Home My YFS

Preston press late on to seal victory over George Watson's

George Watsons 1

Stott 45

Preston Lodge 3

Mannion 20, Grotlin 71, 75
  • Tuesday, 21 October 2014
  • Saughton Enclosure
  • Under 18´s
  • Lothian Schools Senior Plate
George Watson's hosted Preston Lodge in the Lothian Schoools Senior Plate on a cold, windy afternoon at the Saughton enclosure. Both teams had won their first fixtures convincingly, so a good game was always inevitable. 
The game started with both sides passing the ball around well and showing great determination in driving forward. The first chance came within three minutes as the number nine of Preston Lodge, Jonny Grotlin rounded the stand in George Watsons rugby player in goals, but with the angle to tight to get the shot away he was forced to cut the ball back for Daniel Purves whos shot flew over the bar. 
Jordan Killen of Preston Lodge was next to test the Watsons keeper, his long range effort whistled across the surface as the keeper gathered the shot comfartably.
Watson's first chance came eight minutes in as Max Michie hit a high looping shot which caused problems for the Preston keeper as the sun possibly blind sighted him, but he managed to get a hand to the ball and was relieved to see it bounce back off the post. 
Shaun Marshall for Watson's threatened the Preston goal next as he found himself in space, took a touch and then unluckily saw his resulting effort go past the post.
Both sides were certainly up for this game and were playing very neat football. Jonny Grotlin always looked dangerous for Preston Lodge up front, while Michie and Marshall were also causing problems for Preston at the back. 
With around twenty minutes played, the deadlock was to be broken. It was Preston Lodge who opened the scoring as a cross was cleared from the Watson's box, which dropped to the Preston number eleven, Elliot Mannion who's lofted shot sailed over the head of the Watson's keeper who just couldn't reach it. 1-0 to Preston.
Watson's did not let their heads drop and went searching for an equaliser, as Matthew Graham went on a mazy run in the Preston half, beating three players before being brought down just outside the box. But, the resulting free kick was hit just over the bar. 
With half time approaching the two teams were finding chances hard to come by, except for Grotlin's effort which was saved by the Watson's keeper very well to keep the scoreline at 1-0. Until, literally with the last kick off the half Harvey Stott equalised for Watson's with a great effort as his low shot beat Wishart in the Preston goal, low to his right.
  • Half Time:
  • George Watsons
  • 1-1
  • Preston Lodge
The second half got underway, with both sides again playing some good, fast paced football.
Both sides look dangerous from crosses and corners but were just unlucky not to have someone on the end of them as the right ball was played into the ideal areas.
Wishart in the Preston goal had to come out off his line to punch clear ahead of Graham as a dangerous cross was whipped in from the right as Michie was waiting just to head the ball in. 
Efforts from Grotlin and Killen were gathered greatfully from the Watson's keeper as Preston went on the offensive and began to apply more pressure and looked to be the team who were hungrier for the next goal
Seventy minutes in Wishart was called into action as he produced an excellent save down to his right and as the danger was cleared the resulting Preston attack was turned in by Grotlin as he grabbed his first of the game to put his side 2-1 up, with Wishart being the hero. 
This goal seemed to take the life out of the Watson's side a bit or they possibly just began to run out of steam and shortly afterwards the third goal followed as Grotlin managed to turn inside the box to shoot with his left, with the ball going to the keepers left it was diverted past his right as the shot deflected off the Watson's centre half. 
Two half chances were to come from Watson's as they looked to give themself some sort of lifeline. But fortunately for Preston their defence stood strong and saw the game out and the match finished 3-1.
  • Full Time:
  • George Watsons
  • 1-3
  • Preston Lodge


George Watsons
Preston Lodge
1. Kyle
2. Nick Faulkner
3. Adam Macdonald
4. Sam Philp
5. Danny Mclaren
6. Finlay Sheach
7. Marcus Kennedy
8. Joe Mclaren
9. Charlie Barry
10. Matthew Graham
11. Max Michie
12. Chris Halliday
15. James Campsie
17. Shaun Marshall
19. Harvey Stott
23. Stephen Campbell
1. Reece Wishart
2. Liam Reid
3. Matthew Knox
4. Euan Murdoch
5. Cammy Torrence
6. Ross Mcintyre
7. Jamie Purves
8. Jordan Purves
9. Jonny Grotlin
10. Jordan Killen
11. Elliot Mannion
12. Ross Logan
14. Lee Grant
15. Brandon Archibald
16. Daniel Purves
Star Player
George Watsons
Preston Lodge
Max Michie always looked dangerous for Watson's and continually pressed the Preston goal, causing a lot of pressure on the defence and almost catching out Wishart.
Jonny Grotlin was the star for Preston, he was always on the attack, searching for the ball and trying to win everything. He bagged himself two goals, caused havoc for the home sides defence and was a bundle of energy the whole game.
Magic Moment
George Watsons
Preston Lodge
The George Watson's equaliser was a great finish from Stott, it was a hard one to take and he managed to get it right in the corner where the keeper had no chance.
The opener from Elliot Mannion was a moment of magic, some may say he didn't mean the looping shot but I for one know he did. A great shot which was just to high for the keeper.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments