Home My YFS

Tynie Triumph In Tom Wilson Memorial Cup

Tynecastle FC 3

Bulloch (OG) 53, Fraser 71, Mackinnon 87

Cavalry Park FC 1

Davies 45
  • Sunday, 07 April 2019
  • New Dundas Park, Bonnyrigg
  • Under 17´s
  • Tom Wilson Memorial Cup

With the clocks having now gone forward and the business end of the season fast approaching, Tynecastle FC and Cavalry Park FC went head to head at New Dundas Park, Bonnyrigg in a memorable final of the Tom Wilson Memorial Cup to kick things off with the seasons first trophy up for grabs.

In testing conditions with a wet and heavy surface underfoot, Tynecastle started the game with some early pressure on the Cavalry Park goal. After just three minutes, the towering Ivan Alapiki took the ball under control well and after holding off his man put a nice cross in to the danger area which Aaron Smith was only able to partially clear. Steven Shores latched on to the loose ball but his low right footed effort was blocked and diverted behind for a Tynecastle corner.

A few moments later and the ball was again clipped in to Alapiki once more which he brought down expertly with the outside of his foot, holding off two defenders on this occasion, before smashing an effort off the Cavalry Park crossbar despite the angle being against him. With only seven minutes on the clock it was clear that Cavalry Park had to stifle the supply to the powerful front man.

Tynecastle continued to probe forwards with William Scott beginning to impose himself more and more on the game. The strong Tynecastle number nine protected the ball brilliantly under pressure before passing it on to Alapiki who laid off Shore to hit once more. Although his second effort was not blocked, the effort was a comfortable save for Ryan Kidd in the Cavalry goal who gathered it well despite a little zip off the surface.

Cavalry Park then turned the flashes of good football they had shown in the opening 15 minutes in to the best move of the match so far. Harris Mackintosh and Tom Davies exchanged a wonderful one-two on the left hand side of the Tynecastle box which sent Mackintosh racing towards the byline. His low driven cross was on a plate to be tapped in however a Tynecastle shirt was first to it and the ball was hammered clear.

Not to be outdone down the other end, Tynecastle created a lovely move of their own. Alapiki chested the ball down to Scott around 25 yards from goal, the Tynecastle playmaker then shifted the ball on to his left foot and hit a superb curling effort towards the top corner which Kidd was equal to and held well.

The ever lively Robbie Cole began to influence the game for Cavalry Park and his corner in the 25th minute caused panic in the Tynecastle six yard box when goalkeeper Aaron Heap failed to hold his cross. The ball fell to the feet of Robbie Walker but Tynecastle keeper Heap was quick to atone for his error and made himself as big as possible to block what was a certain goal before the ball was hacked clear by Shores.

Cavalry Park continued to put Tynecastle on the back foot and began to enjoy a good spell of their own with the pace and trickery of Cole and Davies in particular causing the side in Maroon problems each time the two linked up.

Tynecastle began to fight back and create chances of their own as we approached the last 10 minutes of an evenly matched first half. Scott again picked the ball up wide right for the men in Maroon and drifted infield before teeing up team mate Kieran Moyles who's driven effort was again well saved by Kidd in the Cavalry goal.

Mackintosh picked the ball up in a central position for Cavalry and sprayed a brilliant ball out wide to Robbie Walker on the right. He held the ball in awaiting support before checking on to his left and swinging in a great ball that caught out all of the Tynecastle defence, however luckily for them it was just beyond the reach of Davies who's outstretched touch could only drop kindly at the feet of Heap for him to collect with ease.

With Mackintosh becoming more dangerous with each passing minute, the Cavalry Park midfielder lays inside for Cole to test Heap however his low drive was right down the throat of the Tynie Keeper.

With the first half just about to draw to a close there was time for one last attack and Cavalry Park made it count. A long freekick from Makintosh was hoisted high in to the Tynecastle box which they failed to deal with. The ball fell kindly at the feet of Davies who needed no invitation to hammer the ball home hard and low beyond the helpless Heap in the Tynecastle goal.

