Home My YFS

Accies edge past Queens Park in Scottish Cup Battle

Hamilton Academical U20 4

Cunningham 25, Breen 85, Tierney 92, Kelly 112

Queens Park U20 2

Walsh 32, A McGlaughlin 56
  • Hamilton Academical U20 4-2 Queens Park U20 (AET)
  • Monday, 02 October 2017
  • SuperSeal Stadium
  • Under 20´s
  • Scottish Youth Cup

Hamilton Academcial U20 needed extra-time to overcome Queens Park U20 in a Scottish Youth Cup 2nd Round epic at the SuperSeal Stadium.

The support were treated to a six goal thriller that included a penalty and a late red card as Accies booked their place in the 3rd round of the tournament.

Hamilton were missing Lewis Ferguson who was preparing to play France on international duty for Scotland U19. There was an added interest for Robert Walker, a former Hamilton player who is now one of the coaches at Queens Park.

Marc Kelly had the first significant chance of the match for Hamilton after eight minutes when he caught the ball on the edge of the box and his quick-fire shot was met by a routine save by Owen Stott in goal.

Accies gained a foothold on the game playing some tidy passes while Queens Park took a more direct approach when in possession. It almost paid off for the young Spiders when a long ball over the top reached Grant Brennan who smartly beat the offside trap to find himself one on one with Alex Marshall in goal who parried away the attempt. It was the first time Queens Park had managed to exploit the Hamilton rearguard but it would not be the last.

Ronan McGlaughlin spurned a chance from the resulting corner as his shot skewed wide under pressure from the Accies defence. Despite this scare Hamilton stuck to their game plan and continued to dominate with Rico Quitongo looking particularly dangerous down the left flank.

The home side were rewarded on 25 minutes when a neat piece of tika-taka on the left wing unravelled the Queens Park defence and Kelly burst into the box before being brought down with a clumsy tackle. The referee, Gary Logan, showed no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Ross Cunningham stepped up to smash the ball into the right side of the goal.

Hamilton continued to press and Jordan Pender was booked for pulling his opposite numbers shirt when they were breaking up the park on another attack. Ronan McGlaughlin won a free kick for Queens Park soon after and the whipped cross was met by the Hamilton defence before McGlaughlin caught the ball on the volley missing the target by yards.

It was no surprise that Ronan McGlaughlin was involved when Queens Park scored the equaliser. The number 9 fought for scraps in the middle of the park before the ball broke fortunately to Declan Walsh who carried it to the edge of the box beating his man and curling is shot past Marshall into the back of the net.

This was the spark the away side had been looking for and they began to grow in confidence in the match. Accies nearly burst their bubble when a cross from the right wing was met with a free header from Kelly but he couldn't get the effort on target.

Logan called time on a first period that had been evenly contested by the two sides. Hamilton had dominated the early moments before Queens Park clawed themselves back into contention as the half wore on.

  • Half Time:
  • Hamilton Academical U20
  • 1-1
  • Queens Park U20

After the restart the physical nature of the match began to tell as several of the players started pulling up with injuries. Stott, in goal for Queens, started limping after a kick out and was forced to be replaced by Lewis Sanderson.

The home side didn't have their own troubles to seek in goals either. Marshall misplaced a pass to his defender and it was intercepted by the on rushing Andrew McGlaughlin who made no mistake from close range putting Queens ahead in the match for the first time on 56 minutes.

Both sides saw fit to make a change as Queens replaced Pender with James Grant before Accies brought on Robbie Crawford for Lewis Smith.

It was evident at this stage that Queens Park were the better side as they constantly drew careless fouls from the hosts in dangerous areas. Calvin McGrory nearly capitalised on one such free kick but his shot burst through the wall and past the wrong side of the post.

The tempo raised another few notches as the game neared the conclusion with the next goal being crucial to either side. Hamilton rolled the dice and hooked Quitongo for Leon McCann as they pressed for an equaliser.

