Home My YFS

Rutherglen Glencairn sneak through to Scottish Cup final

Rutherglen Glencairn 1

Davidson 80

Tower Hearts 0

  • Sunday, 09 April 2017
  • New Tinto Park
  • Under 21´s
  • Scottish Cup

Simon Ritchie | YFS West Region Reporter
Articles by Author | Contact Author

Rutherglen Glencairn are through to the final of the Scottish Cup after a narrow victory over Tower Hearts. Jordan Davidson was alive to a loose ball in the Tower Hearts box to slot home the only goal of a tense match, with the defeated side missing a number of opportunities in the second half.

With so much to play for, it was no surprise that both teams looked nervy in the opening stages and struggled to retain possession. The Glens fashioned the first chance of the match after neat build-up play down the left saw David Quinn feed Anton Phinn, but the forward fired wide. And just a couple of minutes later Njablo Ndlovu fizzed one by the same post from distance.

The best attacks for both sides were coming down the left. Michael McLarne twice got in behind the Glens backline but couldn’t quite make anything happen for Tower Hearts. They were the first side to get the ball in the back of the net when Scott Cameron headed home, but he was penalised for a challenge on Chris Truesdale in the Rutherglen goal.

Tower Hearts should have taken the lead when David Seagrave latched on to a ball over the top, but the striker seemed to hesitate and rather than take the chance first time, he laid it back to Cameron. By that time however, Glens defenders were getting back behind the ball and Cameron’s shot took a deflection, taking the sting out of it and allowing a comfortable save for Truesdale.

The keeper launched a quick counter attack and it was time for Glens to be frustrated by a good block, Lee Martin preventing Ndlovu’s shot from troubling the goalie.

  • Half Time:
  • Rutherglen Glencairn
  • 0-0
  • Tower Hearts

While the first half was evenly matched, Tower Hearts dominated the second right from the off. Within minutes of the restart Seagrave struck the top of the cross bar with an opportunistic turn and volley from 25-yards. It was to set the tone for the half, with Tower Hearts coming closer and closer without finding the net.

Sean Hughes was the man at the heart of everything positive for Tower Hearts. After sending an effort just wide from distance, he turned provider to play in Seagrave whose shot was well saved low at Truesdale’s near post. Then Hughes performed a piece of magic to turn away from two Rutherglen players in the centre of the pitch, instantly putting his side on the offensive. He sent substitute Connor Bannigan out wide and made up the ground to be on the receiving end of his cross, pulling off a delightful backheel flick at the near post that deserved a goal but Truesdale was unbeatable.

Martin cutting in from the right and firing over with his unfavoured left foot was the game in a nutshell for Tower Hearts, with nothing quite coming off for them.

With 15 minutes to go the momentum seemed to be against Rutherglen Glencairn, but you can never count this side out when they are down. They looked like they might have fluffed their best chance though when Davidson won a long ball and headed it on for Phinn. Through one-on-one with the keeper it was the chance they had been waiting for, but Daniel McLean pulled off a great save diving low to his left.

Fortunately for the Glens it wasn’t their last chance and with just 10 minutes to go they made the breakthrough. Working their way into the box, Craig Dallas’s through ball was blocked but spun nicely to Davidson. Doing well to get the ball out of his feet his first attempt was blocked under the attention of two defenders but at the second attempt he knocked it into the back of the net.

It was backs to the wall time now for the Glens to defend their lead as Tower Hearts searched for the goal to keep their cup dream alive.

Seagrave nicked in in-front of Truesdale to get on the end of Greg McEwan’s long ball but could only watch his first time effort go narrowly by. Then David Quinn’s 40-yard corss seemed to catch Truesdale out, the Glens keeper caught under the ball, but fortunately for him it also failed to hit the target.

There was no doubting the desire of the Rutherglen boys, with bodies literally on the line, too literally for Craig Young who had to be taken off after a last ditch block to stop Sean Hughes.

In the end it was enough, and a battling performance gets Rutherglen Glencairn into the final. Tower Hearts will feel aggrieved that they created so much for no reward, but it made for an enthralling contest.

  • Full Time:
  • Rutherglen Glencairn
  • 1-0
  • Tower Hearts


Rutherglen Glencairn
Tower Hearts
1.Chris Truesdale
2.Josh McCorry
3.David Quinn
4.Euan Conroy
5.Alex Grier
6.Craig Young
18.Eoghan McKeown
8.Connor McGuinness.
9.Jordan Davidson
10.Njablo Ndlovu
11.Anton Phinn
20.Ryan Clark
17.Craig Dallas
15.Paul Ross Caughey
12.Greg Kane
7.Cameron Ferrier
1.Daniel McLean
2.Lee Martin
3.Michael McLarne
4.Stephen Kerr
5.Ian Paterson
6.Tomas Porter
7.Sean Hughes
8.Blair McIntyre
9.David Seagrave
10.Scott Cameron
11.Greg McEwan
12.Jonathan Forrest
13.Connor Bannigan
14.David Quinn
15.Anthony Hutton
16.Kieron Smith
Star Player
Rutherglen Glencairn
Tower Hearts
Chris Truesdale in goals for Rutherglen Glencairn pulled off a number of stops to keep his side in the game.
Sean Hughes was fantastic to watch on the ball, always looking to beat a man and do something exciting.
Magic Moment
Rutherglen Glencairn
Tower Hearts
The goal sparked passionate celebrations from the team and staff, and was just reward for a match in which they had to give everything just to keep their head above water.
Moments after the restart, Seagrave came the closest any of his Tower Hearts teammates had come all game with a fantastic turn and volley from 25-yards out that almost caught the Glens keeper cold, and would have been a goal to win any semi-final.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments