Home My YFS

Five star Largs stun league leaders Kilbride

Largs Spartans FC 5

McShane 18', 57', Allen 59', 73', Griffins, 79'

West Kilbride BC 2001s 0

  • Sunday, 24 January 2016
  • Barrfields Park, Largs
  • Under 15´s
  • CAYFA League 2

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

It was the first outing of 2016 for these two sides at Barrfields, a ground where the league leaders had yet to win. And the record continued as a rampant home side ran in some late goals to get 2016 off to the perfect start.

It was West Kilbride’s first league blemish of the season, and it hots up the title race, with Spartans now very much in the mix for honours in June.

The match turned on a two minute period on the hour mark in the second half, when Spartans third goal all but killed the game. This was a real midfield contest for the large part but the home side looked the deadlier in the attacking third, especially through the movement and pace of David Griffins and Reece Allen’s up front.

It was a cagey opening from both sides, as a midfield scrap ensued for the opening 20 minutes. Both sides were well matched as the ball bounced around looking for a winner to grab hold of the game.

Largs had the first shot at goal from a set piece from just outside the box on 14 minutes. Ben Riley’s shot tested the acrobatics of Robert Jack, the West Kilbride keeper pulling off a fine stop in his first call to action.

The game needed a spark, with theses midfields cancelling one another out, and it duly arrived on 18 minutes with the first goal. Griffins took control of the ball down the right and went on surging run into the box. His squared cross picked out the run of Lee McShane to bundle home under Jack for the opener.

The home side looked the livelier now, boosted by their goal. West Kilbride finally called Largs keeper Cameron McDermid into action on 24 minutes, as Cameron Ferguson’s free kick was punched away to safety.

Griffins then went on another marauding run on 26 minutes, this time down the left, leaving defenders on his wake. His cross fell to Allen but Jack was equal to it, pulling off a fine stop with his legs.

As half time approached the league leaders tried to get the ball down and play, but without really testing McDermid in the home goal. Despite this it was a game very much in the balance at the interval.

  • Half Time:
  • Largs Spartans FC
  • 1-0
  • West Kilbride BC 2001s

The visitors seemed to emerge from the break the livelier as they tried to pick up from where they left off in the second period. Cameron Florence shot just wide from inside the Largs box 4 minutes in, with Cameron Ferguson forcing another save from McDermid one minute later, as West Kilbride tried to turn the screw.

The leaders tried to apply the pressure but the home defence were soaking up everything at the back, with Daniel Herrero-Redden matching the attacking runs of Ferguson, tackling and denying space to the attack. With one goal in it the next goal was to be crucial.

Largs came close to extending their lead on 53 minutes, as McShane brought down Redden’s high ball into the box, but his shot went just over. Then on 57 minutes the home side had an all-important second goal.

Griffins launched a high free kick into the box from the right, and found Allen at the far post. He laid the ball back across goal for McShane to tap home from close range.

The match now turned decisively with Largs extending their lead 2 minutes later. This time a short back pass caught out Jack, with Allen quick to dispossess the keeper on the edge of his area, and walk the ball into the net for number 3.

It was a morale crushing goal for the visitors with the result seemingly in the bag. That said Ferguson and Florence were still trying to engineer things in the middle, in the hope of at least a consolation. But they were getting no joy from a well organised Largs back line.

It became all about damage limitation on 73 minutes, as Largs scored again to put any thoughts of a comeback to bed. Allen was once more quick to latch on to a high ball into the box, to advance through on Jack for number four.

The visitors were by now just playing for full time, as Largs threatened further damage. Riley’s shot from inside the box was tipped onto the post by Jack on 77 minutes.

But Largs had one final ace to play and it was fitting that Griffins capped a fine performance with a goal of his own, beating Jack after another powerful run into the box from the left hand side.

Barrfields remains unhappy hunting ground for West Kilbride after their first hiccup of an otherwise promising season.They stay top and visit Hurlford next weekend. Largs, meanwhile hope to build more league momentum with a visit to Crosshouse BC.

  • Full Time:
  • Largs Spartans FC
  • 5-0
  • West Kilbride BC 2001s


Largs Spartans FC
West Kilbride BC 2001s
1. Cameron McDermid
2. Callum Bone
12. Daniel Herrero-Redden
4. Lee McShane
6. Mitchell Fraser
8. Liam Stewart
9. David Griffins
11. Reece Allen
14. Iain Bell
15. Ben Riley
16. Jamie Mills
13. Andrew Kane
5. Ross Devine
7. Dougall Hill
10. Jordan Machlen
17. William Fox
1. Robert Jack
2. Kai Duncan
3. Ross McVey
4. Thomas Trainer
5. Aedan Shiells
6. Cameron Florence
7. Neil Monaghan
8. Rory O'Neill
9. Callun Murray
10. Cameron Ferguson
11. Jamie Noble
12. Jack Blades
14. Dawen Sanghera
15. David Copperwright
16. Ryan Green
17. Connor Martin
Star Player
Largs Spartans FC
West Kilbride BC 2001s
David Griffins - He laid on a couple of goals and capped performance with a deserved goal at the end.
Cameron Ferguson - He had some nice touches in midfield as he tried to force his team back into the game.
Magic Moment
Largs Spartans FC
West Kilbride BC 2001s
Griffins' surging run and cross on 18 minutes broke the stalemate and sent Largs on their way.
Jack pulled off a fine stop from Allen on 26 minutes, to keep his side in contention.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments