Home My YFS

Bankies reach last 16 with narrow win over Echt

Clydebank FC 2

McNaught 25, Clark 82

Echt BC 1

Singer 86
  • Tuesday, 04 February 2014
  • Clydebank HS
  • Under 19´s
  • Trans World Soccer Scottish Youth FA Cup

David Brockett | YFS West Dunbartonshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Clydebank reached the last sixteen of the Scottish Cup after defeating Aberdeen side Echt BC 2-1 on Sunday afternoon. Despite a late fightback from Echt, goals in each half from Kevin McNaught and Harry Clark saw Bankies progress to the next round in what was a great cup tie in difficult weather conditions. 
Clydebank, setting out in a 3-5-2 formation, avoided a scare within two minutes when Echt midfielder Cammy Fraser fired a 25 yard shot wide of Clydebank goalkeeper Paul McKenna’s right hand post.
The hosts should have taken the lead on eleven minutes when striker Harry Clark found himself one on one with Echt goalkeeper Matthew Johnson. Clark rounded Johnson but the latter recovered well to only concede a corner. 
Moments later and it looked as though Clydebank would get themselves ahead. A fine run from Bankies midfielder Fraser Reid saw him beat three men before slipping the ball in for Clark, whose shot trundled narrowly past the post in what was the most clear cut chance up to that point. 
Straight on the counter attack, Echt’s Jordan Bowman’s through ball was intercepted by McKenna who was out sharp to gather comfortably. 
Midway through the first half Clydebank deservedly took the lead. Darren McKinley’s cross was nodded on by Clark to Kevin McNaught, who curled a wonderful shot into the top left hand corner, giving Johnson no chance.   
A few minutes later, McNaught had the chance to double his and his side’s tally. Clydebank were awarded a free kick 30 yards out and, with the wind behind him, he unleashed a ferocious drive that Johnson did extremely well to parry to safety. 
With Echt visibly rattled from going behind, Clydebank continued to press high up the pitch and their quick passing brought yet another free kick in a dangerous area. Ryan McAllen’s curling effort forced Johnson, once again, to save his side by tipping the ball over the bar.
The last chance of the half fell to Clark once more. A long ball, helped by the wind, evaded the Echt defence, but Clark’s shot was tame and Johnson gathered easily.
The half time lead was not only deserved, but a more comprehensive scoreline would not have been unjust.
  • Half Time:
  • Clydebank FC
  • 1-0
  • Echt BC
Immediately after the restart, Scott Wilkie squandered a chance to bring Echt level. A cross from the left fell to Wilkie but his effort went soaring over the bar.
The next ten minutes were a non event as both teams struggled to get a hold on the game. With the wind now behind them, Echt opted for the route one approach but it came to no avail, while Dean Singer was cautioned after a forceful challenge.
On fifty minutes McNaught had another chance to extend Bankies advantage, but his effort crashed off the near post and was cleared to safety.
Seven minutes later Clydebank again could’ve added a second. McAllen won a fifty fifty challenge and set up Clark who flashed his effort wide of Johnson’s post.  
On the hour mark both teams made substitutions with the visitors replacing Wilkie and Fraser with Iain Riddell and Jack Scott, meanwhile Bradley Sinclair replaced Darren McKinley for the hosts.
Clydebank eventually did double their lead with eight minutes remaining. Scorer Kevin McNaught turned provider as his bursting run and hold up play allowed him the space to cross for Clark to finally get his goal.
The goal brought Echt to life and they almost scored after a fantastic one touch counter attack. An intricate series of passes culminated in Matthew Buchan shot being cleared off the line as Clydebank defended in numbers.  
Four minutes from time Echt did find their way back into the match. Dylan Singer’s majestic free kick up and over the wall flew past McKenna to set up a tense finish.
In the end a very competitive game, one in which Clydebank could have and probably should have won more comfortably had it not been for wasteful finishing and a goalkeeping masterclass from former Aberdeen stopper Johnson.
  • Full Time:
  • Clydebank FC
  • 2-1
  • Echt BC


Clydebank FC
Echt BC

1. Paul McKenna
3. Callum Allardyce
5. Jamie Grimes
6. Fraser Reid
8. Ryan McAllen
10. Calum Davidson 
12. Darren McKinley
13. Cameron Morgan
14. Harry Clark
17. Kevin McNaught
19. Josh Sorbie
2. Bradley Sinclair
4. Ross Smith
16. Jordan Campbell

1. Matthew Johnson
2. Danny Blanchard 
4. Ryan Stevenson
5. Calvin McKendrick
6. Cammy Fraser
9. Scott Wilkie
11. Dylan Sinclair
12. Danny Forsyth
15. Matthew Buchan
16. Stuart Lawson
17. Jordan Bowman

18. Jack Scott
19. Iain Riddell
21. Fraser Wynnes

Star Player
Clydebank FC
Echt BC
Harry Clark. Ran himself into the ground and deservedly got his goal in the latter stages of the match. Had it not been for some poor finishes he could have had a hat trick.
Matthew Johnson. The ex Aberdeen goalkeeper was vital in preventing Clydebank extending their advantage on a number of occasions. Best player on the park and unlucky to concede the two he did.
Magic Moment
Clydebank FC
Echt BC
Kevin McNaught's 20 yard curler that put Clydebank into the lead was a turning point in the game and gave the home side the confidence they needed to push on and progress to the next round.
Dylan Sinclair's wonder free kick gave hope to Echt but it was too little to late and was only a consolation. A first class set piece.
Club Views
Clydebank FC
Echt BC
Ryan McAllen, midfielder for Clydebank said: "It was a good performance from the boys but we really should've scored more. I think we're all just relieved to get to through to the next round." Kevin McNaught, scorer of the first Clydebank goal, added: "We had great chances but just didn't put them away. Harry eventually got his goal after i put it on a plate for him, he just couldn't finish his dinner!"
Matthew Johnson, goalkeeper and Man of the Match of Echt, said: "Although we were beaten, I hope I did my bit. I just seem to be able to know how to save goals! Unfortunately we were hoping for a good cup run but that wasn't to be, so we need to focus on hopefully winning the league now."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments