Home My YFS
Saturday, 11 June 2011 23:28

Bonnyton clinch treble with final victory over tricky Campsie

Written by  Umer Ejaz
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Bonnyton Thistle Under 19s
Campsie Black Watch Under 19s
Competition: West Regional Final
Venue: Petershill, Glasgow 
Date:  11/06/11
Author: Umer Ejaz
A brilliant display by Bonnyton allowed them to complete a memorable treble as they celebrated winning the SYFA West Region Cup. Bonnyton, who beat Campsie just last week 4-2 in a league deciding play-off, ensured they continued their run with great gritty display of football.
Though the match started slowly in the first five minutes, the first chance fell down to Bonnyton, Ryan McKie was played in by his team mates but as he ran towards Matthew Darroch’s goal, his shot was well saved by Darroch as he managed to push the ball away for a corner down on his left. Three minutes later, Bonnyton had the ball in the goals, though the assistant ref ruled it out for offside. 
From here on the game settled down and neither side really had any real chances until the twenty second mark, where Bonnyton this time on the fourth chance of asking managed to score after their last three chances were all ruled out to be offside. Ryan McKie ran down the left but instead of crossing, he somehow managed to skip right down to the by line and pull a low cross back to Mark Armour who tapped into the bottom left hand corner from ten yards out gave his team the lead. 
Six minutes later, it was Campsie who this time had a goal disallowed for offside. Steven Aitken managed to force Christopher Murchie into a spectacular save but unfortunately Dominc O’Halloran’s follow up was adjudged to have been offside. Four minutes later, Campsie should really have taken the lead. As they whipped a corner into Bonnyton’s penalty area, Rory Finlayson out jumped his marker and managed to get a header on target but he saw his header spectacularly tipped on to the underside of the bar by Murchie. 
From there on, both sides fought hard to keep possession of the ball, but all it resulted in was frustration for both teams as they gave fouls away. 
Both teams went in at half-time knowing that they both could raise their game to a higher level in order to win the cup. 
Half Time: Bonnyton Thistle BC U19’s 1-0 Campsie Black Watch U19’s 
The second half turned out to be an entertaining side of football from both teams. Even though the weather turned out to be colder, both teams really upped their game to a level where they looked and felt comfortable in playing. 
Just two minutes into the second half, Campsie found themselves nearly back into the game. Callum Watt ran into Bonnyton’s penalty area, but as the ball came in from the right, Watt couldn’t make any contact with the ball as Murchie in the Bonnyton goal comfortably collected the ball.  Nearly two minutes again, it was Campsie yet again who nearly scored their equaliser, Steven Aitken attempted to go for a long range shot from twenty yards out but his shot was well saved by Murchie in the Bonnyton goal. 
However, five minutes later Bonnyton attempted to put the game beyond Campsie’s reach as Ryan McKie, who was having the game of his life, ran down the right hand side and managed to hit a low cross into the Campsie penalty area, as the ball came in, Greig Mitchell miscued his shot and the ball was instantly cleared by the Campsie defence. However, three minutes later, Campsie paid for their missed chances as they went 2-0 down. Ryan McKie turned yet again provider as he squared his shot to Greig Mitchell who managed to tap in from a few yards out. 
Six minutes later, Campsie nearly pulled a goal back, twice in less than a minute apart. Rory Finlayson the first person headed just over from a corner, as he jumped up the ball went just wide of Murchie’s goal. The second chance fell to Steven Aitken as his header went over the bar from just a few yards out from another corner. 
However, Campsie nearly found themselves 3-0 down as their defence fell asleep and allowed in sub Liam Middleton to go one on one with Darroch in the Campsie goal but as Darroch came running out to meet Middleton, Middleton tried an audacious lob from ten yards out but as he slipped to hitting the lob, the ball went just wide of the left hand post. 
The last two big chances of the game fell down to Campsie. Substitute Ian Auld ran down the right but as he crossed the ball, it proved a bit too much for the on rushing Brendan McCloone who failed to make contact with Auld’s fantastic cross. Though five minutes later, Campsie did manage to pull a goal back but all this proved to be was a consolation goal. Steven Aitken managed to get himself onto the score sheet with a low drill finish to make the score 2-1. 
In the end Bonnyton held their nerve right up to the final whistle to lift the cup as they completed a historic treble. However, credit should be given Campsie who were in the game right up to the last minute of the game and will look back on missed chances.
Full Time: Bonnyton Thistle BC U19’s 2-1 Campsie Black Watch U19’s 
Bonnyton Thistle Under 19s
Campsie Black Watch Under 19s
1.Christopher Murchie
3. Mark Armour 
2. Stuart Davidson
11. Callum Watt
4. Keir White
8. Calum Davidson
9. Greig Mitchell
5. Michael Lennox
6. Adam Alexander
10. Ryan McKie
7. Bryan Taylor
12. Graeme Anderson
14. Paul Young
15. Christopher McFadzen
16. Lewis Strawhorn
17. Liam Middleton
1. Matthew Darroch
2. Rory Finlayson
10. Dominic O’Halloran
9. Steven Aitken
4. Jordan Cousland
11. Nicholas Prentice
6. Paul O’Connor
3. Anthony McDowall
7. Gordon Reid
5. Scott McArthur
2. Brendan McCloone
15. Ian Haddow
12. Ryan Mitchell
17. Darren Miller
14. Ian Auld
YFS Man of the Match: Ryan McKie
YFS Man of the Match: Steven Aitken
Last modified on Friday, 09 August 2013 02:35
Login to post comments