Home My YFS

Steins prove a point as they get revenge over Antonine

Written by 


Antonine BC
Steins Thistle
West of Scotland 21's Premier League
02 November 2014
Steins then had a point to prove going into this game. The game was very even early on with a packed midfield and both teams being forced to play the ball long looking for space, with very few chances being created for either side. 
Steins took the lead on the half hour mark. A free kick awarded to Steins 25 yards out and quick thinking from Captain Aiden McCann seen him take it quickly catching out the Antonine keeper as it went into the bottom corner. 
Antonine were slightly annoyed by McCanns cheek and they lifted the tempo and intensity of the game. 
Steins had to dig in then and match Antonine. Antonine looked dangerous from a couple of corners and with half time approaching thought they had equalised only for McGuiness to pull off a fantastic one handed save. 
From the resulting corner Steins broke quickly and Penman crossed for Watson to glance a header in at the back post. The ref blowing for half time immediately after the restart. 
Half Time : Antonine 0-1 Steins Thistle
The second half started much like the first, with there being a lot of long balls and few chances being created.
Steins were forced into a change after an hour. Tonner picked up and injury and McGuire came on. 
Antonine didn't know what hit them after that. The Antonine players thought that a rugby pitch would be a better place for McGuire and they soon wished he was away egg chasing. 
McGuire bullied the Antonine defence from the off and scored a near post header on the 65th minute from a Watson cross.
Antonine went down to 10 men after a challenge was deemed unacceptable by the referee.
Steins then created several more chances as they they tried to get revenge for the 5-1 defeat and Penman struck the post as Antonine struggled to cope with the egg chaser who narrowly missed a good one on one chance. 
Antonine then scored a fantastic goal as their number 7 broke down the left beat three players before scoring from a very tight angle on 70 mins. 
Steins reacted well, got there shape back and when Penman took a quick throw on the right wing, McGuire flashed the ball across the goal. The ball eventually came to left back Dickson who took his time and picked out McGuire with an accurate low cross and Steins were now 4-1 up with 10 to go. 
Gordon was brought on to tighten up the midfield and almost scored with a great effort that went wide. Centre back McIntosh then evened the numbers after his second yellow. 
Antonine pulled another back after pushing men forward only for Paterson to cross for Brown to steal another on 85 mins. This was a great and well deserved result for Steins that should see them climb above Campsie Blackwatch in the league. 
Full Time : Antonine 2-5 Steins Thistle
Login to post comments