  • Half Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 0-1
  • Cavalry Park FC

Tynecastle started the second half much like the first, only this time with added purpose. Scott knocked the ball out to the left for the lightning quick Kieran Ngwenya to take the ball in his stride, hit the byline and fire a wicked ball across the face of the goal which Cavalry Park's Andrew Bulloch was helpless to prevent turning in to his own goal in an attempt to clear the danger.

Just two minutes after levelling the tie, Tynecastle were fortunate not to be behind. A poor clearance from Heap was played right to the feet of Davies around 25 yards from goal. He controlled the ball well, beat one recovering defender and pulled the trigger only to be thwarted by a heroic block from Scott Jardine.

With Tynecastle feeling off the hook, confidence began to surge through the team. Ngwenya picked the ball up on the half way line and motored all the way in to the Cavalry box before cutting back for Sami El Yamani to get his shot away. With the initial effort blocked it fell kindly for the onrushing Jamie Neill but his effort flew harmlessly over the bar.

With the game finely poised, the impressive Davies this time turned provider for Cavalry Park as he slipped through Brandon Hunter on goal. The substitute danced his way around two maroon jerseys to create himself some space but he was unable to direct his shot on target. 

Ngwenya began to wreak havoc down the left once more where his latest burst down the wing was pulled back for Scott however the angle was against him and he could only find the sidenetting at the near post.

Similarly to the games opening goal, Tynecastle gave Cavalry Park a taste of their own medicine on 71 minutes. A long freekick in from Liam Millar was initially flicked on by Scott and after a bit of pinballing around, Scott was able to get the ball under his control and play it out wide to Danny Worobec who was in space on the right. Worobec played a first time cross in to the six yard box where Cameron Fraser was on hand to tap home albeit with the aid of both posts.

Cavalry Park tried to come again and get the equaliser to force extra time however the heavy pitch seemed to be taking its toll and with three minutes remaining Tynecastle wrapped up the trophy with a touch of fortune. A great counter attack starting with good work from Alapiki and Fraser found its way out to Charlie Mackinnon on the right hand side of the box and his deflected effort looped up and over the helpless Kidd in the Cavalry Park goal to end the final as a contest.

Both sides can be very proud of themselves for playing their part in a brilliantly contested cup final in what was testing conditions. Both sets of players are a credit to their clubs and this wont be the last time we see either of these sides in Cup Finals as the seasons go on.

  • Full Time:
  • Tynecastle FC
  • 3-1
  • Cavalry Park FC


Tynecastle FC
Cavalry Park FC
1. Aaron Heap
2. Oskar Zieniewicj
3. Jamie Neill
4. Danny Worobec
5. Ivan Alipiki
6. Kieran Moyles
7. Scott Hunter
8. Sami El Yamani
9. William Scott
10. Cameron Fraser
11. Kieran Ngwenya
14. James Scobbie
15. Liam Millar
16. Scott Jardine
17. Steven Shore
19. Charlie Mackinnon
1. Ryan Kidd
2. James Stewart
3. Aaron Smith
4. Sam Gormley
5. Kyle Cooledge
7. Brandon Hunter
8. Robbie Walker
9. Michael Cornelius
10. Tom Davies
11. Andrew Mackenzie
14. Ronan Gallagher
15. Harris Mackintosh
17. Robbie Cole
18. Andrew Bulloch
Star Player
Tynecastle FC
Cavalry Park FC
Kieran Ngwenya - Changed the complexion of the game when he came on towards the end of the first half. Powerfully running throughout and a constant menace to the Cavalry Park full backs.
Sam Gormley - His performance didn't warrant being on the losing side. A solid performance from the Cavalry Park skipper who marshalled the towering Alapiki superbly as well as leading by example.
Magic Moment
Tynecastle FC
Cavalry Park FC
Cameron Fraser's goal to put Tynecastle in front may have just squeezed in off both posts but the whole team chasing him to the corner flag to celebrate showed how important the goal was.
Davies cool head in a box full of panic gave Cavalry Park the lead and summed up the cool nature of the talented forward.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments