Home My YFS

Rangers beat Jags to reach Glasgow Cup Final

Rangers 2

Jeffries 23, Jamieson 57

Partick Thistle 0

  • Wednesday, 12 March 2014
  • Murray Park
  • Under 17´s
  • City of Glasgow Cup

David Brockett | YFS West Dunbartonshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Rangers reached the final of the Glasgow Cup with a 2-0 win over Partick Thistle on Wednesday night.

Goals from Josh Jeffries and Sam Jamieson sealed the win for the Gers, who will face the winners of Celtic v Queens Park being played on Thursday.

Thistle started the brightest and had shots on goal from Callum Wilson and Andy McCarthy during the opening exchanges, with both sides lacking a cutting edge in the final third. 

It was the young Jags that had the best change to break the deadlock when striker Neil McLaughlin latched onto a ball over the top, but he was adjudged to have fouled Rangers skipper Ross McCrorie by referee Kevin McElhinney. 

Jason Krones fired over from Jamieson’s cross, while at the other end Mark Lamont had a shot narrowly wide of the post as both teams tried to hit each other on the counter. 

Midway through the first half, Rangers took the lead. After great work from Jamieson out on the left, Jeffries took the ball round Matthew Kerr in the Thistle goal before slotting into an empty net to give the hosts a deserved lead.

Continued bursting runs from Rangers winger Ross Lyon’s saw Thistle full back James Penrice have a busy night, but kept the nippy midfielder at bay.

Both sides were content with keeping possession as the first half drew to a close, with McLaughlin dragging his effort wide as Rangers went into the break a goal to the good. 

  • Half Time:
  • Rangers
  • 1-0
  • Partick Thistle

Within twenty five seconds of the restart, Partick Thistle had the ball in the net. Neil McLaughlin, who caused the Rangers defence problems all night, was played in by influential midfielder Andy McCarthy but his cool finish was ruled out for offside.

Shortly before the hour mark, Rangers doubled their advantage. With Thistle having switched off, Rangers took a quick free kick and Jamieson’s first time effort was out of Kerr’s reach as Rangers took control of the match. 

Just minutes later Rangers had the perfect opportunity to extend their advantage. Ross McCrorie, the twin brother of Robby, displayed fantastic vision with a lofted through ball to Jamieson who headed past Kerr, and only the assistant referee’s offside flag denying a third goal.

Robby McCrorie was called into action with minutes remaining when he rose spectacularly to tip Neil McLaughlin’s postage stamp bound free kick round the wall, evidently justifying his inclusion in Scot Gemmil’s Scotland Under 17 squad. 

The stopper had the last say in a fiery contested match when he dived at the feet of McCarthy to confirm a clean sheet and progression to the final of the City of Glasgow Cup.

  • Full Time:
  • Rangers
  • 2-0
  • Partick Thistle


Partick Thistle
1. Robby McCrorie
2. Aidan Wilson
3. Lewis White
4. Ross McCrorie
5. Jason Krones
6. Max Ashmore
7. Ross Lyon
8. Jack Thomson
9. Sam Jamieson
10. Josh Jeffries
11. Liam Burt
12. Grant Nelson
14. Kyle Bradley
15. Andy Dallas
16. Jamie Barjonas
17. Jamie Brandon
18. Kyle Clark
21. Kieran Wright
1. Matthew Kerr
2. Ian Stokes
3. James Penrice
4. Zack Simpson
5. Paul Millar
6. Callum Wilson
7. Marc Wood
8. Andy McCarthy
9. Neil McLaughlin
10. Mark Lamont
11. Daniel Bonar
12. Mason Mullan
14. Kieran Hill
15. Alex Lynn
16. Jamie McPhee
17. Kieran Laing
18. James Stokes
19. Daniel Graham
Star Player
Partick Thistle
Josh Jeffries. Grabbed the opening goal of the game and linked up well with Jamieson to seal the second goal. Good turn of pace, vision and range of passing.
Neil McLaughlin. The big striker twice came close to giving Thistle a lifeline and was head and shoulders above his teammates.
Magic Moment
Partick Thistle
Ross Lyon's bursting run that almost resulted in a tremendous goal but for a smart stop.
McLaughlin's excellent free kick was matched by an equally excellent save, gave Thistle hope of getting some out of the match.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments