Home My YFS

Banks O'Dee Albion score four to progress in SYFA Challenge Cup sixth round

Banks O'Dee Albion 4

Collins 10, 62, Livingstone 55, Goense 64

Heston Rovers 0

  • Sunday, 28 January 2018
  • Spain Park, Aberdeen
  • Under 13´s
  • SYFA Challenge Cup

DGYFDA side Heston Rovers had a seven hour round trip to contend with as they visited Spain Park to battle the ADJFA’s Banks O’Dee Albion in the SYFA U13’s Challenge Cup fifth round.

The surface at Spain Park was perfect for football. A small rain shower before the game aided passing on the ground and the temperature was surprisingly mild for a January in Aberdeen.

Both sides knew a tie with Cove YFC awaited the winner in the next round, with both teams starting well.

Heston’s Lewis Howat looked a bright spark from the offset. The Dumfries outfits number ten created two chances in as many minutes, first from open play and then a free kick wide right of Albion’s goal that none of his teammates managed to connect with.

It was Albion’s number ten however that made the breakthrough, ironically enough just after the ten minute mark. Damon Collins pouncing after Alfie Knox skinned the Heston full back, his cross resulting in Corey Stevenson getting a shot off, which was blocked and deflected into the path of Collins, who made no mistake with his finish, a half volley into the bottom right.

Heston responded well to conceding, continuing to push for a goal of their own. Albion had however also taken confidence from Collin’s goal and both sides cancelled each other out somewhat for the next period of the game. Both teams creating more half chances rather than full chances, with plenty crosses flashing across goal not being met by any takers.

The next big chance did fall to Heston. Jake McNally watching his shot from outside the area agonisingly trickle wide. For a brief second it had appeared Albion goalkeeper Calum Davie had misjudged the shot and Heston knew they were close to an equaliser.

Heston struggled to maintain a period of dominance for an extended period of time and as expected with the back and forth nature of the game, the next opportunity fell to Albion. Scott Milne put pressure on the visitors defence as he chased a lofted through ball. Heston’s clearance fell as far as Stevenson arriving on the edge of the area. Albion’s man of the match last week, Stevenson struck a sweet half volley that seemed destined for the net, but unfortunately struck the post and bounced out of danger.

The final action of the half saw Albion’s Stevie Livingstone race past two Heston players, only to be outnumbered on the edge of the penalty box. This was to be a warning for the visitors regarding the wingers’ ability to go past opponents.

A tightly contested first half drew to a close with Albion deserving their lead, having created the best chances; however both teams were still very much alive in this tie. 

  • Half Time:
  • Banks O'Dee Albion
  • 1-0
  • Heston Rovers

The second half saw Albion coming steaming out of the blocks, looking to kill the tie.

Heston were possibly starting to show signs of fatigue, perfectly understandable after an early start and long journey north, as the hosts camped out in the DGYFDA’s second placed teams half.

First Jesse Goense created a one on one opportunity for Livingstone. Albion’s number seven latching on to Goense’s well timed through ball, only to be denied by the feet of Heston goalkeeper Euan Brown.

Brown once again bailed his defence out without another fantastic save with his feet just minutes later. Goense this time on the receiving end of a well-timed through ball, only to see Brown save again keeping Albion within reaching distance.

The chances kept falling for Albion, and an overwhelming feeling of now or never must have begun to surround the fourth placed team in ADJFA’s A league. If they didn’t take their chances to extend their lead, Heston might just hit them with a sucker punch.

Heston number 11 Scott Garrett’s runs down the right flank appeared to be their best chance of clawing their way back into the game. Garrett was however dealt with well by Albion’s defenders.

Albion sent the ball narrowly over the bar twice in a matter of minutes. First Goense hooking it over the bar after a scrabble in the box and then Livingstone lobbing the keeper after reaching a through ball that at first appeared to be just too far ahead of him – only to see the ball nestle above the net, as opposed to in it.

Albion’s pressure finally paid off 20 minutes into the second half. Livingstone grabbing a deserved goal as he picked the ball up on the edge of the area, wide on the left, hammering the ball low beyond the reach of Brown’s feet – which had already denied Albion’s number seven.

Albion could clearly smell blood in the water, and while there was still a slim chance for Heston in the game, the hosts were looking to put it beyond doubt.

Albion’s dominance continued, with Heston hardly able to get the ball into the other half of the pitch. Goense, who along with several of his teammates, was looking especially lively, jinked his way into the area past multiple bodies, only to see his shot deflected wide for a corner.

Goense did however; finally get his goal minutes later. Collins, who had scored the opener, set Albion’s number 15 through one on one with Brown and Goense Cooley slotted the ball home, putting his side three goals to the good with under ten minutes to play.

Collins wrapped up the game nicely just minutes later. Callum More laid a pass off to the number ten who, similarly to Goense and Livingstone earlier in the second half, calmly put the ball low passed Brown. This would be the final meaningful action of the game, meaning Collins ensured his two goal would bookend this cup tie.

Albion will be pleased not just with progression in the cup, but also knowing they’ve avoided a travel similar to Heston’s in the next round. Albion will battle another ADJFA side, Cove YFC – who beat Erskine YFC 2-0 earlier in the day. Cove sit in second, two points above Albion in the ADJFA A League.

 Meanwhile Heston while disappointed can take a lot of positives, especially from their first half display and know that had they played hosts instead, this game may have panned out quite differently. 

  • Full Time:
  • Banks O'Dee Albion
  • 4-0
  • Heston Rovers


Banks O'Dee Albion
Heston Rovers
1. Calum Davie
2. Jake Cocker
3. Dylan Boyce
4. Callum More
5. Callum MacGregor (Captain)
6. Connor Daglish
7. Stevie Livingstone
8. Scott Milne
9. Corey Stevenson
10. Damon Collins
11. Alfie Knox
14. Harris Clubb
15. Jesse Marinus Goense
16. Brendan Madden
18. Marcel Okeakawa
1. Euan Brown
2. Matthew Mitra
3. Joshua Watt
4. Andrew Hastings
5. Jake McNally
7. Thomas Gourlay
8. Josh Kelly
9. Owen Brown
10. Lewis Howat
11. Scott Garrett
14. Matthew O'Hagan
17. Lewis Fraser
18. Ben Tullius
19. Danny McCallie
20. Lewis Downie
21. Kieran Brown
Star Player
Banks O'Dee Albion
Heston Rovers
There were plenty of players who could have potentially been named the star player. Goense, Livingstone, Okeakawa and Clubb were just a few names who stood out. However, the star player on this occasion goes to number ten Damon Collins. Collins picked up two goals and an assist and could easily of had a hand in more goals as he was quite literally at the heart of most of Albion's attacks.
Goalkeeper Euan Brown had a lot of saves to make and despite conceding four, it could have been a lot more had the keeper not pulled out multiple impressive saves. All of Heston's side can be praised for their hard work having travelled up early on the Sunday morning, however Brown's two saves with his feet and multiple low dives to prevent the ball nestling in the corners earns him the away star player.
Magic Moment
Banks O'Dee Albion
Heston Rovers
The magic moment for Albion belongs to Stevie Livingstone. Scoring the second goal with a hard drive low into the net with his left foot. The winger still had plenty to do when he received the ball on the edge of the area, turning his body well to make space and score.
The away magic moment was Euan Brown's second save with his feet. This time turning a Goense shot round the post after the striker kept his shot down, at the time keeping his side in the game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments