Home My YFS
Sunday, 19 May 2013 21:32

Wanderers end league campaign undefeated

Written by  Paul Regan
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Arsenal BC
Milngavie Wanderers
U14's GADYFL League
St. Monica's PS, Milton
Milngavie Wanderers saw off local rivals Arsenal for the second time in four days to finish their title-winning league campaign undefeated. With all fixtures now completed they sit 12 points clear of Celtic in second place with 58 in total after an incredible 19 wins out of 20, along with one draw. Today they underlined their credentials, following a disappointing first half with a top class second to show why they are champions.

Chances were at a premium in the opening stages and the first one that fell to Milngavie on ten minutes can only be described as a half chance at best: Jonathan Greer drilled a low ball to the back post but it came too fast for Wednesday's two-goal hero Nathan Carmichael and his mis-hit effort went wide. That was to be the last action of note for the winger in the game as he hobbled off to be replaced by Kyle Campbell following a cynical challenge wide on the left.

Scott Simpson pulled the strings throughout the game for Wanderers just as he did in the last game and he played a superb through ball to Mitchell Duffy on twelve minutes but the number 8's shot was deflected into the keeper's hands. Suspicions of handball were raised but the referee fobbed them off. The best chance of the half came on twenty minutes when William Fleming was sent through on goal but his shot was well saved by the feet of the keeper.

The centre back pairing of Josh Shovelin and Jack Carson were doing well to nullify the significant attacking threats that Arsenal possess and as a result the Gunners were limited to pot shots from distance: two stinging efforts within a minute of each other were well held by Jamie Forrester to ensure the teams went in level at the break.

Half time: Arsenal BC 0–0 Milngavie Wanderers

The one-way traffic towards the Arsenal goal continued and Fleming was presented with another great opportunity eight minutes after the restart but his goalbound effort from Duffy's cutback was again well stopped by the feet of Arsenal's man between the sticks.

Then on 49 minutes, Simpson was brought down in the box by the keeper but much to his dismay, the penalty wasn't given. No matter though as the referee was to point to the spot less than a minute later. This time, a shove into the back of Simpson was deemed a foul. Mitchell Duffy then stepped up and placed the ball low into the bottom corner via the post to give the champions a much deserved and very welcome lead.

Jack Carson almost doubled the lead on 52 minutes but he was thwarted by another fine stop from the keeper who palmed away the skipper's point blank header from Simpson's corner. The killer second did arrive though and it was the result of good play between two of the game's substitutes: Kyle Campbell playing in Daniel Cairney who cut onto his right foot before drilling the ball into the bottom corner from 8 yards out.

Campbell then stretched out a leg on the hour mark in an attempt at goal but the keeper gathered before Arsenal went up the pitch and created their first meaningful chance of the game – Joe Slee skillfully got himself into a shooting position inside the box but his near post effort was well parried away by Forrester before the ball was cleared.

Had that gone in, the whole impetus of the game would have changed with Arsenal chasing an equaliser. It didn't though so instead, Milngavie added some gloss to their victory and again, it was one substitute to another with Kyle Campbell taking the plaudits this time. He collected Rory McInnes' low ball into the box and feinted a shot which put the opposing centre back on the floor, allowing him time to compose himself and curl a delightful finish into the top corner.

It was a goal fit to round off any game and was the last action of note for Milngavie's league campaign as they went one better than their previous title triumph by finishing this one unbeaten. Given the disappointment of their regional semi-final defeat to them, it was fitting that it was Arsenal who were comfortably dispatched for the second time in a week.

They now go into the final group clash of their league cup campaign against Celtic on Wednesday full of confidence and in pole position to advance to the final and add to their increasingly crowded trophy cabinet.

Full time: Arsenal BC 0-3 Milngavie Wanderers

Milngavie squad:  Jamie Forrester, Louis Fisher, Jack Carson, Josh Shoevlin, Ben Jenkins, Jonathan Greer, Aiden Young, Mitchell Duffy, Nathan Carmichael, Scott Simpson, William Fleming, Ryan Sweeney, Daniel Cairney, Rory McInnes, Kyle Campbell

Report by Paul Regan
Last modified on Wednesday, 31 July 2013 12:47
Login to post comments