Home My YFS

Milngavie one step closer to title after narrow victory

Written by 


Airdrie United BC
Milngavie Wanderers
U15's Glasgow & District YFL
Caldervale High School, Airdrie
09 February 2014
Milngavie Wanderers took a huge step towards their third consecutive league title after a hard fought win over second placed Airdrie to move within three victories of the crown. 
Alberto Vezza stole the show with a fine hat-trick after Kalvin Warren had drawn the Wanderers level with a well-taken free kick to cancel out the home side's early opener.

Airdrie came flying out the traps, looking hungrier all over the park and they were rewarded after less than a minute when a great shot from them dipped beyond Ross Fisher and into the net for 1-0.

Milngavie were slow to respond and Airdrie were looking more likely to double their lead than the visitors were to equalise. Fisher was called into action soon after, getting down low to palm a fierce effort away from goal before quickly getting up to smother the ball before a red shirt could reach the rebound.

James Logan then headed a Joe Slee free-kick over the bar before a touch of class drew Milngavie level on 21 minutes:  Slee was brought down thirty yards from goal on the right hand side and Kalvin Warren sent the resulting free-kick crashing into the net off the underside of the bar.

Milngavie were now on the ascendency and got their noses in front six minutes later when Robbie Donaldson played in Alberto Vezza who evaded one challenge on the edge of the box before advancing and poking the ball beyond the onrushing goalkeeper.

Five minutes later, the lead was doubled when Warren's left-footed shot from outside the box was parried by the keeper but only as far as Vezza who calmly rolled the rebound home from a tight angle with his weaker right foot.

In the dying minutes of the half, Warren sent another free-kick wide and Slee blasted one over before the whistle went to bring the first 40 minutes to an end.
Half Time: Airdrie United 1-3 Milngavie Wanderers
The second half was a far cagier affair with neither team really creating many clear cut chances but it was the Wanderers who extended their lead midway through:  Warren floated a great free-kick to the back post where Vezza somehow out-leapt his considerably taller marker to power a fine header past the goalkeeper to round off his hat-trick.

He nearly had a fourth on 65 minutes but after a good touch 18 yards from goal he sent his effort high and wide before Slee saw his one on one effort touched round the post by the keeper with no resulting corner.

Airdrie were not lying down and meekly accepting their fate though and Fisher somehow managed to grab hold of the ball after a scramble in the six yard box before his side gave them a route back into the game. 
Five minutes from time, after giving the ball away softly on the left, a foolish foul was conceded.  From the free-kick another scramble emerged and this time the Diamonds made no mistake and the ball ended up in the net.

The momentum was now well and truly with the home side and from a corner they got another goal back minutes from the end but that was where the scoring ended as the whistle went to the evident relief of the boys in blue who knew they had just opened up an eleven point lead at the top of the table having now played all their scheduled matches against their nearest rivals. 
Full Time: Aidrie United 3-4 Milngavie Wanderers
Login to post comments