Home My YFS

Milngavie maintain winning streak

Written by 


Milngavie Wanderers
Ralston 3G
12 January 2014
Milngavie Wanderers picked up where they left off as the league season entered 2014 with a convincing 6-1 win over Busby.  Today's opponents came within minutes of being the first team to take points off the champions this season back in November when a late double
from Jack Carson saved the day but it was a different story this time.  Kalvin Warren hit a superb hat-trick while there was a goal apiece for Ben Jenkins, Joe Slee and Alberto Vezza who was instrumental throughout as he deputised for the injured Rory McInnes at right wing back, winning two free kicks which were superbly dispatched by Warren and Slee as well as the penalty with which Warren rounded off his hat-trick.

Wanderers attacked straight from the get go and from a first minute corner the ball came to James Logan on the edge of the box who laid off Joe Slee but he dragged his effort wide.  The opener came after only eight minutes though when Nathan Carmichael played in Kalvin
Warren who superbly lobbed the keeper from the edge of the box.

He nearly had a second a minute later but the keeper was equal to it, holding on to his header from Ben Jenkins' corner kick.  Busby weren't out of it though and curled a good effort just wide of the post on eleven minutes before equalising a minute before half time as
the striker poked the ball under Ross Fisher on the counter attack.

They weren't on level terms for long though and when Alberto Vezza was hacked down on the edge of the box, Warren put his team back in front with the last kick of the half, curling a superb free kick over the wall and into the top corner past the stranded keeper.
Half Time: Milngavie Wanderers 2 - 1  Busby
Ben Jenkins had a couple of chances to double the lead within ten minutes of the restart: first his right footed effort was blocked on 44 minutes before his shot from Warren's cutback was held five minutes later.

There was a scare on 58 minutes when the Busby forward seemed to have rounded Fisher to present himself with an empty net but the Milngavie stopper recovered to pull off a superb stop and maintain his side's advantage.

That save was to prove vital as sixty seconds later, Vezza was fouled in the box just as he was pulling the trigger at the end of another jinking run.  The referee pointed to the spot and Warren stepped up to stroke the ball home for his hat-trick.

Another great run from Vezza on 66 minutes led to another foul and another free kick:  this time Joe Slee stepped up to thump a wonderful dipping effort into the top corner from 25 yards.

Vezza was getting forward more regularly now and looked to have got himself on the score sheet on 68 minutes, lobbing the keeper with a volley from the corner of the box but it somehow bounced onto the crossbar twice before being cleared. 

Busby then went up and drew another fine save from Fisher which again precipitated a goal for the hosts:  Kyle Campbell released Aran McDonald wide on the right and his fine cross into the danger area was flicked into the net by Ben Jenkins who finally got his goal.

McDonald looked keen to turn provider to scorer and had an effort held on 70 minutes before forcing a fine point blank save from the keeper as he followed up Warren's parried effort.

The scoring was rounded off three minutes from time as Alberto Vezza got the goal his contribution merited, collecting Aidan Young's long ball forward and rounding the keeper before slamming the ball home.

With that, Milngavie Wanderers maintain their 100% record after 11 league games this season as well as their 9 point lead at the top of the table.  They can now look forward to two games in a row against second placed Celtic BC in the league and the regional cup second
round respectively. 
Full Time: Milngavie Wanderers 6 - 1 Busby
Login to post comments