Home My YFS

Edinburgh City Whites leave it late to clinch Cup glory

Edinburgh City Whites 2

Young (80'), Irvine (90')

Salvesen CFC 1

Williams (30')
  • Saturday, 29 February 2020
  • Ainslie Park, Edinburgh
  • Under 17´s
  • Victor Paris Bathroom's Cup

"With ten minutes remaining, you would've been forgiven for thinking it might not be Edinburgh City’s day at Ainslie Park in the first cup final of the season. However, a late brace saw the Whites lift the trophy as they overcame Salvesen CFC 2-1," writes LUKE WALKER.

As the match began, City set out with a 4-4-2 formation, opting with the striking duo of Arin Tuncay and Keigan Young up top. Salvesen started in a 4-5-1, deciding to utilise the strength of their lone striker Ronan Williams. 

The game started end to end, with both sides looking to edge out their opponents early. Tuncay fired a free kick just wide and then Salvesen’s Williams’ rode several challenges before putting the attempt wide of the target. 

There were several fouls given away but neither side made the most of their set pieces. City couldn’t quite make their possession and extra man up front count, whilst Salvesen were able to stay resolute in defence despite City piling on pressure.

Salvesen’s direct approach from goal kicks helped to allow their Williams’ to ask questions of the City defence, and it was through chasing long balls, and putting pressure on centre-backs that led to the opening goal of the cup final on the half-hour mark. 

William’s pressure on the City backline led to a mix up between goalkeeper and defender and the striker seized the ball and smashed it past Salvesen keeper Moffat, who couldn’t recover.

Following the goal, Salvesen continued to cause defensive issues in the City backline, who seemed to become more and more susceptible to counter as the first-half progressed. 

A promising counter led to another big chance that came from another error between keeper and defender. The ball was spilled by the keeper and the chance fell to Salvesen midfielder Ross Elder, but he couldn’t double the lead as Moffat recovered to make a fine stop. 

Following the goal, Salvesen pushed players forward with Jordan Toni moving further forward to support scorer, Williams.

Before the interval, City were unlucky not to equalise after a clever free-kick routine involving Gab Peter, Graeme Dailey and Tuncay, with the latter’s shot flying just wide of the Salvesen goal. 

The link up play between the two City strikers caused a few late first-half scares. Firstly, Young had a scuffed effort cleared off the line by Salvesen defender Dylan Callander, after Tuncay supplied the pass. Shortly after, the roles reversed with Young showing quick feet to dribble past several defenders before finding Tuncay who fired his shot wide.

  • Half Time:
  • Edinburgh City Whites
  • 0-1
  • Salvesen CFC

Salvesen began the second-half the brighter, with Williams continuing to make in-roads using his strength to uncover defensive frailties. After riding the initial storm, City began to once again mount pressure and Tuncay was beginning to come deeper into midfield to try and create chances. 

Despite this, the Salvesen defence stood firm and weren’t really tested with Edinburgh City being limited to long range efforts. The first big chance of the half fell to the head of City’s Pol Adrian, who headed just over from a corner. 

Then, City began to turn the screw, with Salvesen struggling to get out of their own half. It was a busy spell for Ally Wood in the Salvesen goal, keeping his side in the lead after making two outstanding saves to deny magnificent solo efforts from Dailey and then Tuncay.

City’s introduction of Marcus Duncan was a breath of fresh air into their attack. The substitute was soon testing the agility of Wood, as the keeper was called upon to tip the striker’s dipping effort from range just over the bar. 

Following a rest for Young on the bench, the striker made an instant impact after being reintroduced to the match, rattling the bar with a header. 

His perseverance in front of goal would finally pay off in the 80th minute. Duncan floated the ball to Young in the box, who took a touch on the chest, spun, and rifled it into the top corner of the Salvesen net. It was evident it would only take something spectacular to beat Wood, and Young obliged with a classy volley.

Following from the equaliser it was clear City were on the ascendancy. A massive chance came to winger James Jackson, who looked to capitalise on a spill from the keeper, but

Salvesen’s Chris Spence made a game-saving interception to keep the game even as full- time was approaching.

Despite Spence’s defensive effort, City took the lead in the final minute of play. Duncan turned provider once again - this time his cross found Owen Irvine, who headed past Wood for the match winner. It was a cruel blow for Salvesen, who worked tirelessly throughout the game, but City were more clinical in their search for silverware.

  • Full Time:
  • Edinburgh City Whites
  • 2-1
  • Salvesen CFC


Edinburgh City Whites
Salvesen CFC
1. Jordan Moffat
2. Lucas Armes (c)
3. Jack Sutherland
5. Gab Peter
6. Ryan Murphy
7. Owen Irvine
8. Charlie Cameron
9. Arin Tuncay
16. Jozef Dick
18. Kiegan Young
19. Mitchell Shaw
10. Graeme Dailey
12. James Sutherland
14. Lennox Robertson
15. Marcus Duncan
19. Mitchell Shaw
23. Pol Adrian
1. Alister Wood
2. Kia Haigh
4. Dylan Callander
7. Jamie Thomson
8. Ross Elder
11. Jordan Toni
12. Martin Watt
15. Connor Cheshire
16. Chris Spence
18. Sam Green
21. Ronan Williams
3. Ryan Cornet
9. Thomas Cowie
10. Ronnie Whitehouse
17. Nathaniel Murray
19. Brandon Hazlett
Star Player
Edinburgh City Whites
Salvesen CFC
Magic Moment
Edinburgh City Whites
Salvesen CFC
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments