Home My YFS

EDFC secure title with victory over EDFC Villa

Written by 


EDFC Villa
Under-17 DFDL
01 May 2014
There was a real edge to this game with the winner to be crowned Champions The first booking was in 3 minutes and set the scene for a highly competitive, incident packed football match involving two teams from the same parent club - East Dunbartonshire Football Club. 
The game started with EDFC on the front foot, but gradually Villa came more into the game as it settled after the first few minutes. There were few clear cut chances, but lots of action around both penalty areas.
 First to threaten the opposition goal was EDFC from a series of corner kicks, one of which required a punch clear from under the crossbar from Markey in the Villa goal and another broke back to Monaghan who hit the bar with his shot. 
At the other end, O’Donnell was unlucky when put through on the EDFC goal with  Napier coming out and smothering the ball. Next, Irvine beat two Villa defenders shot from the left hand side, with Markey saving well.
 After 25 minutes, Conroy was injured in a tackle in the middle of the park and was replaced by Kundi. Rather than this forced change disrupting Villa, they went upfield and scored the opening goal as Reilly evaded two tackles and placed an excellent pass into the path of Kenney, who shot past Napier and into the  corner of the goal. 
The game was end-to-end as both teams looked to get the next goal.  Robertson was unlucky for EDFC when he chased down a long ball and managed to get to the ball before Markey in the Villa goal, but the ball narrowly went over the bar.
 With seconds remaining in the first half, another EDFC long ball caught out the Villa defence, who were looking for offside, and Irvine coolly shot past Markey for the equaliser.
Half Time: EDFC Villa 1-1 EDFC
EDFC dominated the first 25 minutes of the second half, but were thwarted by an inspired home keeper. Rafferty, McCandlish, Wan and Russell across the Villa back-line were under constant pressure, but produced a series ofblocks and sliding tackles to stop EDFC. 
Kimbala, Brahaj, Savage and Robertson all had good goal bound efforts saved. In particular, a finger-tip save from Markey as Irvine burst through mid-way through the half was top class. 
After weathering the storm and knowing that only a victory was good enough to win the league, Villa got back into the game again. 
The final 20 minutes produced chances for both teams with Kenney being put through three times and bringing out good saves from Napier in the EDFC goal. 
McClure produced a great run from the middle of the park beating a number of players and was close to converting before another last gasp tackle saved the Villa defence.
For the final 5 minutes, Villa went to 3 at the back and 3 up front, but it was EDFC that had the best chances in the final moments. In the 94th minute of the game, a Villa defender was caught on the ball and Robertson drove on and chipped this shot over Markey to win the game.
Congratulation to EDFC on winning the league after an enthralling final  league game of the season. EDFC were presented with the trophy at the end of the game and were sportingly applauded by the Villa squad.
Full Time: EDFC Villa 1-2 EDFC
Login to post comments