Home My YFS

Ten man Airdrieonians steal the points from Ayr United

Written by  Ayr United


Ayr United
Under 20's Development League West
Somerset Park
12 January 2015
Ayr United under 20's entertained Airdrie United at a cold and windswept Somerset Park on Monday evening with new manager Ian McCall watching from the stand.
The opening encounters were fairly even with chances at both ends. In the fourth minute a good move between Dale Shirkie and Peter McGill saw Shirkie’s shot go just wide. 
At the other end a good header from the Airdrie number eight just missed the post. 
As the first half wore on Ayr became the more dominant team with efforts from Gordon Young, Dale Shirkie and Peter McGill all testing the Airdrie keeper who was having a good match. 
In the twenty seventh minute the Airdrie number six was booked for a foul on Dale Shirkie as he broke forward. The resulting free kick by Michael Wardrope was struck over the bar.
Airdrie came back into the game towards halftime and forced Shaun Newman in the Ayr goal into a good save resulting in a corner which was headed over the bar by the opposition number ten. 
Just before half time Ryan Nisbet ran the length of the pitch forcing a good save from the Airdrie keeper. 
Half Time : Ayr United 0-0 Airdrieonians
The second half started with no substitutions for either side with Ayr shooting towards the Somerset Road end with the wind now behind them. Airdrie were reduced to ten men after two quick bookings for their number ten in the forty eight and fiftieth minutes both for fouls on the Ayr centre back James Lamont.
Ayr then went on to dominate the possession with good interplay between Peter McGill and Shaun McKenzie leading to several attempts on goal. In the fifty seventh minute a good cross by Ryan Nisbet led to a corner which was headed wide by Shaun McKenzie.  
In the seventieth minute Ayr made a double substitution with Dale Shirkie and Gordon Young being replaced by Craig McGuffie and Reagan Ross with the versatile Steven McCreadie (pictured) moving from centre back to midfield.
Ayr continued to dominate possession but failed to create any clear goal scoring opportunities. Airdrie were limited to the occasional breakaway, one of which ultimately proved to be decisive. 
In the eighty fourth minute a long ball from a free kick on the left was met at the far post by their number eight who struck the ball home from close range. As Airdrie held out to the final whistle Ayr’s James Lamont was booked for a foul on an Airdrie forward.
Ayr United dominated the majority of the match and continued to play good football but will see this as three points dropped as they were against ten men for most of the second half.
Full Time : Ayr United 0-1 Airdrieonians
Login to post comments