Home My YFS

Gala Fairydean strike at the death to sink KSC Rovers

KSC Rovers FC 2

Larmour 42' Watson 60'

Gala Fairydean Rovers FC 3

Olival 10' 25' 70'
  • Sunday, 01 November 2015
  • Kilwinning Sports Club
  • Under 15´s
  • SYFA InspireSport Round Three

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

In warm November sunshine it was the visitors who finally marched on to the fourth round in dramatic style after an enthralling cup match at Kilwinning Sports Club. A dominant first half display seemed to have given Gala one foot in the next round, but KSC were not for lying down, as they fought back to level the match. Then, in the dying seconds Rodrigo Olival won the tie for Gala, and the match ball with his hat trick.
It was a match played at high tempo throughout, both forward lines contributing to an open attacking game played in a good spirit. Fairydean started the brightest, with Olival and Matthew Roberts finding space in behind the KSC back line to create some early openings. The two combined to set up James Delaney with the first clear chance on seven minutes, who shot just over.
Two minutes later Delaney again had a shot saved by Adam Boyd, but Gala were to make no mistake on 10 minutes as they opened the scoring. Sean Curran floated a searching ball in behind the KSC defence, finding Olival clean through on Adam Boyd’s goal to tuck into the corner.
Gala continued to have the better of early exchanges as they pressed the ball in midfield, with the front trio of Olival, Roberts and Delaney providing plenty of options up front. The visitors almost doubled their lead on 12 minutes as good work from Olival put Sam Kelly in on goal but he shot just wide.
After this difficult opening KSC tried to push out and get their own danger men into the game. Liam Larmour forced a first save from Joshua Bain in the Gala goal on 15 minutes, with Dario Quigley creating space in behind with some good runs alongside him
But just as the home side thought they were finally settling back into the match, Gala went on to double their advantage on 25 minutes. Delaney moved down the left channel and played in Olival, and Boyd got a hand to the shot but couldn’t keep the ball from crossing the line.
Gala had proved ruthless in front of goal in a match of balanced possession. For KSC the only hope now was to get forward and throw caution to the wind, as Aidan Rae and Daniel Watson tried to drive the home side forward from midfield.
Despite this KSC struggled to create clear cut chances and this game could have been beyond their reach before half time, as both Roberts and Kelly struck the woodwork for the visitors. Rovers were still just in the game as the interval deficit remained at just two goals.
  • Half Time:
  • KSC Rovers FC
  • 0-2
  • Gala Fairydean Rovers FC
With KSC having the chance to reorganise at half time, whatever was said at the break made this very much the proverbial game of two halves. Rae and Watson began the half prominently in midfield, as the home side tried to exert some early second half pressure.
And seven minutes into the second period they unlocked the visitors’ defence. Rae moved into space at the edge of the box and played in Larmour who finished from close range to get his side well and truly back in the match.
Rovers went on to pile on the pressure in the Gala half as the visitors tried to sit in and weather the storm. Quigley had a great chance to equalise after 50 minutes, but couldn’t get hold of his shot, and shortly later Craig Archer was thwarted after a fine passing move on the edge of the Gala box.
Gala still looked threatening on the counter, particularly through Olival and Roberts, but large spells were now being played in the visiting half as KSC kept up the hunt for a leveller. Adam Clarke shot just over on 55 minutes after a goalmouth scramble and Watson had two powerful shots well dealt with by Bain, as the game entered a frantic finale.
With 10 minutes on the clock KSC finally had the equaliser their second half showing deserved, as Watson leapt above the defence to head home Archer’s corner kick. The home side now seemed to have all of the momentum but this excellent contest had another twist in store.
Fairydean now pushed out with a cup tie to win all over again, and Olival shot straight at the keeper on 57 minutes, as the game swung end to end. Then Ryan Devlin passed up a glorious chance to win the game for KSC as he was put through by Larmour at the other end.
And just when both sides were beginning to think about extra time, Olival broke KSC hearts with the winning goal. Finding space on the edge of the box, the striker’s opportunist long range shot caught Boyd off his line and the keeper was unable to parry the ball out of the net.
After such a heroic second half comeback it was a harsh way to lose for KSC. They can still take many positives from their efforts. Gala meanwhile can look forward to a home tie with Glenrothes Athletic in the next round.
  • Full Time:
  • KSC Rovers FC
  • 2-3
  • Gala Fairydean Rovers FC


KSC Rovers FC
Gala Fairydean Rovers FC
1. Adam Boyd
2. Connor Montgomerie
4. Adam Clarke
5. Daniel Watson
6. Aidan Rae
7. Cameron Paton
8. Cameron Lee
11. Liam Larmour
16. Craig Archer
19. Thomas Johnstone
20. Dario Quigley
10. Ryan Devlin
12. Graeme Malcolm
1. Joshua Bain
2. Daniel Cairnie
3. Calum Arnott
4. Sean Curran
5. Finnen Gordon-Wooley
6. Lewis McGill
7. Sam Kelly
8. Josh Lamb
9. James Delaney
10. Fergus Johnston
11. Jack Noble
12. Rodrigo Olival
13. Matthew Roberts
14. Lewis Wheeler
Star Player
KSC Rovers FC
Gala Fairydean Rovers FC
Daniel Watson - Kept his team driving forward and sparked the KSC fightback. Scored equalising goal.
Rodrigo Olival - Took the match ball with a superb hat trick, and was a danger throughout the match.
Magic Moment
KSC Rovers FC
Gala Fairydean Rovers FC
Watson's leveller gave KSC hope.
Olival's dramatic late strike was a fitting end to an entertaining encounter.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments