Home My YFS

Irvine Meadow win in nine-goal bonanza

KSC Phoenix 3

Ewing 9' Gaunt 48' Nohar 58'

Irvine Meadow 6

Cherry 8' Lambert 23' 47' Fitzimmons 25' Roden 51' Orr 87'
  • Thursday, 20 August 2015
  • Almswall Road, Kilwinning
  • Under 17´s
  • CAYFA Under 17s League

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

It was an action packed night at Almswall Road in Kilwinning, as both sides served up a goal feast to open their campaigns. The home side have been busy over the summer, bringing together local talent which they hope will gel as the season progresses. Unfortunately for Phoenix their first test was against an experienced and clinical Irvine Meadow side eager to get their season off to a flying start.

Meadow were to pose a threat in the air throughout and almost caught KSC napping within the opening minute. A long ball drifted through to David Cherry just outside the box, and the striker’s lob inched just wide of Murray Greystone’s post.

And it was only a sign of things to come as Cherry found the net eight minutes later. Another high ball went into the box from a Greg Thomson free kick, and KSC struggled to clear their lines. The loose ball fell kindly for Cherry to angle a low shot into the right corner of Greystone’s net.

Conceding might have been just what the home side needed as they marched straight back up the pitch to equalise. Mitchell Ewing pounced on a loose ball at the back to go through on Zack Ryland to put his side back on level terms.

Phoenix were showing great promise going forward, as Ewing and Jordan Nohar stretched the Meadow defence down the flanks, with Jackson Sivewright and Logan Gaunt trying to provide the platform in midfield. 

But for all their good work going forward, they always looked vulnerable in defence, particularly to the high direct ball, and Meadow almost restored their lead from the spot on 14 minutes. Liam Fitzimmons was felled in the box, but Thomson’s spot kick was tipped over the bar by Graystone.

The visitors continued to look dangerous as the half wore on, particularly through some surging runs from Ben Cunningham, and Cherry’s runs around the box. After another good spell Meadow grabbed control of the game on 23 minutes, extending their lead in a two-goal burst.

From a free kick on the left side the ball rebounded of the post into the path of Jamie Lambert, who had the easiest of tap ins. And two minutes later Meadow added number three.

Thomson’s high free kick caused chaos in the Phoenix box, and the ball bobbed around until it found the head of Fitzimmons to nod home from close range. Meadow were now well and truly in the driving seat.

As Cherry went close from a spectacular overhead kick it seemed like the vistors would  kill the game off before half time. Instead KSC enjoyed a good spell in which they should have got themselves back into the game. A Ewing header was headed off the line and Fraser Dempster headed just over from a left hand corner.

  • Half Time:
  • KSC Phoenix
  • 1-3
  • Irvine Meadow

Chances were to fall at both ends in a torrid second half. KSC tried to regroup and get on the front foot but were instead caught out with a familiar sucker punch after just two second-half minutes.

The home defence struggled to deal with a high Jack Roden corner, and Lambert was first to react to angle a half volley high past Graystone. The result seemed in no doubt, but KSC to their credit kept fighting and clawed one back just a minute later.

Jai Houston’s low ball fired into the box and Ryland could only parry the ball out to Logan Gaunt, who tapped home from close range. An instant reply which gave the home side just a glimmer of hope.

But Irvine weren’t to be denied, restoring their three-goal advantage on 51 minutes. Fitzimmons’ long throw into the box found its way into the path of Roden to loop home for number five.

The goal glut continued in the Ayrshire drizzle. Irvine threatened to run riot whenever they got into the KSC half. Daniel Orr’s storming run and shot brought about a fine save from Graystone on 55 minutes.

Sivewright and Gaunt kept trying to get Phoenix going at the other end, and three minutes later the home side had their third goal. From Sivewright’s free kick the ball broke off the wall to Nohar inside the box who made no mistake from point-blank range.

This was still a fierce contest with 20 minutes to go and already eight goals on the board. Meadow looked dangerous at every high ball, with Orr and Cameron Lindsay coming close from headers. Equally the visitors were content to sit in and see the match out as the clock ticked down.

With two minutes left they put some gloss on their win with number six. A fine run and finish from Orr rounded the scoring off in style.

Both sides can take positives from this contest, but Meadow were good value for their win. If this match is a measure of the CAYFA league season ahead, we have a lot to look forward to.

  • Full Time:
  • KSC Phoenix
  • 3-6
  • Irvine Meadow


KSC Phoenix
Irvine Meadow
1. Murray Graystone
2. Blaire Tomlinson
4. Nathan Porte
5. Rauri Dalrymple
6. Rhys Lindsay
10. Lewis McCulloch
11. Jordan Nohar
12. Paolo Harkness
15. Logan Gaunt
16. Jackson Sivewright
18. Mitchell Ewing
19. Jai Houston
20. Harry Mitchell
23. Fraser Hay
24. Fraser Dempster
12. Zack Ryland
2. Jamie Seenan
3. Cameron Lindsay
4. Liam Fitzimmons
6. Jamie Lambert
7. Greg Thomson
8. Ben Cunningham
9. David Cherry
10. Daniel Orr
11. Jack Roden
15. Cameron Inglis
16. Rhys Robertson
17. Josh Hay
Star Player
KSC Phoenix
Irvine Meadow
Jordan Nohar - Good runs stretched visitors' defence down the flanks and scored a goal.
Jack Roden - His deliveries into the box wreaked havoc in the KSC defence.
Magic Moment
KSC Phoenix
Irvine Meadow
Ewing's instant equaliser after nine minutes.
Orr's fine goal at the end was icing on the cake for Irvine.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments