Home My YFS

Milngavie Wanderers take three points with three goals

Written by 


Milngavie Wanderers
Fulham BC
U15s Glasgow & District YFL
Seedhill 3G, Paisley
20 February 2014
Milngavie moved to within six points of the league title with a 3-0 win over Fulham although the performance was not quite as the scoreline suggested with the hosts failing to create many chances inside the penalty area and lacking a bit of urgency at times.
Aran McDonald opened the scoring in the first half in probably the first move where the space on the left hand side was exploited before Nathan Carmichael and Kalvin Warren added to the scoreline in the second half.

Wanderers attacked from the off and the first chance fell to Alberto Vezza whose right-footed volley from outside the box was comfortably held by the keeper and this was a sign of things to come as the champions struggled to work the ball into the box, relying almost exclusively on shots from distance to test the keeper. Before the first ten minutes was out, Kalvin Warren, Jack Carson and Aran McDonald had all tried their luck but to no avail.

The deadlock looked to have been broken on 13 minutes when Robbie Donaldson collected a short corner and drilled the ball low into the six yards box but the keeper somehow stopped the ricochet from going over the line. From another short corner two minutes later Ben Jenkins cross come shot rebounded off the cross bar.

Finally though, Milngavie eventually worked the ball into space on the left hand side after 26 minutes and Jenkins did well to beat his man before dinking an inviting ball into the six yard box where McDonald was waiting to nod home for 1-0.

Jenkins then sent a near identical ball to the penalty spot five minutes later where it was well volleyed home by Vezza but the referee gave a goal kick, feeling the ball had went out before Jenkins delivered.

Fulham also had the ball in the net before half time but it was adjudged to be offside.
Half Time: Milngavie Wanderers 1-0 Fulham BC

Chances were few and far between for both sides as the second period got under-way: ten minutes in, Jenkins delivered a corner into the box where Vezza rose to meet it but it ended up with Donaldson wide on the right who delivered again to Vezza who this time powered his header over.

Fifteen minutes later, McDonald played a great cross to substitute Nathan Carmichael who almost rounded the goalkeeper but he done well to smother it and snuff out the danger.

A minute later the ball was put in the back of the net by James Macmillan but he had strayed offside after Rory McInnes' cross. The all important second goal finally arrived though on 27 minutes when Warren's cross from the left was stabbed home at the near post by Carmichael for his first goal since November.

Four minutes later though, Fulham were almost gifted a route back into the game as Owen Borg found himself through on goal inside the box but Ross Fisher reacted superbly to dive low to his right and hold the ball. 

Five minutes later, Carson headed a Carmichael free-kick wide before the scoring was rounded off a minute from time: Joe Slee laid the ball off to Kalvin Warren 25 yards from goal and he curled a superb effort beyond the keeper and into the top corner.

Ross Fisher (C), Rory McInnes, James Logan, Aidan Young, Ben Jenkins, Robbie Donaldson, Jack Carson, Kalvin Warren (79'), Joe Slee, Alberto Vezza, Aran McDonald (26')

Nathan Carmichael(67'), James Macmillan, Kyle Campbell, Scott Hutton, Josh Shovlin 
Full Time: Milngavie Wanderers 3-0 Fulham BC
Login to post comments