Connect with us

Match Previews & Reports

Cambuslang comeback to outshine Lanark in six-goal thriller

Storm Agnes certainly did not put a dampener on this Friday night clash in the WOSFDL Conference A which saw Cambuslang Rangers comeback from a goal down to win the match 4-2 against Lanark United. Both teams played great football and scored some well-constructed goals, but it was Cambuslang’s night in the end.

The action started right from kick-off as Lanark United’s Kevin Talbot found space on the edge of the box, and his powerful shot went just over the bar in the third minute.

It was not long before Cambuslang had their first big chance as Carson Logan whipped in a dangerous cross which almost caught out Lanark keeper Eoin Wallace, but he pulled off an incredible save to keep the score level in the fifth minute.

Lanark United almost took the lead in the 12th minute as they displayed great pressing to win the ball back in a dangerous area. Kevin Talbot’s curling shot almost found the back of the net but it went just wide of the post.

Lanark were beginning to get on top at this point as they had multiple chances to get ahead. The closest came from a deflected shot by Talbot as his shot redirected off a Cambuslang defender and almost beat keeper Dylan Mclean but he managed to adjust and save the shot.

Cambuslang then came within inches of scoring in the 25th minute as a beautiful cross from Reece Duncan met the head of Cambuslang striker Craig Milne whose header went just past the post.

This gave Cambuslang a boost and they had another big chance a minute later. Keegan Bryce hit a low driven strike from outside the box which forced a class save out of Lanark Keeper Wallace.

Lanark United were not phased though, as in next to no time they got their biggest chance of the match so far. A fierce shot from outside the box struck the crossbar on 27 minutes.

Lanark United finally broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute after a Cambuslang shot forced another wonderful save from Wallace. Lanark cleared the ball up to Kevin Talbot and he showed blistering pace to beat his man and calmly slot the ball past the goalkeeper to put Lanark 1-0 up.

Cambuslang Rangers almost went in on half-time level as Carson Logan’s brilliantly struck free kick almost found the net but another outstanding save from Wallace kept the score at 1-0.

That was all the first-half action. It was an end-to-end half with both teams playing some fabulous attacking football but it was Lanark who led the way.

Cambuslang did not waste any time at all, scoring right from kick-off. Craig Milne was played through, and he put his shot past keeper Wallace to get them straight back into the game.

Cambuslang gained confidence in the second half as they regained possession in some great attacking football and almost took the lead as Rangers’ winger Logan’s shot just went wide in the 52nd minute.

Cambuslang were pilling on the pressure now with lots of good chances and possession and they got their chance to take the lead as they were awarded a penalty after a collision in the box. Ross Mullen stepped up for Cambuslang and slammed the ball home to put his team 2-1 up just before the hour mark.

Cambuslang were in control of the match at this point, and they got an opportunity to extend their lead as they received another penalty after Carson Logan was brought down in the box by keeper Wallace. With no doubt in his mind, the referee pointed to the spot. Things only got worse for Lanark as their keeper Eoin Wallace was sent off on the back of this challenge having already received a yellow card. Mullen confidently stepped up again and fired the ball into the net to make it 3-1.

Cambuslang kept pushing for another goal to make sure of the victory and they did just that with ten minutes to go. Craig Milne latched onto a rebound from a free kick, and he was there to tap the ball in for his second of the match.

The ten men of Lanark kept on trying to create chances and they were able to claw a goal back as they got a penalty of their own. Lewis Robertson stepped up and scored a fabulous penalty as the ball struck the side netting to make the score 4-2.

That was all the action in this Conference A Clash between Cambuslang Rangers and Lanark United. Both teams had a really good go at it as both teams displayed some excellent attacking football, but it was the home side who ran out 4-2 winners.

Cambuslang Rangers Player of the Match: Craig Milne

Milne showed great movement on and off the ball, a blistering pace and he scored 2 good goals.

Lanark United Player of the Match: Kevin Talbot

Talbot displayed great pace, and good finishing skills and his passing was class.

Cambuslang Rangers Magic Moment:

Cambuslang’s magic moment was their lightning-quick equalizer at the start of the second half. Must have been a good team talk at half-time.

Lanark United Magic Moment:

Lanark United’s Magic Moment was their fabulous counter-attack goal in the first half as they were able to turn defence into attack in the blink of an eye.

Cambuslang Rangers U20s

1. Dylan McLean

2. Aiden Ogilvie

3. Aaron Morgan

4. Ross Mullen

5. Reuben Thomson

7. Reece Duncan

9. Craig Milne

10. Keegan Bryce

11. Leo Carson-Dyet

12. Cole Polson

14. Cole Maxwell Logan

16. Carson Logan

17. Josh Carson

18. David Lewis

Lanark United U20s

1. Eoin Wallace

2. Chad Alexander Shand

3. Michael Taylor

4. Christopher Stewart

5. Callum Shearer Mackenzie Bell

6. Ross Steele

8. Lewis Robertson

9. Kevin Talbot

12. Kyle Ireland

14. Darren Hunter

15. Aaron Milligan

16. Charlie Walker

17. Finlay Callan

19. Ryan Kemp



More in Match Previews & Reports