Home My YFS
Wednesday, 08 June 2011 12:09

Tass Thistle lift cup over ten man Castlepark

Written by  Ross Mitchell
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Castlepark FC Under 14s
Tass Thistle Rovers Under 14s
Competition: CAYFA 14s Liz Ogilvie Challenge Cup Final 
Venue: Blair Park, Hurlford
Date:  05/06/11
Author: Ross Mitchell
Castlepark kicked off the final match of Finals Day at Blair Park, playing against Tass Thistle Rovers with both teams looking to end their seasons on a high.
Castlepark created an early chance for themselves within 5 minutes.  A cross came in from the right wing and was not cleared by the Tass defence.  The ball fell to Jordan Burt who got a shot away but it was well held by Lewis McIntyre.
Tass responded with a good chance of their own.  Dylan Stevenson won a free kick around 25 yards out and took the kick himself.  He hit a powerful shot which was well held by George Scott in the Castlepark goal.
The next chance of the game was also a free kick but went to Castlepark.  It was around 25 yards out and Josh McCully took the kick with his left foot.  He hit a fierce shot towards goal hitting the bar and going for a goal kick.
Around 20 minutes into the first half Castlepark’s Kieran Hollis was sent off in an unusual way.  He was having words with a Tass defender and the referee came over and sent the Castlepark striker off for swearing at the opponent.  The Castlepark players, coaches and fans were furious with the decision.
Tass tried to make their man advantage count and put a lot of pressure of Castlepark while they were in possession.  This pressure led to a mistake in Castlepark’s defensive line allowing Dylan Stevenson to steal the ball from Christopher Wilson. Stevenson drove towards goals but took a poor touch which let George Scott come out and smother the ball.
Castlepark did not let the sending off effect their game and went searching for a goal.  They had a good shout for a penalty turned down by the referee.  Lewis McIntyre came to collect a cross from Castlepark’s right hand side, he dropped the ball and this let Jordan Burt nip the ball away.  McIntyre then tripped the Castlepark striker up but no penalty was given.
The final chance of the first half fell to Tass and produced the first goal of the game.  A cross was not cleared by the Castlepark defence, Declan Brown picked up the loose ball inside the box.  He finished well past the keeper to put Tass 1-0 up going into half time.
Being down at half time was a bit unfair on Castlepark.  They had played very well despite only having 10 men for the majority of the half.  The game would have been a lot different had Castlepark got the decisions, their penalty shout and player being sent off, they feel were unfair.  On the other hand, Tass were very happy with the way the first half went.  They held a lead over their opponents without playing well, they looked to improve their game in the second half and make Castlepark’s 10 men work a lot to wear them out.
Half Time:  Castlepark 0 – 1 Tass Thistle Rovers 
Tass kicked off the second half and looked to score their second instantly.  A good run from Dylan Stevenson got the Tass player into the Castlepark box.  He smashed his shot towards goal but a brilliant save from George Scott stopped Stevenson from doubling Tass’ lead.
Another long run from Stevenson led to Declan Brown doubling Tass’ lead.  Stevenson picked the ball up in the midfield and went on a mazy run out to the right wing.  He got a good cross into the box where Brown arrived unmarked to head in a second goal of the game.
Tass put the game to bed shortly afterward with Brown getting his second of the game.  Stevenson, getting another assist, played Brown through well just inside the area.  Brown finished well past Scott to make it 3-0 to Tass and clinch his hat-trick.
As Tass continued to dominate they were the only team who looked like scoring.  Stevenson won a free kick around 30 yards out on the left wing.  Stevenson took the kick himself and, from a position that looked impossible to do so, hit the bar with a fierce strike.
The game played out with no real chances being made for either team.  However, with the last kick of the game Tass scored again to add insult to Castlepark’s injury.  A tired goal kick from George Scott fell to Marc Farrell who was able to play fellow substitute Kevin Duffy in.  Duffy chipped the ball over Scott who came out to pressure the striker and passed the ball into the empty net to score Tass’ fourth.
Tass Thistle Rovers have won the CAYFA Age 14 Liz Ogilvie Cup to go with their league cup title.
Full Time:  Castlepark 0 – 4 Tass Thistle Rovers

Castlepark FC Under 14s
Tass Thistle Rovers Under 14s
1.  George Scott (GK)
2.  Daniel Alexander
4.  Declan Queen
5.  Christopher Wilson (c)
7.  Clayton Smith
8.  Connor Stewart
9.  Jordan Burt
11.  Steven McKinnon
12.  Kieran Hollis
14.  Rhys Taylor
20.  Josh McCully
6.  Andrew Campbell
10.  Marc Lindsay
15.  Carl Young
16.  Liam McCready
17.  Ryan Linwood
21.  Robbie Fifer
22.  Ryan Stewart
13.  Lewis McIntyre (GK)
3.  Andrew Galloway
4.  Cameron Rainey
5.  John Frew
6.  Dylan Stevenson
7.  James Hopkins (c)
9.  Mark Sinclair
11.  Declan Brown
12.  Martin Frew
14.  Ashley Wilson
15.  Jordan Barr
1.  Mark Young (GK)
2.  Aidan Farrell
8.  Marc Farrell
10.  Kevin Duffy
16.  Calvin Stroyan
17.  Gavin Hynard
YFS Man of the Match: Jordan Burt
Match Officials: K. Mitchell, G. Mitchell, G. Johnston.
YFS Man of the Match: Dylan Stevenson
Last modified on Friday, 09 August 2013 02:37
Login to post comments