Home My YFS

Dyce into last 32 with five goal thriller

Written by  Lesley-Ann Taylor

Dyce Boys Club ran out 3-2 winners in a competitive Scottish Cup Fourth Round tie against a battling Spartans team in Aberdeen on Sunday.

The away side soaked up the early Dyce pressure and took the lead against the run of play in the 8th minute. A long ball in behind the Dyce defence was quickly pounced upon by Spartans front man Lewis Reynolds, who coolly slotted low passed the advancing goalkeeper Inglis.

Despite some good Dyce play and dominant possession, the home-side lacked their usual killer instinct in front of goal and the Spartans defence were alert to the increasing Dyce pressure.

The Edinburgh side’s well organised defence were frustrating the hosts and it looked like the team in red and white would preserve their one goal advantage going into the break.

However, shortly before the interval Dyce were back on level terms. Sutherland held the ball up well before feeding into the feet of McFarlane, who curled a fantastic right foot strike into the top corner of Jack Lister’s goal.

Two minutes later, Lister was again picking the ball out of his net. Sutherland, who had assisted the first goal got his name on the scoresheet. A lovely turn on the edge of the Spartans box, created the space for the Dyce striker to hit a low shot which nestled into the left hand corner of the Spartans goal.

The match restarted with Dyce on the front foot, although the North East side could not emulate the fluidity that saw them dispose of their Dunfermline opponents in the previous round.

In the 53rd minute, Dyce forward Miller Keir was fouled inside the Spartans penalty box. Keir stepped up to take the spot kick which thundered off the middle of the crossbar and was cleared by the Spartans defence.

Birthday boy Keir made amends minutes later when he controlled a well-placed pass into the box from Laird to find the net from close range.

The visitors were not out of it yet, and pulled a goal back in the 65th minute. Good work from Harrison on the right, whose low cross was turned into Inglis’ goal by the advancing Joseph Uwandu.

A nervous five minutes remained for the boys in blue and white as the visitors chased the equaliser, but Dyce held on to progress to the next round.

Login to post comments