Connect with us

Match Previews & Reports

Bearsden secure silverware after intense penalty shootout

Bearsden Academy and Holyrood Secondary came head-to-head in the final of the U15 GSFA Junior Girls Cup Final and put on a show for spectators at Holm Park.

Hunger for the win was apparent from both sides as a freekick was given to Holyrood in the early moments of the game, as Holly Wilson stepped up to take it, she found a break in the wall to send the ball on target, but it was picked up by Bearsden keeper, Lily Hudson.

Holyrood had another chance moments later as captain Lily McLaughlin made a great run from the edge of her box to the halfway line, but she was stopped in her tracks by Bearsden’s Ellie Fox.

It was Bearsden’s turn next to have a go at goal as a corner found the feet of Anna MacLeod who directed it towards the goal with the inside of her foot, however, it went up and over the bar.

Holyrood managed to find the opener in the 14th minute as Wilson intercepted a short pass at the edge of the Bearsden box and with a powerful right foot fired the ball into the bottom left corner, taking the score to 1-0.

A short water break at the 20th minute allowed the girls to catch their breaths as they headed back onto the pitch hungry for more.

Bearsden were not put off as Miya Webster sent her shot in from just outside the box, but it just went wide and out for a goal kick.

It didn’t take long for Bearsden to find their first goal of the game as Eilidh Russell sent the equaliser in with an impressive run up the right wing, before slotting the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.

Sophia Donnelly was quick to have another go for Bearsden as she managed to dribble the ball into the box, but it was taken from her by Mya Rose Gibb.

Donnelly once again had the opportunity to get another goal, but her powerful shot was well saved by Holyrood keeper, Orla Dunn.

Hudson was soon called into action on the other end of the pitch as Niamh Holloway made an excellent run and had a go at goal, but Hudson managed to get a massive hand to it to block the shot. Holyrood were unlucky not to get the rebound and a scuffle in the box saw the ball eventually go out for a corner.

Nothing came from the corner, but the next goal soon followed as a freekick was awarded to Holyrood and McLaughlin sent an incredible shot into the roof of the net, taking the lead before half-time.

Coming out of the break, both teams were still determined and both defences were worked.

Bearsden quickly found themselves with an open goal but could not find the back of the net to get the equaliser.

McLaughlin had an immense shot from an incredible distance that looked like it was going in to seal Holyrood’s third, but it just drifted over the bar.

Shortly after, McLaughlin had a similar shot from a closer range, but just like the last shot, it drifted over the bar.

Eilidh Russell was then in the box and determined to get Bearsden their second, but she was unlucky to hit the side netting as she took her shot from a tight angle.

Bearsden were once again denied their second as Donnelly took a free kick from just outside the box and the curl made it look like the ball was heading for the back of the net, but it hit off the far post.

In the very last moments of the game, with the last kick of the ball, Eilidh Russell managed to be the hero for her team for the second time as her corner curled in and landed right in the top-right corner of the goal.

It was 2-2 and the game was heading to penalties.

Holyrood were the first up as Holloway stepped up to the spot and sent the keeper the wrong way as the ball landed in the back of the net.

Eilidh Russell stepped up first for Bearsden and her penalty down the middle rattled off the bottom of the crossbar before landing in the goal.

Wilson was next up for Holyrood and, despite Hudson getting a hand to the ball, it was fired into the roof of the net.

Donnelly slid her penalty calmly under the keeper and into the back of the net to keep it all equal.

Erin Jarvis took a nice, easy penalty as it securely slotted into the net.

Fox fired it into the top left corner as things started to get tense in the penalty shootout.

Langa Odhlovo stepped up and took a powerful shot, sending it down the middle, but Hudson didn’t move and managed to save it.

Olivia Bathie was next up for Bearsden and her penalty went over the head of the keeper and into the back of the net.

Holyrood got their fourth penalty as McLaughlin took a lovely penalty, sending it in just left of the keeper.

But in the end, it came to the final penalty for Bearsden and Webster stepped up to the spot with the cup in reach, and she sent it into the top right corner of the goal and Bearsden secured the silverware.

Bearsden Academy Player of the Match: Eilidh Russell

Russell secured both goals for Bearsden to take the team to penalties.

Holyrood Secondary Player of the Match: Lily McLaughlin

McLaughlin had some immense shots, a fantastic goal and her ability to dribble and find space was incredible.

Bearsden Academy Magic Moment:

The equaliser with the final kick of the ball from Eilidh Russell was phenomenal as her corner curled into the back of the net.

Holyrood Secondary Magic Moment:

Lily McLaughlin’s second goal from a free kick was excellent as it rocketed into the roof of the net.



More in Match Previews & Reports