Home My YFS

Gala come out on top in tight Edinburgh Cup final

Gala Fairydean Rovers 5

McClymont 8, Ostle 33, Fairgrieve 60, 79, Swan 67,

Tynecastle FC Whites 4

Samoila 31, Byrne 40, 46, Jed Sneddon 69
  • 5-4
  • Sunday, 24 March 2019
  • New Dundas Park
  • Under 13´s
  • Edinburgh Cup

New Dundas Park played host to a tight Edinburgh Cup final between Gala Fairydean Rovers and Tynecastle FC Whites U13s in a tie that took extra time to decide a winner, which was eventually Gala, winning the game 5-4.

The game started brightly for Gala who dominated the opening five minutes, with Addison Bell and Harris Fairgrieve combining nicely in the final third but they couldn’t find the finishing touch. Their early dominance finally made Tynecastle pay in the eighth minute when Regan Stisi’s cross was blocked into the path of Oliver McClymont who placed his low effort beyond the keeper from the edge of the box to give Gala a deserved lead.

Tynecastle saw a resurgence in their play around 20 minutes into the game as they chased an equaliser, with many chances being created by Leon Byrne and Aidan O’Malley who came close with a powerful effort going just over. They eventually got back into the game courtesy of a through ball from Byrne into the path of Andrei Samoila, whose initial shot was blocked, but found the net with the rebound as Tynecastle drew even with Gala at the half hour mark.

Tynecastle looked to double their lead before the break with more chances created by Byrne that couldn’t be finished. Gala made Tynie pay as Sam Ostle went on a clever run down the left flank before powering the ball, too powerful for the keeper to catch as Gala regained their lead before half-time.

A fast start for Gala proved to be vital in retaining their lead into half time despite great counter attacking football on display from Tynecastle and a revival later in the half that led to them scoring the equaliser.

  • Half Time:
  • Gala Fairydean Rovers
  • 2-1
  • Tynecastle FC Whites

Tynecastle manage to create early chances through Byrne whose deep cross can’t be turned into the net by Samoila. They eventually found the goal they had been looking for after just five minutes of the second half. Good play down the left flank saw the ball fall to Byrne just inside the box, who side-footed the ball into the side of the goal to get Tynecastle back into the game early in the second period.

It took just five more minutes for Tynie to find the back of the net for a third time as Moray Shields played in Byrne who slotted in his second of the game to give Tynecastle a well-deserved lead.

Tynecastle create more chances with Aidan O’Malley delivering a cross to Samoila who couldn’t convert the chance from close range.

Gala also came close with a long range effort from Shayne Bell that was saved by the diving goalkeeper into the path of Stisi who strikes the post from close range. Another chance this time by an overlapping run from the right back, Brodie Allen, whose cross was met by Fairgrieve, but just wide of the target. Fairgrieve got another chance as he smartly turned his man and slotted home a strike from inside the box into the bottom corner to get a merited equaliser to make the score 3-3 after an hour.

Gala scored again with only three minutes left to play as McClymont drove into the penalty area and squared the ball to oncoming attackers which creates a scramble that ended with Fraser Swan poking the ball in to grab a late goal to give his team the lead.

An instant response from Tynecastle occured as Struan Woodford’s clever work down the left saw a shot saved by the keeper. The shot rebounded into Jed Sneddon who made no mistake in firing the ball into the top left corner to draw them level in the dying embers of the game to force extra time.


  • Full Time:
  • Gala Fairydean Rovers
  • 4-4
  • Tynecastle FC Whites
First Half of Extra Time

It took almost the full ten minutes for a clear cut chance to be made as a ball played to Fairgrieve allowed him to ease his way through the defense and power an effort into the top right corner to give Gala a lead in this tight contest to make the score 5-4.

Second Half of Extra Time

Gala continuously created many chances to try and put the game to bed but couldn't find the end product on a number of occasions, including chances cleared off the line by heroic Tynecastle players who fought to the final whistle in search of the leveler that never came.

Both sides showed great heart to make their way back from one goal deficits, in a game that could have gone either way, but Gala Fairydean would lift the trophy at the end of the match.

Final Result: 5-4


Gala Fairydean Rovers
Tynecastle FC Whites
1. Cameron Foster
2. Brodie Allen
3. Addison Bell
4. Lewis McCulloch
5. Thomas Milburn
6. Shayne Bell
7. Regan Stisi
8. Oliver McClymont
9. Harris Fairgrieve
10. Sam Ostle
11. Ewan McLaren
12. Callum Tait
13. Fraser Swan
14. Oliver Czerwinski
15. Lewis Douglas
16. Evan Beatie
1. Callum Climie
2. Josh Briggs
3. Leon Byrne
5. Max Cairnie
6. Ryan McGill
7. Alex Linklater
9. Harison Mutch
10. Aidan O'Malley
11. Andrei Samoila
14. Moray Shields
15. Andrew Thompson
16. Struan Woodford
17. Liam Laidlaw
18. Jed Sneddon
19. Lewis Baillie
30. Owen McMillan
Star Player
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Tynecastle FC Whites
The star man for Gala was their striker Harris Fairgrieve. His clever movement in the final third helped both create opportunities and get him on the score sheet twice.
Leon Byrne's drive through the oppositions midfield and his pin point passing and crossing made him Tynecastle's most threatening and creative player on the pitch, bagging two goals on top of this.
Magic Moment
Gala Fairydean Rovers
Tynecastle FC Whites
The winning goal in extra time showed off great passion as their hard work throughout the match was rewarded, making it satisfying for both the players and their on-looking parents as they celebrated so passionately.
The last minute equaliser summed up Tynecastle's hearty performance as despite being a goal down for a large amount of the game they kept fighting and getting back into the game with heroic defending and attacking.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments