Connect with us

Match Previews & Reports

Cramond Eagles Under-14’s continue winning streak after victory over Tynecastle Maroon

Cramond Eagles continued their impressive league form, maintaining their 100% league record with a 3-0 win against Tynecastle Maroon in Sunday’s Under 14s 4th Division league tie. Goals from Ewan Russell, Callum Benzoni and Adhvik Gopalakrishnan were enough to clinch the three points for the Cramond side.
Both teams started the game very brightly and after only two minutes played, Cramond were the first to threaten when Ewan Russell burst down the left flank and hit a dangerous ball into the box, which just evaded the far left post of Tynecastle goalkeeper, Daniel Pullen. It was a great ball in from Russell, who went onto have a fine performance in this match.

Tynecastle then had their first opportunities in the match in the 10th minute, where they had two chances in quick succession. Firstly, captain Daniel Stone tried his luck from distance which saw his shot go past the post, and shortly after Cameron Elvin burst through on goal and hit a right footed shot, that looked like it was destined for the corner of the net, but luckily for Cramond it went narrowly past the post. The referee had given a goal-kick, although it did look like Cramond’s goalkeeper, Charles Walwanda may have got a very important touch on the ball to stop it from going in.

Chances continued to arise for both teams, and the match had started in terrific end to end fashion. Only a short time after, Cramond’s Russell who was continuing to get himself into great shooting opportunities found himself busting down the left wing, and into the box, unleashing a left footed shot which Daniel Pullen did well to make sure the ball was put behind for the corner.

The frantic start to the match continued, and Tynecastle had another few chances on around the twenty minute mark, firstly Robbie Marshall from out in the right hand corner flag sent a dangerous looping cross towards the back post, which looked like it was going to drop in at the far post, much to the relief of Walwanda and his defence, it went narrowly past the post. Only a short time after, Walwanda found himself in the thick of the action. Tynecastle’s Elvin burst through one on one following a nice through ball, and he went to take it round Walwanda and he looked poised to finish into an empty net, but Walwanda was equal to the task and made a last ditch tackle, winning the ball in the process, and the ball went out for a Tynecastle throw in.

The deadlock was finally broken on the half hour mark, and it was Cramond who took the lead. Adhvik Gopalakrishnan had possession of the ball around 35 yards from goal, and he played a nicely timed through ball to Russell on the left hand side of the box, his shot was a well hit strike with plenty venom behind the strike, and Pullen in the Tynecastle goal couldn’t keep it out.

Cramond held on going into half time with a one nil lead, in what was an exciting and fairly even first half in which either side could have been leading at the break.

Both teams came out in the second half continuing their attacking gameplan, and the second goal came shortly only minutes into the second period. Tynecastle Maroons had a corner from the left hand side, which was cleared away by the Cramond defence. A moment of magic was to follow as Russell picked the ball up inside his own half, on his favoured left flank. He had evaded a few tackles, running approximately sixty yards towards the eighteen yard box, he composed himself and picked out a fine pass to his teammate Callum Benzoni, who took a touch and from around 10 yards out, took a strike at goal, which was marvellously saved by Pullen, however he could do nothing about the rebound as it was finished by Benzoni high into the net.

Tynecastle nearly clawed a goal back, fourteen minutes into the second half. Kyle Anderson was played through following a great through ball, and Anderson struck the ball sweetly with the inside of his right foot however Walwanda was equal to the task again, and save the ball out for a Tynecastle corner.
Going into the dying stages of the game, Cramond were awarded a free kick approximately twenty five yards from goal. James Steele stepped out and his right foot effort looked like it was heading for goal, but Pullen did well to save and block the free kick out from a corner. Russell’s resulting corner found the way through to Gopalakrishnan, and his effort from 3 yards confirmed victory for Cramond as they went three nil up.

With effectively the last kick of the game, Cramond had a chance to make it 4-0 but Caelan Lynch made an impressive double save denying Cramond’s Cohen Gaddren. Lynch in the Tynecastle goal had started the game in centre midfield, finishing the game in goals as it certainly was an impressive double save.
No further action was to follow, as Cramond get another three points in the league. It certainly was a closer game than perhaps the scoreline suggest, and I think Tynecastle can feel unfortunate they were not to get on the scoreline, however I don’t think there can be any complaints with the result based on Cramond’s second half performance.

Player of the Match
: Cramond’s player of the match goes to Ewan Russell. He was a threat down the left flank throughout the game, and with a goal and two assists, one of which was an impressive marauding run down the left which set up the second goal, he certainly was impressive today.
Player of the Match: Tynecastle’s player of the match goes to Euan Donelly. The Tynecastle centre half was composed on the ball, and was strong and resolute in the tackle, thwarting many attacks.

Magic Moment: As stated in the player of the match report, Ewan Russell’s run for the second goal was impressive. Shades of Gareth Bale as he sprinted down the left flank, dodging tackles to have the vision to find a decisive pass, for his team mate Benzoni to finish.

Magic Moment: Tynecastle were extremely unlucky not to get on the scoresheet within the first half, however the magic moment goes to Caelan Lynch in the Tynecastle goal as his remarkable double stop in the last minute stopped Cramond from extending their lead.



More in Match Previews & Reports