Their wish was soon granted as Jamie Boyd's rasping shot from outside the box ricocheted into the path of Jack Breen who tapped the ball home past the helpless Sanderson.

Kelly received a yellow card for dissent as tensions began to rise and the striker later fluffed his lines when handed a magnificent chance to win the game in the dying moments. Logan blew his whistle indicating the end of 90 minutes and the beginning of extra-time.

  • Full Time:
  • Hamilton Academical U20
  • 2-2
  • Queens Park U20
The first goal scoring opportunity of extra time landed to Ronan McGlaughlin but his long range shot went well wide of the target. Hamilton then came close to going ahead when Ryan Tierney squared the ball to Cunningham whose shot missed by a whisker. It was a role reversal when Accies made the breakthrough - Cunningham showed a flash of skill on the right side of the box before laying the ball on to Tierney who calmly converted to make it 3-2. Hamilton took the lead into the break continuing the dominance they displayed towards the end of the 90 minutes. Paolo Buzzi replaced Tierney at the interval, the midfielder being given a rest after putting his side in front. In the second half, McGrory had the chance to put the game to bed for good but his glancing header from a cross went just wide of the post. Anxiety crept in for the hosts when Boyd received a second yellow for a late slide tackle and was given his marching orders by Logan. McGrory rattled the bar from the resulting free kick before the ball was crossed back in to the box and the home support held their breath as Andrew Henderson's header missed the target from five yards out. Kelly finally took his chance for Hamilton ending the match as a contest as he ran on to a through ball and dinked over Sanderson who came rushing off his line. The referee gave three blasts of his whistle to end the match with Hamilton grinding out a 4-2 victory in the end. Accies match against Motherwell on Wednesday night has been postponed at the agreement of both clubs so they will next be in action away to Ross County on October 10. Queens Park are set to take on Greenock Morton at Cappielow Park in the Development League West on Wednesday October 4.

Final Result: Hamilton Academical U20 4-2 Queens Park U20 (AET)


Hamilton Academical U20
Queens Park U20
1. Alex Marshall
2. Jamie Boyd
3. Rico Quitongo
4. Danny O'Halloran
5. Adam Douglas
6. Ronan Hughes
7. Ross Cunningham
8. Jack Breen
9. Ryan Tierney
10. Lewis Smith
12. Marc Kelly
14. Taylor Wilson
15. Leon McCann
16. Robbie Crawford
17. Charlie Reilly
18. Sean Slaven
19. Ross Connelly
20. Paolo Buzzi
1. Owen Stott
2. Andrew Henderson
3. Alistair Miller
4. Anton Houghton
5. Lewis Magee
6. Jordan Pender
7. Andrew McGlaughlin
8. Calvin McGrory
9. Ronan McGlaughlin
10. Declan Walsh
11. Grant Brennan
12. Aaron Black
14. Aaron Mooney
15. Daniel Crawley
16. James Grant
17. Luke McCall
18. Cameron Dickson
20. Lewis Sanderson
Star Player
Hamilton Academical U20
Queens Park U20
Ross Cunningham was at the centre of everything positive for the home side. He converted the first half penalty to get the ball rolling and was on hand to assist Tierney as Accies took the lead again in extra time. A dominating display from midfield with some nice pieces of skill to boot.
Ronan McGlaughlin was constantly a thorn in Accies side without getting the goal that he craved. He proved to be a nuisance in the build up to Walsh's goal and continued to be a menace as Andrew McGlaughlin capitalised on a defensive error to score the second. Will be disappointed with the result but can keep his head held high after a waspish performance
Magic Moment
Hamilton Academical U20
Queens Park U20
The intricate play on the left wing during the build up of the first goal was the most eye catching moment as the hosts dominated the first half. The quick break resulted in a penalty that was put away by Cunningham.
Queens going ahead in the second half as their pressure paid off after working their socks off. They matched Hamilton in every department but ultimately it wasn't to be their night.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments