Connect with us

Cove YFC News

Cove celebrate title win in style against Dyce

Cove YFC came out 8-1 victors in the top of the table clash against Dyce BC at Balmoral Stadium which saw them lift the already sealed the ADJFA U17 A League title, a win for Dyce would have seen them finish second ahead of Albion. However, Cove went out in champion-style and cruised to a comfortable victory in an action packed game.

Cove broke the deadlock in the 20th minute after a ball whipped in by Josh Robb met the head of Connor Whyte to get the goal Cove had coming from the first whistle. A quick freekick conceded by Callum Robertson was converted by Danny Robertson as Cove caught Dyce out with a well worked move to double their advantage to two. Two goals in quick succession doubled Cove’s lead and made it 4-0 as Ramsay Davidson exploited the Dyce highline to play in Charlie Rothnie who slotted it past Noah Blanksby in the Dyce net. Grant Moroney got a consolation for Dyce who went into half-time 4-1 down. Dyce came out firing however Scott Milne’s first of the night killed off the game as he got his first goal of three. Anton Chauvin made it 6-1 from a corner before Scott sealed the 8-1 score line with a hat trick on the night and dealt the final blow for Dyce.

Cove started the game on the front foot, dominating play and causing problems for Dyce. However, the first attempt came in the sixth minute for Cove after a wild attempt from outside the box, by Ramsay Davidson rose over the bar. Albeit this was the start of many Cove chances to come.

Cove began asking real questions of Dyce as Charlie Rothnie cut inside after driving into the right side of the box, he had a sight of goal before Jay Galbraith covered and got in the way of the shot that looked certain to find the back of the net, Galbraith kept it 0-0, conceding the corner.

After a poor start Dyce were slowly finding some sort of rhythm, a brilliant Galbraith long throw from the Dyce half met Aiden Hendry who drove down the line, passing the defenders before taking a touch inside as he chose to go for goal, that was gathered by Lloyd Sharp in goal for Cove. Nonetheless this gave Dyce some hope with the score still 0-0 at the 12th minute.

Cove seemed to be doing everything right up until the final third, Thomas Mackenzie went on a run down the byline before playing a few one touch passes with team mates, before cutting it back to Charlie Rothnie who rattled it off the crossbar twice as it bounced back off the line before striking it for a second time, somehow not finding the net, the Cove bench were adamant it crossed the line, whilst sighs of relief were coming from the Dyce dugout as it looked a certain goal in the 16th minute.

However, Cove had to wait no further than the 20th minute to open the scoring, as a cross from the right hand side by Josh Robb which met the head of Cody Whyte who was waiting at the back post, was headed back across goal and past the Dyce keeper, A Cove goal had been coming for a while and they had to wait no longer.

Dyce looked to conjure up a move of their own as Matt McFarlane produced a moment of magic, showcasing his skill as he dribbled past the Cove midfield before releasing the ball to Aidan Hendry who took on the shot from outside the box which forced the Cove goalkeeper into making his first save of the game in the 28th minute of play.

Cove cancelled out Dyce who were slowly getting into gear as they extended their lead to two as a foul conceded by Callum Robertson just in front of the halfway line was awarded. Cove stayed switched on and caught Dyce out with a quick freekick, it was played into Danny Robertson who took a touch before slotting it into the bottom left calmly, from the right hand side of the box in the 30th minute of the game.

The floodgates were well and truly opened as Cove doubled their lead to make it 4-0, by scoring two goals in two minutes. Charlie Rothnie grabbed the first as Ramsay Davidson took advantage of the high line Dyce were playing as he played a lofted ball from his own half that Rothnie ran onto, the keeper was forced to come out however Rothnie provided a cool finish as he dribbled into the box before picking out an angle to loft the ball over Noah Blanksby. The 4th was added after Ewen Robertson met a ball that was chipped into him from the corner of the D, was flicked over the keeper and into the back of the net by the 38th minute as Cove were putting on a real champions performance.

Dyce got a goal on the 40th minute mark. However, it proved to be nothing more than a consolation in the end. Matt McFarlane done great to play a pass to Dylan Boyce who hit it on the volley from the left hand side of the box and forced a save which led to a corner, taken by Damon Collins, sent deep as McFarlane met the original cross before it not getting dealt with and Grant Moroney got the ball over the line and sent his team in with a goal back before halftime.

The half died down before both teams went in for a team talk before the 2nd half. HT COVE 4-1 DYCE

Dyce came out the traps quickly into the second half, creating much more chances and could have merited a goal within the first 10 minutes of the second half. Some great running from Jay Galbraith as he chased down his man from right back forced an error, the ball was then played to Dylan Boyce who struck it first time from inside the box. However, the shot went over the bar.

Dyce never took advantage of their chances created before Cove came back looking for more as Scott Milne scored the 5th Cove goal of the night. A quick throw landed straight to Milne who then provided a composed finish, slotted home into the bottom left corner, to diminish any glimmer of the unlikeliest of Dyce comebacks.

Cove continued to smell blood, after a corner by Anton Chauvin resulted in a second Euan Robertson header to make it 6-1, with plenty time left for more damage to be dealt.

And Scott Milne did exactly that. After a goal to make it 7-1, he added to the brace by sealing the hat-trick in spectacular fashion. A pass was played by Anton Chauvin and it was controlled neatly by Milne as he opened up from just outside the left hand side of the box, and produced a tidy finish, striking the ball with the inside of his boot, it travelled into the right side of the goal, rippling the side netting. As he put the final nail in the Dyce coffin on the night.

The game was not finished yet though, as it turned pretty ugly with both teams seeming frustrated with refereeing decisions. Charlie Rothnie got sent off for Cove after what appeared to be a late tackle on Cammie Strachan, the referee reached into his pocket and pulled out a red card.

With 10 minutes remaining, tempers were high and the referee had not finished with the cards- this time Thomas Mackenzie was sent off. Mackenzie received a straight red card for a late challenge on the Cove player, there could have been another red card as a horror tackle by Callum Duncan was left on Strachan who went off injured after the game stopped play. The referee had a word with the Dyce dugout who appeared unhappy with his decision to not send off the Cove player as Phil Boyce the Dyce manager was left bewildered as to why Cove weren’t left with 9 men

Cammie Strachan was applauded off the park in the 85th minute after leaving the pitch injured.

The full-time whistle was sounded and the match ball was sent out the stadium by a Dyce player who made his frustrations clear as the score line ended in an 8-1 win for league winners Cove, which saw Dyce miss out on runners up in the league.

Overall, a much deserved win for Cove who were seen celebrating the league win which was wrapped up before the game, they showed a cutting edge in front of goal and dominated the game throughout. The result for them is meaningless to their league situation. However, they ended the successful campaign in champion manner and can celebrate the league success properly. Dyce came up against a really strong side and were just second best, whilst they created chances they never capitalised to start a real comeback. Nonetheless, still a successful campaign for them as a team but it is Albion who finish second.

Full Time Summary

Man of the match (Cove) – Scott Milne

Scott’s second half hattrick sealed the win in the style it ended in and he summarised the team’s performance by taking his chances in front of goal when they came, all three goals were really special but the third was the best of the night.

Man of the match (Dyce) – Matt McFarlane

Whilst Matt was on the end of the 8-1 defeat, all good Dyce moves came through him, his skill helped carve chances for his side and showed spark whilst being on the receiving end of the loss.

1. Noah Blanksby
2. Jason Selbie
3. Scott Milne
6. Ramsay Davidson
7. Anton Chauvin
8. Charlie Rothnie
9. Danny Robertson
10. Callum McGregor
11. Josh Robb
12. Cody Whyte
14. Callum Duncan
16. Jamie Rennie
17. Callum Christie
18. Calum Somers
19. Euan Robertson
24. Calum Davie

1. Noah Blanksby
2. Thomas Mackenzie
3. Grant Moroney
4. Aiden Whyte
5. Alan Forbes
6. Louis Rencontre
7. Damon Collins
8. Dylan Boyce
9. Aiden Hendry
12. Cammie Strachan
14. Callum Robertson
15. Jay Galbraith
16. Robbie Jamieson
17. Matt McFarlane



More in Cove YFC News