Home My YFS

Kilmarnock Portland celebrate Cup triumph

Kilmarnock Portland FC 4

Sherrie 23' 32' Ewing 44' Dickson 70'

KSC Kilwinning Thistle 0

  • Saturday, 30 May 2015
  • Kilwinning Sports Club
  • Under 13´s
  • CAYFA William Tracey Cup

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]thfootballscotland.co.uk

KSC Thistle were cheered on by their home following at Kilwinning Sports Club, but on the day were unable to prevent an impressive Kilmarnock Portland from lifting the William Tracey Under 13's Cup.
In what was a very competitive opening 20 minutes both sides tried to get a grip of midfield. Portland midfielder Jai Ewing skewed a shot just wide on just two minutes after a fine run into the box.
Slowly the Kilmarnock side were beginning to assert themselves, pressing in midfield and getting into some good positions around the box. On 23 minutes they broke the deadlock, and in spectacular style. Striker Scott Sherrie brought the ball down just outside the KSC box and unleashed a looping half volley high beyond the reach of Jack McLauchlan. 
The goal energised Portland, and particularly Sherrie's appetite for more goals. The KSC defence were not matching Sherrie's movement up front, and sure enough the danger man extended his side's lead on 28 minutes. After some good pressing in midfield Ewing won possession and played an inch perfect through ball through to Sherrie. This time he made no mistake Kilmarnock seemed in full control.
Sherrie could have had a hat trick before half time but McLauchlan proved equal to the task, saving his shot on 35 minutes to keep the interval deficit at two.
  • Half Time:
  • Kilmarnock Portland FC
  • 2-0
  • KSC Kilwinning Thistle
After strong words at half time KSC began the second half trying to push players forward and make an impact on the game. This left them more vulnerable at the back and after four minutes Portland had virtually both hands on the cup with another goal. A corner from the left was swung in and Ewing had space and time to power his header past McLauchlan for number three. The destiny of the cup seemed in no doubt.
To their credit KSC would not allow their heads to drop, and kept pushing forward, trying to pull a goal back. Donald Bell kept running up and pushed a shot just wide on 50 minutes, as KSC enjoyed a spell of possession.
Their opponents were by now happy to sit in and soak it up, and still looked dangerous every time they got forward. Ewing and James McKintyre were denied by good saves from McLauchlan on 58 and 62 minutes. A good interchange by these two almost had Sherrie in for his hat trick on 65 minutes.
Portland went on to put the finishing touches to a memorable victory. After Kyle Horne fired just wide from a KSC free kick, goal number four arrived on 70 minutes. A long ball found its way through to Andrew Dickson, and from just inside the box he fired past McLauchlan to put the icing on the cake for the Kilmarnock side. 
Cue the celebrations. Portland were good value for their win, and after a creditable third place finish in the league can look back on a very memorable season with the perfect grand finale.
  • Full Time:
  • Kilmarnock Portland FC
  • 4-0
  • KSC Kilwinning Thistle


Kilmarnock Portland FC
KSC Kilwinning Thistle
1. Aiden Tasker
3. Ross Craig
4. Dylan McGinley
5. Hugh Gilbert
6. David Smith
7. Ben Leishman
8. Jai Ewing
9. Andrew Dickson
10. Arron Logie
11. Scott Sherrie
12. James McKintyre
14. Kerr Flannigan
15. Matthew Mabon
16. Mark Solerod
17. Ben Crosby
1. Jack McLauchlan
2. Brandon Leckie
3. Sean Spiers
4. Jack Wallace
6. Ryan Olsen
7. Scott McKee
8. Cal Millar McEwan
9. Campbell Reid
10. Liam Howe
11. Ryan Norwood
12. Donald Bell
16. Kyle Horn
17. Jordan Horn
18. Liam Miller
Star Player
Kilmarnock Portland FC
KSC Kilwinning Thistle
Scott Sherrie - dangerous all afternoon with two goals, could have had more.
Donald Bell - kept his side chasing up front and had a couple of goal opportunities.
Magic Moment
Kilmarnock Portland FC
KSC Kilwinning Thistle
Sherrie's spectacular opening goal.
A tough afternoon for KSC, but hopefully they'll look back on making it to the final with fondness.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments