Home My YFS
Thursday, 12 September 2013 19:18

Galston bag victory against battling Crosshouse

Written by 
Rate this item
(3 votes)
Crosshouse BC
Galston YFC
Nelson 2
Johnston 11
Wilson 22
Ballantine 53
Murdoch 54


U13 Central Ayrshire YFA
Lindsay Park, Crosshouse
11 September 2013

By Kyle Brown
YFS South West Region Reporter

Crosshouse and Galston 2001s served up a five goal thriller at Crosshouse's Lindsay Park. Sam Nelson's fabulous strike from out with the area had Crosshouse 1-0 up inside  two minutes, and even after a great save from a penalty by Crosshouse keeper Ross Sharp, Galston won it by four goals to one after some clinical finishing.
Even though Crosshouse scored in the opening two minutes, it was actually Galston who created the first chance - with left midfielder Alasdair Wood (or Woody as he likes to be known) playing through lone striker Ben Wilson whose shot was well held by Sharp. However, the young goalkeeper punted a long ball which deflected into the path of onrushing winger Sam Nelson, and he duly plucked the ball out of the air before unleashing a marvellous strike from just outside the box in off the post - leaving Galston keeper Regan Menzies no chance at all. 1-0 to the home side.
The game was a great affair in the first half, and totally end to end. Only three minutes after Crosshouse opened the scoring, Galston had a great chance to level from the penalty spot.  A defence splitting through ball from Lyon Kerr found the excellent Dylan Johnston and the small centre midfielder was pushed down. It probably was a foul, however, as Crosshouse argued, their defender was bigger and it appeared the slight Johnston was merely brushed over. 
Wilson stepped up, and blasted it straight down the middle, but Sharp - already diving to his right - somehow got strong hands to the ball and put it over the bar! A wonderful stop by the young goalkeeper.
Crosshouse then had the next chance, Kyle Horner's hopeful long ball finding its way to the goalscorer Nelson, but, in the exact same position he had scored in just eight minutes before, his tame shot was held easily by Menzies.
Menzies’ resulting throw out found its way to Kyle Lennon, and the pacy winger played a great through ball to Wilson but Sharp was quick off his line to smother his second touch just as he was about to pull the trigger.
Galston were beginning to dominate and it looked likely they would score soon. However, Crosshouse’s defence were holding firm so far, and they never looked like crumbling either. It was just a matter of whether Galston could find a breakthrough or not. 
Lennon then again created danger by weaving in between a host of defenders and cutting it back expertly, but the ball evaded everyone. However, it was 1-1 just seconds thereafter; Wilson scooped a pass brilliantly to the onrushing Dylan Johnston who beat the offside trap and fired into the bottom left corner from the Penalty Box D.
Galston created a few more chances in a couple of minutes. Declan Murdoch was one on one following a ricochet but a great slide tackle from backtracking Ryan Turkington prevented a certain goal. Kyle Lennon then fired a stinging shot just wide after blasting across the keeper from afar, having Sharp well beat. Then Woody was played in and hit a looping strike just over - with his boot coming flying off in the process!
It was 2-1 just moments after. Lennon received the ball in his own half, and Wilson timed his run perfectly to meet Lennon's pinpoint through ball and the big striker ran on to finish.
The only other action in the first half was Galston captain Jamie Young putting the ball out for a corner under pressure, and from the resulting corner, Ben Collitian managed to kick the corner flag out of his position - rather than the actual ball!
So anyway, 2-1 to Galston and the first half was a real open game. You felt that either team could have won it here, and the next goal was vital.
In truth, the second half was a considerably duller affair. The play stopped being as end to end, and both keeper were not worked that much in the second half; Regan Menzies was practically a spectator. The game was played in the midfield more as both teams tried to push for a winner. In the end Galston defended well enough whilst also getting the two goals that finished the game off.
It didn't start a midfield battle though. A ricochet about the Crosshouse box resulted in Lennon having a snap shot from point blank range, but Sharp's legs were to the rescue. Credit to the small goalie, he had had an excellent game so far.
Owen Ross was next to try his luck, controlling the airborne ball well, and sending a looping shot from thirty yards into the Sharp’s gloves.
It was over fifteen minutes later that the next piece of real action occurred. Galston substitute Luke Ballantine picking the ball up far out, and his tame effort seemed easy enough to defend, but a slight mix up resulted in it going into the back of the net, rather than to safety. 
At 3-1 though, the game certainly wasn't stone dead. Galston coaches, players and parents alike were left wondering "Could Crosshouse most a comeback here?” The answer would have been yes, but the game truly did become over as a tie four minutes later. 
Crosshouse won a foul ten yards into their half. Galston set an offside trap on the half way line. The bizarre and unorthodox high line looked like it could end in catastrophe, but alas it was obviously well trained upon; Ballantine cleared the loose ball then  Declan Murdoch won a fifty-fifty and raced through on goal, side stepping Findlay Cairns superbly before blasting a great finish home.
The game wasn't quite over yet though. First, Lennon's superb cross met Dylan Johnston's head only a few yards out, but it was somehow blocked.
Then a great one-two between Woody and Johnston resulted in the former cracking a drive off the inside of the post. 
On the stroke of the final whistle, the superb Lyon Kerr drove in on goal. He opted to go alone and ultimately fired wide when a cutback was on - however, he could argue that his dominant display merited him to go for glory!
So, an entertaining affair ultimately ending with the dominant side mounting a good comeback. However, Crosshouse's valiant effort was to be admired, and had they finished a few more half chances they may have won the game.
Full Time: Crosshouse BC 1-4 Galston YFC


Crosshouse BC Galston YFC
99) Ross Sharp
11) Kyle Horner
3) Ryan Turkington
4) Ben Collatian
10) Sam Nelson
15) Cameron McClung
17) Callum Turnbull
6) Kyle Robertson (c)
7) Duncan MacFarlene
9) Harry McClelland
18) Kieron Strawhorn
5) Findlay Cairns
14) Dale Dreghorn
16) Ryan Scott
8) Jamie Robb
1) Regan Menzies
2) Owen Ross
3) Stewart Connelly
4) Adam Marshall
5) Jamie Young (c)
6) Dylan Johnston
7) Alasdair Wood
8) Lyon Kerr
9) Ben Wilson
10) Declan Murdoch
11) Kyle Lennon
12) Gregor Bryden
14) Stephen Walsh
15) Callan Ackerman
16) Luke Ballantine
17) Ross Barrie
There were a few contenders but the goalkeeper Ross Sharp's penalty save was first class and is a fair contender for the award.
The little centre midfielder Dylan Johnstone was class throughout, winning the penalty and scoring the goal that levelled it.
Damien McClelland, Crosshouse Manager said: "It was a good game, very even, particuarly in the first half."
Paddy Lennon, Galston Manager said: "Gid result boays!"
Last modified on Saturday, 14 September 2013 11:50
Kyle Brown

Kyle Brown | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments