Home My YFS
Friday, 05 April 2013 13:52

Erskine's dutch triumph - A player's diary

Written by  Callum McMurchy
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Author: Callum McMurchy

Day 1

Following last year’s defeat at the hands of a Dutch team, Erskine YFC Under 15's went into day one with their eyes already set on the trophy, but they knew it wasn’t going to be easy.

The first three games would determine which group your team would be in on the second day, if the boys finished top of their group they would be joining the rest of the teams to play for the main trophy. That’s exactly what they done.

Erskine played Dutch team Juliana Mill first, who were the home side for all the games as they were playing at their ground. The game got into a good start with Argyll Mccoist netting early in the first half to give his team a 1-0 lead going into half time. After the restart two goals from Argyll Mccoist, a goal from Josh Rodgers and a powerful strike from the edge of the box by Adam Glen gave the Scottish team a convincing 5-0 win.

The Scots entered the second game against SV Nootdorp confident that they could add another three points to their tally. A strike from Callum McMurchy from the edge of the box gave Erskine another 1-0 lead going into half time. In the second half goals from Nathan Bain, Josh Rodgers and Argyll Mccoist ensured Erskine the win.

The third match was a hard fought match against English team Wessex YFC. Erskine had to win this match if they wanted to fight for the main trophy, as Wessex were well ahead on goal difference. It took till after half time for Erskine to break the deadlock a Nathan Lang tucked away a tidy volley after a shot from Argyll Mccoist rebounded of the bar, this would be the only goal of the match meaning Erskine were through to face the elites in the second day.

Day 2

Erskine travelled to Vitesse 08s ground to play their matches in the second day. They faced Danish side Van Lose IF in the first match, which could only produce one vital goal from the game. This goal came halfway through the second half as Craig Zokas sent a teasing ball from a corner for Callum McMurchy to volley into the back of the net. VV Sliedrecht were the boys next opponents in the Easter Open. They triumphed 2-0 in this game thanks to goals from Argyll Mccoist and Nathan Lang.

The Scottish team went into the third game of the day knowing only a draw would be needed to send them through to the final, but the 14 year olds only had a winning mentality. A goal from Josh Rodgers in the first half meant they had nine points on the board, until the Dutch opponents Fc Uitgeest netted a header which was the first goal Erskine had conceded the whole tournament. Nerves were showing around the Erskine team as they struggled to gain control of the game until a vital goal from a Josh Rodgers header would win the match for the boys, meaning they were through to the final.

Erskine lined up to shake the hands of Vitesse 08, the Dutch team who would host the Scottish team on their home ground. The boys gained control of the game early on, and never took long to break the deadlock. A floating ball from Craig Zokas mat the head of the leaping Callum McMurchy to head the ball home. Erskine dominated the rest of the match to win comfortably 1-0. This sent an eruption of roars around the stands as Erskine would go on and lift the massive trophy.

Last modified on Sunday, 04 August 2013 18:34
Login to post comments