Home My YFS
Tuesday, 30 April 2013 12:53

Rangers lift Glasgow cup with victory over rivals

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Celtic FC
Rangers FC
McMullan (2)
Ogen (2)


U17 Glasgow Cup - Final
Firhill Stadium

Forde McGhee

By Forde McGhee
YFS West Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @fordemc14

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo Gallery (Courtesy of Phil McCloy)
Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Rangers lifted the Glasgow cup yesterday with a win 3-2 over fierce old firm rivals Celtic in a thrilling match at Firhill. There was easily a lot of distractions for both sets of young players but they coped admirably to put on a fantastic show for the spectators.

The game started off with a high tempo with both sides looking to take an early lead. Celtic's first chance came when Paul McMullan beat his marker on the right hand side and delivered a great ball into the area but the Rangers defence cleared the area well. The Gers had a similar first chance when Calum Waters skipped by numerous players in green to then whip a ball into the box only for Jordan Hart to come and collect.

Rangers thought they had opened the scoring when a free kick from the left resulted in Jordan Hart dropping the ball and Tom Walsh's shot being heroically cleared off the line by Calum Waters.

Celtic looked to try and push for a goal and came close when Calum Waters floated a fabulous ball to Luke Donnelly who took it down on his chest found space and rifled a shot just over the bar. A few moments later Paul McMullan snatched the ball from David Brownlie's feet, the little Celtic striker raced into the box and was after taken down by Brownlie. The referee awarded the Hoops a penalty and booked the Rangers Centre back to most Celtic fans disgust. Paul McMullan stepped up looking confident to take the penalty and the number 9 slotted the ball with ease into the bottom right hand corner of the goal giving Liam Kelly no chance.

Celtic had broken the dead lock and soon after looked like adding another when Luke Donnely chested a ball down to McMullan who volleyed towards goal but the strikers attempt didn't have enough power to worry Liam Kelly in the Rangers goal.

Rangers finally pulled a goal back when Dylan Dykes played a great long ball to Ryan Hardie who controlled well and fired past the Celtic goal keeper to make the scores level once again. The Gers looked like grabbing a second anytime soon and thought they did when Ryan Hardies shot hit the side netting.

Rangers got the their second goal of the game before the closing of the half and it came when Junior Ogen skips by 4 Celtic players and with a bit of luck finds himself in the box, the Rangers number 7 then curled the ball past the Celtic goalkeeper into the back of the net to give his side the lead for the first time in the game.

Ryan Hardie looked like he was getting his second and Rangers third when he chipped the keeper and ran through thinking he was getting a tap in but from nowhere Celtic defender Fiacre rushed in and made a last ditch challenge to keep the Gers striker out.

The half ended with a shortage of drama and goals. No team looked comfortable and both sides were battling for everything on the pitch, anything could happen in the next 45 minutes with both sides both being in with a chance of lifting the trophy, but Rangers having a slender advantage.

Half Time: Celtic FC 1-2 Rangers FC

The second half began and as expected both teams came flying out the traps but it was Rangers who came closest to adding the next goal when Adam Wilson played a through ball to Danny Stoney who fooled the Celtic defender with a dummy left foot shot but his shot with his right foot was punched wide by Jordan Hart.

Aidan Nesbitt showed great footwork to beat his marker and race to the edge of the box but the Hoops 7 dragged his shot just wide of the goal.

Rangers countered a Celtic attack brilliantly and it paid off when Junior Ogen was left unmarked at the back post and volleyed home to double his tally and double his sides lead.

All went pretty quiet for the next 15 minutes after Rangers third goal with Celtic's only real chance coming when Conor McManus drilled a cross in but Rangers defended well.

Paul McMullan looked to stage a late Celtic comeback when he curled the ball into the top right hand corner giving the goalkeeper no chance. That was the striker's second goal of the game and after he was looking dangerous trying to push for an equaliser.

Celtic thought they had that important goal they needed that would take the game further than 90 minutes when Aidan Nesbitts shot was deflected onto the post leaving many Hoops fans with their head in their hands.

Danger man Paul McMullan showed great silky feet to beat 3 Gers players and the lay of Nesbitt on the edge of the box but again the woodwork denying Celtic that important equaliser.

That was the last real chance of the game as Rangers stayed firm at the back and held on to the slender lead they had to the final whistle. Rangers players management and fans alike were delighted to claim the victory in the final and especially over their rivals. It was a great game to watch with its fair share of drama goals and great attacking football from both sides but Rangers were this years Glasgow cup champions and no one could say they didn't deserve it.

Full Time:  Celtic FC 2-3 Rangers FC

Celtic FC Rangers FC

1. Jordan Hart
2. Glen Eadie
3. Calum Waters
4. Conor McManus
5. Fiacre Kelleher
6. Mark Borrowman
7. Aidan Nesbitt
8. Liam Henderson
9. Paul McMullan
10. Joe Thomson
11. Luke Donnely 
12. Jack Breslin
13. Colin McCabe
14. Connor McLaren
15. Aidan Mcllduff
16. Ciaran Lafferty
17. Gareth McDonagh
18. Ryan Caird

1. Liam Kelly
2. Ryan Sinnamon
3. Jamie Mills
4. David Brownlie
5. Greg Pascazio
6. Michael Mossie
7. Junior Ogen
8. Dylan Dykes
9. Ryan Hardie
10. Danny Stoney
11. Tom Walsh
12. Adam Wilson
14. Ben Reilly
15. Lewis Morgan
16. Stepeh Chatterton
21. Jamie Wilson

Paul McMullan is my man of the match because the striker was Celtic's danger man all night and bagged himself a brace.
Junior Ogen is my man of the match because he worked hard up and down the right hand side and was rewarded with two goals.
Last modified on Thursday, 01 August 2013 00:14
Forde McGhee

Forde McGhee | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments