Home My YFS
Saturday, 12 November 2011 10:29

East Kilbride bounce back to bag Scottish Cup

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

East Kilbride Girls 13s
Falkirk FC Girls 13s
Competition: SWF Youth Cup Final
Venue: Toryglen Regional Football Centre
Date: 12/11/2011
Author: Paul Elliott

Falkirk FC Girls vs East Kilbride Blacks - Under 13sIn what was a magnificent advert for girls football, EK Blacks won the final at Toryglen and went onto lift the Scottish Cup after an enthralling match with Falkirk.

EK Black kicked the game off and within two minutes Falkirk took the lead through a Leia Glading right foot shot from the edge of the EK penalty area. It was a quick and incisive move that gave Glading the opportunity to score, and she took full advantage to put Falkirk 1-0 ahead.

The opening stages of the match were frantic as the game raced from end to end at rapid pace. East Kilbride's Carla Boyce was a threat to Falkirk on the right wing and showed great pace to power on a dangerous run, the Falkirk defence however dealt was the threat well.

On 6mins Lyndsay McCall came close for EK with an unconventional overhead knee. Her spectacular effort looped over the bar and the pressure was off when the heat was on. Moments later and EK’s Cara McGurn went on a great solo run down the left channel, the ball stuck to her toes as if they were coated in glue and then she picked her spot in the far corner to make it 1-1.

On the 10min mark, Carrie Stoddart blasted a right footed Falkirk free kick through a crowded penalty area but a deflection took it past the post, when it could have ended up anywhere.

EK’s Cara McGurn was heavily involved in the early stages and was a constant threat with her quick feet and surging runs as was Carla Boyce on the opposite wing. They both have bags of pace and EK set out to exploit the flanks from the outset.

However, it was Falkirk who struck next when Kerry-Anne Charles went on a magnificent solo run of her own from the half way line and coolly slide the ball past the keeper and into the net. 2-1 Falkirk.

Kerry-Anne Charles then started to have an impact on the game and her quick feet fashioned a chance to score her second but a good challenge at the vital moment put the ball out for a corner. Falkirk’s Eilidh Flockhart won the header when the ball was whipped into the box and the ball grazed the cross bar on its way over.

Falkirk began to play some good football; keeping the ball on the deck and moving it around the pitch quickly. EK however dug deep and scored an equalizer when Abbey Molyneux pounced on a loose ball in the Falkirk area. A shot from outside the box brought a good save out of the keeper but the little striker popped up right on cue to prod the ball home and make it 2-2.

Shortly after, Carla Boyce put EK ahead for the first time in the match. The ball swung in from a corner kick and Boyce rose to power an unstoppable header into the net via the far post. 3-2 EK.

EK then set about pressing Falkirk and played some football that was pleasing on the eye. Falkirk however sprung a quick attack and only a great challenge by EK’s Chloe Gilfoyle could prevent a clear shot on goal for Falkirk.

With half time approaching, Falkirk went on the hunt for an equalizer through Leia Glading but was met by a solid wall of EK shirts in the final third of the park.

Then EK’s Abbey Molynuex again showed her predatory instincts when she read a pass back and pounced, only to have her shot blocked by the onrushing goalkeeper.

Up the other end of the park and Chloe Gilfoyle of EK managed to match the galloping run on Leia Glading and slide in at the vital moment to prevent a shot on goal for Falkirk. Then just before the half time whistle, Katelyn McGowan of Falkirk came close to equalizing but her right footed effort trickled past the post with the keeper well beaten.

Half Time: East Kilbride Girls Under 13s 3  - 2 Falkirk FC Girls Under 13s

Falkirk FC Girls vs East Kilbride Blacks - Under 13sFalkirk got the second half underway but it was EK who first threatened to score when Lyndsay McCall went twisting and turning into the Falkirk area only for a last gasp challenge by Eirinn Maguire to save the day for Falkirk.

Falkirk’s twinkle toed Kerry-Anne Charles danced her way through the EK defence and it took a great save to deny her a well earned goal for her efforts. It was clear that the second half had finished where the first had ended with chances at both ends constantly being forged.

Ek’s Abbey Molynuex was causing the defence yet more bother when she cracked a right foot shot off the cross bar. The ball bounced out to the wing and when it was lobbed back into the box, Chloe Gilfoyle came close with a strong header.

Eilidh Flockhart then threatened to burst the net for Falkirk with a powerful shot from a tight angle, and then Jess Murphy had a left foot strike shave the post. Falkirk began to take the game to EK with Kerry-Anne Charles casing havoc in the EK area while Leia Glading and Eilidh Flockhart pulled the strings from midfield.

EK then scored again when Abbey Molinuex scored a tap-in after a magnificent mazy run by Cara McGurn. It was the perfect combination of Finesse and killer instinct as the two combined to make the score 4-2 to EK.

Shortly after and Lyndsay McCall blasted over from range as EK tried to put the game to bed but Falkirk were always a threat as the game raged on.

Falkirk’s Kerry-Anne Charles went on an unbelievable run but nobody in a Falkirk shirt could get on the end of her cut back. Then a handball gave Falkirk a free kick in a dangerous area. Kerry-Anne Charles blasted it towards goal but the keeper was equal to it and the ball was scrambled clear.

EK’s Cara McGurn swung her left foot at the ball and her shot grazed the post on the way past and then moments later Falkirk came close when Floclhart’s shot was blocked and the ball broke to Kerry Monro who came close to pulling one back when she shot narrowly over.

In the dying embers of the match, Heather Addison was battling at the back for EK with the clock ticking and Falkirk rapping at EK’s door and it was her challenge that allowed Cara McGurn to break and take the heat off the defence.

It was as good a cup final as you’ll ever see at any level, full of goals, fine football and tremendous entertainment. East Kilbride’s captain Chloe Gilfoyle raised the trophy to cap off a fine performance but Falkirk more than played their part in what was a sensational game.

Full Time: East Kilbride Girls Under 13s 4 - 2 Falkirk FC Girls Under 13s 

East Kilbride Girls 13s
Falkirk FC Girls 13s
1. Katie Dunbar
6. Amy Burrows
5. Beth Ritchie
14. Lyndsay McCall
8. Chloe Gilfoyle
10. Cara McGurn
16. Heather Addison
7. Carla Boyce
12. Stephen Reilly
9. Abbey Molyneux
1. Sophie Laird
2. Jess Murphy
4. Morgan Meldrum
5. Katelyn McGowan
6. Leia Glading
7. Eirinn Maguire
8. Kerry Monro
9. Kerry-Anne Charles
10. Carrie Stodart
11. Eilidh Flockhart
12. Lauren Bruce
16. Mhairi Thom
Match stats: 
Passes completed: 35
Tackles won: 31
Headers won: 13
Shots on target: 10
Shots off target: 8
Corner kicks: 7
Match stats: 
Passes completed: 41
Tackles won: 21
Headers won: 19
Shots on target: 7
Shots off target: 4
Corner kicks: 6
Givova are an Italian sportswear brand (click here to see range) who cover all tiers of the game, from Serie A's Chievo Verona and Catania, to grass roots. They have hit Scotland so look out for YFS team members in their Givova kit at your game!
Givova UK Man of the Match: Abbey Molyneux
Givova UK Man of the Match: Kerry-Anne Charles
Last modified on Thursday, 08 August 2013 18:20
Paul Elliott

Paul Elliott | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments