Neill Cup at Forrester High School.

City, without a point in the league at this stage, started brightly raced into an early two goal lead; although the away side grabbed one back before the break Shane Majekodunmi.

The signs were there at the end of the first half that the second period was to be a different story - and it was, as Currie turned what was a 3-1 deficit at one point into a victory.

Billy Birks took a high foot to the face a few minutes in, as the wind blew heavily during the first half. From the resulting free kick, Ethan Johnston bent the ball around the wall and forced keeper Danny Hyslop to parry. A goal-line scrap followed before the ball was eventually turned over the line, with Georgie Jackson claiming it.

The second came on 14 minutes when a cross came over from the left was misjudged, perhaps due to the wind, by Hyslop and as a result, gifted Jack Stewart the chance: who swivelled to convert from close range.

The visitors managed to claw one back nine minutes later though. James Hunt turned smartly and found Max MacKay on the edge of the box. His shot was parried out by goalkeeper Ethan McCarthy and the ball was tappedin, despite appeals for offside, by Majekodunmi.

Bar the three goals, there wasn’t a great deal of quality in the first half. There were a few wayward efforts from distance from both sides but none to trouble the goalkeeper as the game came to half time.

  • Half Time:
  • Edinburgh City
  • 2-1
  • Currie Star

The conditions improved for the second period, thus meaning City didn’t have to play into the wind like their visitors did in the first half - and once again, city started the second half off well. Birks was at the heart of it again as he whipped a tempting ball across the box, and the defender could do nothing but divert the ball into his own net.

Birks was at it again a few minutes later as he fired another brilliant ball in, but this time no opposing player was willing to knock it in. 

Nevis Hall, on as a substitute came close to scoring as he fired a strike low towards Hyslop, who spilled it, and although the home bench were adamant that it had crossed the line, the referee stood firm.

After 54 minutes had been played, Currie again pulled one back via the medium of Majekodunmi once more. The ball came across from the right and found its way to the front man - who guided the ball home from inside the area to half the deficit.

The last 15 minutes saw Currie push hard to force extra time. MacKay spearheaded a counterattack before his shot was blocked before he then struck a half volley over the crossbar a few minute later.

City managed to hit Currie on the counter as Birks lifted a wonderful through ball into the path of Luke Collins, who was in behind, but for a last-ditch challenge, although expectedly, the home side felt it was an illegal move, but once again nothing given by the referee.

Moments later, Amer Idelmanchar had to make a brilliant challenge to deny Majekodunmi, who was racing away on the counter attack in search of his hatrick.

With five minutes to go, the equaliser came, and it was a cracker. The ball sat up sweetly for Hunt, who didn’t mess about as he let the ball bounce once before firing into the far right corner.

However they just happy to settle for extra time and the away side continued to push against a City side that looked both shellshocked and out of ideas.

And they would get their reward for doing so two minutes before time. Lennon Archibald was involved in pressing the backline, who were slow in possession, before the ball eventually fell to MacKay. 

He kept his head before slotting past McCarthy with the outside of the right boot to turn the tie on its head and ensure it was to be Currie Star who advanced to the second round of the Peter O’Neill Cup.

  • Full Time:
  • Edinburgh City
  • 3-4
  • Currie Star


Edinburgh City
Currie Star
1. Ethan McCarthy
2. Cian Gunn
3. Ruaridh McQueenie
4. Charlie Martin
6. Charlie Grant
7. Billy Birks
8. Georgie Jackson
9. Luke Collins
10. Joseph McGinness
11. Ally Birks
12. Nevis Hall
14. Jack Stewart
15. Zander McMillan
16. Amer Idelmanchar
18. Blake Meikle
19. Ethan Johnston
2. Matthew Teague
3. Danny Hyslop
7. Lennon Archibald
10. Shane Majekodunmi
16. Ewan Dunlop
18. Reece Forbes
26. James Hunt
29. Cameron Kpedekpo
30. Ethan Lorimer
32. Max MacKay
34. Ethan Hemmings
37. David Millar
49. Adam Phayre
53. Euan Scaife
56. Max Sharman
57. Finlay Smith
Star Player
Edinburgh City
Currie Star
Billy Birks was the standout player for the home side. He was always a threat with his delivery from wide right, which was evident in the third goal, as his delicious cross was turned into the net via the defender.
Shane Majekodunmi was the main man for Currie Star. He didn’t get a great deal of service, especially in the first half but when he got his chances, he made sure to take them and was unlucky not to round off his hatrick in the final moments.
Magic Moment
Edinburgh City
Currie Star
Ethan Johnston’s free kick for the first goal was an excellent strike that was spilled by keeper Danny Hyslop before eventually being prodded over the line by Georgie Jackson to give the home team an early lead at the time.
James Hunt’s wonder-strike to bring Currie Star level was a pivotal moment in the outcome of the game. The ball sat up perfectly for the holding midfielder, who opted to strike first time on the half volley and was rewarded as he saw the ball fly into the right hand corner.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments