Home My YFS
Wednesday, 02 October 2013 00:00

Galston grab win over rivals in Cup

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Galston YFC
Bonnyton Thistle
Hampshire 30, 63
Holding 57


U14 Trans World Soccer Scottish Youth FA Cup
Jamieson Park, Newmilns
28 September 2013
View Photo Gallery

Derbies in the Scottish Cup - games don't come much bigger than that. And as Galston hosted Bonnyton Thistle on Saturday, two teams with a heated history and intense rivalry faced off for a ticket to Round 3. Personal friendships were put on the line in a game much closer than the scoreline suggests. Both teams set up fairly similarly, looking to pack the midfield while Bonnyton captain and Galston local Jack Reid was unavailable for Thistle. Galston grabbed the win by virtue of being the team who grabbed their chances and their ruthlessness and clinical touch sunk a Bonnyton side who worked hard, had slightly more possession and had many shots of their own. A double from ex Pro-Youth man Greg Hampshire helped seal the win for the home side.

The game kicked off under a glorious Ayrshire sun and the first ten minutes showed a sign of things to come as proceedings remained tight and fairly even. The away side had the first real sight of goal when Jamie Hamilton came close from inside the six yard box following a cross from the right, but the Galston defence snuffed out the danger.

Clear cut chances were rare throughout the first half as both teams struggled to cut open their opponent's defences. Bonnyton's Blair Kennedy was busy man-marking Galston's skillful playmaker Kieran Boylan and on Galston's right wing Greg Hampshire was looking ever-ready to exploit any laziness or drop in concentration from Thistle full back Lewis McCabe. Likewise, Galston's towering centre half Craig Roney was winning the tussle between himself and Hamilton after the scare in the opening exchanges.

Bonnyton had enjoyed more possession than Galston in the opening half hour although both teams had spent the same amount of time in and around their opponent's penalty area, although perhaps Galston were looking more likely to score when the likes of Boylan found time on the ball. Bonnyton's neat passing play was undone however and it was in the right wing area where Hampshire was able to lose his marker and break free down the line. He sprinted towards goal before opening the scoring with a terrific finish that sailed over Lewis Campbell and hit the roof of the net. The winger was subsequently mobbed by his team-mates and with the goal coming so close to half time, Galston were able to hold on and go in at the break 1-0 up.

Half Time: Galston YFC 1-0 Bonnyton Thistle
The second half began very differently to the first as it was Bonnyton who came firing out the blocks, looking to find a way back onto level terms early on and manufacturing a chance three minutes in. Winger Matthew Mottram worked the ball into the box from the right-hand side and from that Cammy Neilson forced a save from Galston keeper Daniel Robertson before Mottram volleyed the rebound wide from 14 yards. 

There were few chances of note for the next 15 minutes, with the exception of Galston substitute Findlay Holding's driving run and shot which bounced inches wide of Lewis Campbell's goal following a counter atack. Bonnyton continued to have more of the possession but were having trouble making it count as Galston hounded the away side at every turn and hassled their opponents every time they had the ball.

Galston knew that if Bonnyton scored not only would the scores be level, but momentum would be with Bonnyton. And despite their pressure, there was nothing any of the home side could do to stop Neilson's hot on 55 minutes. Fortunately for the boys in blue and white however - the woodwork could. Stewart Masterton won the ball 30 yards from the Galston goal and slipped in the attacker on the edge of the area. Neilson freed up some space and shaped to shoot but a slight bobble on the 18-yard line sent his shot higher than expected. It looked like glory for Bonnyton as the coaches rose to celebrate only to see the ball crack off the woodwork and away from danger.

The danger wasn't over through for Galston and Masterton and Neilson would team up once more to try and level the tie heading into the last 10 minutes. Masterton picked the ball up infield in similar territory to before and turned his man before laying a through ball into Neilson's path. Neilson advanced into the box and battled with the centre back and the pressure from the defender tamed his left-footed shot which was caught well by the Robertson from seven yards.

Galston would make their opponents pay and their cutting edge showed as they extended their lead by two in the next few minutes. In similar fashion to his earlier run, substitute Holding surged his way down the left-hand side before making his way into the box. He beat multiple defenders with ease during the run and he was able to beat Lewis Campbell in goal too, slotting past him from an angle nine yards out.

Within a few moments Galston all but sealed the tie with a killer counter-attacking goal. A long ball in behind again found HOlding who advanced into the box and sent a cheeky lob over Campbell and into the path of the on-running Hampshire who volleyed home his second of the day on the line. With only seven minutes left, Bonnyton had it all to do and subsequently put more men up front.

However, the switch came too late to cause Galston any real problems despite the away side keeping Galston under the cosh in their own half. When the whistle blew the boys in blue and white were ecstatic as they not only advanced to the next round, but also won their first game of the season.

Bonnyton played well and had the mistakes or the chances they made had different outcomes, this could have went the other way. Galston thoroughly deserved their win and their physical standing will serve them well in the nex round along with the talents of Hampshire, Boylan and Holding.
Full Time: Galston YFC 3-0 Bonnyton Thistle
Galston YFC  Bonnyton Thistle 
1. Daniel Robertson
2. Jack Henderson
5. Aaron Boland
6. Greg Hampshire
8. Cameron Craig
9. Grant Semple
10. Kieran Boylan
11. Cameron McColl
12. Nick Terry
14. Adam Barclay
15. Kris Leggat
16. Liam Murray
19. Connor Ross
21. Craig Roney
22. Daniel Law 
23. Findlay Holding
1. Kevin O'Donnell 
2. Blair Kennedy
3. Brandon Johnstone
4. Jamie Hamilton
5. Andrew Templeton
7. Matthew Mottram
9. Allan Jones
10. Reiss MacMillan
14. David Adams
17. Stewart Masterton
18. Lewis McCabe
20. Cammy Neilson
21. Lewis Campbell
22. James Johnstone
23. Charlie Reid
Craig Roney was superb at the heart of defence while Greg Hampshire's double was crucial in this win. However, Findlay Holding came on and effectively won the game for Galston with his physical presence and direct running.
Blair Kennedy gave an unsung hero's performance in a holding midfield role. He limited Boylan to few touches of the ball and all but marked him out of the game. The vice-captain's passing ability was still evident though and he was 'aye ready' to gee up his team-mates.
Last modified on Wednesday, 02 October 2013 19:27
Ryan Rowe

Ryan Rowe | YFS South West Region Journalist & Bonnyton Thistle Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments