Home My YFS

Edinburgh United see off spirited Cramond

Edinburgh United 4

Cramond FC 0

  • Sunday, 12 October 2014
  • Patsies Road Recreation Ground
  • Under 16´s
  • SERYFL Division 2
Second met third in the U16’s 2nd Division, as Edinburgh United welcomed Cramond FC in what was to be an entertaining match at Patsies Road Recreation Ground. In the end Edinburgh ran out comfortable 4-0 winners, however the visitors cruelly lost their strike force due to injuries and with no substitutes available they were forced to play out the majority of the second half with nine men. 
The opening 45 minutes were evenly contested, with both sides taking to the task with alacrity. Edinburgh United started the brighter, pressing Cramond high up the pitch and looking the more comfortable in possession. 
Edinburgh were first to register a shot on target, Ryan O'donnell initiated a break from deep before finding the run of Dillion Anderson, however his effort was gathered comfortably by the visiting goalkeeper.
O'donnell then fancied a pop at goal himself, picking up a loose ball and letting fly from distance but his effort did not trouble Sam Phillip in the Cramond goal. O’donnell & co were impressive in midfield, showing some lovely touches as well as great energy.
Despite Edinburgh controlling the early stages of the game it was Cramond who had the first clear cut opportunity. Dylan Welsh made good progress down the right and curled the ball towards the head of Mark Mackay who met the cross firmly, but the resulting header flew wide of the target. 
Mackays influence on the game was incremental during the first half, and the dynamic striker was next to threaten. After a determined and pacy dribble down the right flank, he squared the ball into a dangerous area however the ball evaded the on rushing attack allowing Edinburgh to clear. 
Edinburgh threatened next and nearly took the lead as the aforementioned Mackay had been put through on goal for Cramond before being crowded out, Paul Phillip broke with the ball for Edinburgh, before realising a wonderfully well weighted pass for Dillion Anderson in the inside left channel, he skipped past the keeper but this act pushed him wide and the resulting square ball was cleared.
Edinburgh threatened again shortly afterwards, O’donnell showed some neat footwork by beating his man before showing great awareness to feed the ball through for Anderson, but Phillip in the Cramond goal was alert to snuff out the danger.
Edinburgh weren't to be denied for long however, as Anderson put the hosts ahead. After good work from Euan Watson, finding Anderson in the inside left channel the striker kept his composure to slot a cool finish past the onrushing keeper.
The goal seemed to galvanise Edinburgh as they went in search of a second. Anderson nearly doubled his advantage after catching a clean strike at the back post, however it was straight at Phillips. Edinburgh's Phillip was next to threaten his namesakes goal and nearly doubled the hosts advantage with a terrific effort which whistled past the post.
Cramond began to regain a foothold in the game and could have easily levelled proceedings. Jordan O'hagan had picked the ball up in the final third where he fed Mackay a neat pass who's resulting effort was blocked by the onrushing Watt, Ohagan was the recipient of the rebound smashing an effort goal wards which Watt miraculously managed to save with a determined right arm. 
Watt had to be called upon again soon after, a free kick was whipped in by Callum Dixon, causing unrest in the home defence. Ohagan was quickest to react connecting with ball, but Watt was equal to it, diving to his right to tip out for a corner. 
The tenacity and determination of the visiting strike force was providing the platform for Cramonds attacks, and it was Mackay who nearly levelled the game in spectacular fashion. After feeding the ball to Ryan Prunty on the edge of the area, Mackay received a well executed return before striking a clean effort with the outside of the right boot on the volley, unfortunately for Mackay and Cramond the effort clipped the outside of the right hand post.
Cramond continued to press with real energy, this was typified by Mackay who charged down the Edinburgh defence, winning the ball back on two occasions, before winning a crunching but fair 50-50 challenge.  Unfortunately Mackay was injured in the process and was unable to return to the fray.
The game headed towards half time, and Cramond despite their numerical disadvantage had the best chance, there remaining striker Jack Hunter capitalised on hesitancy in the Edinburgh back line before producing a snap shot at goal, however Watt was equal to it. 
The whistle blew on an entertaining  and evenly contested first half, both teams could argue they deserved the lead, however Edinburgh perhaps just shaded it. 
  • Half Time:
  • Edinburgh United
  • 1-0
  • Cramond FC
The home side dominated after the break fully utilising their one man advantage. After a few half chances, Anderson doubled his and his teams tally. Ciaran Fraser curled in a tricky cross from the right, which evaded everyone before finding the Anderson who side stepped his man before firing in from close range. 
O'donnell was next to threaten as Edinburgh continued to be the assertive force. After finding space on the edge of the area, the midfield maestro beat his man before sliding an effort past the post.
Shortly afterwards, Cramond were struck another unfortunate blow as Hunter went down and could no longer continue. With no subs Cramond were forced to plug away with just 8 outfield players. 
Edinburgh took full advantage of this dominating and retaining possession with some lovely passing. There was a plethora of efforts on goal with O’donnel & Henderson going close. It was to be Euan Watson who was next to get himself on the scoresheet though, after being found in acres of space the diminutive striker stroked the ball coolly past the helpless Phillip.
The game was now obviously beyond the visitors, who without the outlet of their impressive strikers, were forced to chase the game for essentially all of the second half. Euan Curle, playing at right back for the hosts was enjoying the freedom created by the numerical advantage and doing all he could to assist in attacks, the right back had a faultless game by all accounts. He was involved in setting up Watson who curled a magnificent effort off the face off the bar denying him a cracking goal. 
Watson was not to be thwarted however as he fired in his second. An intelligent pass from Phillip found him in the box where much like his first goal he remained composed to place the ball into the bottom corner. 

Edinburgh could have added further gloss to the scoreline, after a move involving Curle & O'donnell, it resulted in Henderson firing goal wards from the edge of the area producing a smart save from the opposition keeper.

The final whistle blew on a one sided second half, Cramond can take many positives from the first half & cannot be faulted for there effort in the second 45 where they deserve credit for remaining competitive despite the obvious disadvantage, Edinburgh go marching on after continuing their impressive start to the season, a team full of players who are comfortable in possession with equal amounts of effort & flair. Both teams can look forward to exciting and successful seasons.


  • Full Time:
  • Edinburgh United
  • 4-0
  • Cramond FC


Edinburgh United
Cramond FC
Star Player
Edinburgh United
Cramond FC
Ryan O'Donnell was the star of the show for Edinburgh United, with the midfielder always looking dangerous and a constant threat to the Cramond goal.
Mark Mackay worked extremely hard all game. And was always looking like a threat to the hosts with some great individual play and was unlucky not to bag himself a goal or two.
Magic Moment
Edinburgh United
Cramond FC
Dillion Anderson's very well place finish after some very neat play from Euan Watson. It was a finish that was made to look far easier than it was.
Jordan Ohagan's shot which was somehow saved by Watt in the Edinburgh United goal after a great cross from Callum Dixon. It was great play by the two, who were extremely unlucky not to see their side draw even.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments